The PTR Is Worthless

That sounds MUCH more reasonable.

Can Symmetra have turrets that can’t be shot out of the sky? That’s a reasonable request too, right? (I’m not being sarcastic in this post, promise)

They don’t test new ideas on the PTR. All of the conceptual tests are done internally with placeholder assents by their own staff (I don’t know all their ratings but I know they include plat and diamonds so its not like they’re all bronze scrubs).

The PTR happens after internal testing gets some fun/interesting results and they want to test for bugs and unforeseen consequences (eg seismic slam being used to climb massive towers due to targeting).

The playerbase of the PTR is so small it isn’t reasonable (or fair to console) to use them as the ultimate test as to what is ok. A lot of people also demand changes for stuff that hasn’t had a chance to see enough Live play (eg: people wanted Doomfist nerfed because RP 1HK sounded OP on paper, but he released in a state next to useless as he rarely got value from it.) Some heroes look weak or strong on paper but can synergise really well or be hamstrung really badly by different heroes and comps.

I’ve got proof they aren’t. The only proof you have is a coincidence and a bug fix.

What is your proof ?

They also did it with Bastion! Let’s not forget the time they released the rework that actually sort of worked with him, and then Jeff played one [censored] match and got killed by a Bastion, then ripped it all up like a giant child.

3 Likes

Well, the two big ones.

Mercy, right off the bat. She’s had hundreds of thousands of posts written about her since her rework. On the new forums, it numbered 15k last time I checked in the megathread alone. The devs don’t have anywhere close that number of posts read; if they’d been reading the Mercy feedback, the number of posts read would be much higher than they are now.

Two, this post from last October, where Jeff outright admits that the Dev team had no idea how bad Doomfist was.

Three, the QOL changes that Sombra’s been getting; Hack cancelling reload, cancelling translocator, these things have been asked for for years, since Sombra’s release. The bugs in her kit, which have been reported and recorded hundreds of times, many of which have remained unaddressed (documented here)

Four, Bastion’s situation. That really needs no explanation.

2 Likes

Long post incoming. My apologies.

Okay…have you read the mercy forums? Almost every post is either #revertmercy or gives an idea of what they should do with no feedback on how she is currently, and very little consideration to the implications of those changes.

Two, That wasn’t Jeff admitting that they had no idea how bad DF was. It was him asking for more specifics on the bugs and problems, rather than just complaining that he was bad or broken. As I recall someone posted a collection of bugs and issues in that same thread which got a sincere thank you response.

Three…this one I don’t have anything for. I’ll concede this point. That is exactly what we should be doing for bugs. That being said, just because they haven’t responded doesn’t mean they aren’t working on them. I’m sure the programming is more complicated than we think.

Four, It might actually need an explanation because I don’t know what you’re referring to. Is it his current state? I don’t think there’s anything incredibly wrong with him outside being rather easily countered. When they gave him his passive, he became a near necessity and could survive far more than he should have been able to, including many ults. The devs heard and realized this, so they adjusted.

Here’s a few examples of them listening to feedback:
Ana - Many people requested that she be able to shoot through teammates for a long time. Now she can. (I do hope that they listen to the requests to make it toggleable though)

Roadhog - After his damage nerf people found him near useless. They wanted a buff, and he got what he currently has. I believe someone asked for the specific buff and geoff responded saying something along the lines of “Actually we are trying just that”

Hanzo - Nearly everyone was complaining about hanzo being too powerful. He’s currently being nerfed on PTR.

Hitscans/Damage falloff - People have been asking for buffs to soldier and mccree and now they’re getting better damage falloff, as well as mei.

It should be noted that Roadhog’s buff was actually one of the more surpriingly meaningful buffs in the game. With Orisa, he’s pretty powerful and once people adjusted he can still consistently one-shot dpses.
Back then, everyone was calling his buff a meme that wouldn’t do anything, but now he’s very viable and is consistently used in the current OWL playoffs. With all the things Blizzard gets wrong, they get two more things nailed instead.

the dev team doesn’t ignore the feedback, they might have a different opinion on how to change sombra though

just because hundreds of people yell about one thing doesn’t mean it is a good thing to implement

TBH they should just skip it, PTR has never done anything.

The playerbase is one thing, but it still comes down to the developers trying to please everyone instead of rethinking their decision. They should focus on trying on those pushing for heroes to be balanced than reworked.

Yeah, that’s not true. A lot of the posts are how to make Rez meaningful, and saying that Mercy is so boring and easy now, that there’s nothing left in her kit that’s interesting.

See, there had been several thousand posts and three megathreads up to that point detailing Doomfists many bugs after his nerf. This comment shows that all of those posts went unread.

Programming is hard, but Brig has had more bug fixes in the month following her release than Sombra has had since she was released. Some of those bugs are old. The translocation bug has been reported for years, and been written off as “oh you just pushed the button too late, git gud.” And those LOS bugs are still there. They should have been added to the updated bug list, having been reported since February. Coding is hard, but they are paid to do this job. It’s their life’'s work. The least they could do is say “we’re working on it.”

He is the second worst hero in the game, second to Sombra. He held the position of worst hero for months until Sombra’'s hack change. Since his ironclad buff and subsequent nerf, he’s been in the gutter and forgotton, despite the thousands of posts asking for a change. It’s right there on the front page of the forums if you want more info.

After a year asking for buffs and being ignored.

Again, after months of being ignored. Gutting a hero and leaving them to rot when they’re done is not listening to peoples feedback.

I concede this, Hanzo is really strong right now. However, not really feedback. A lot of people are saying it’s not enough (I think he’s fine tbh).

Which, again, people have been asking for for years. People asking for a change and then a similar change being implemented a year or two later is not listening to feedback.

Take Sombras rework. Since her hack change and even before, hundreds of threads and posts detailing good and solid ideas that would make her better (I read most of them). Not one of them asked for longer durations on her abilities. They all focused around giving Sombra more options during a fight. And we get the abominatiom on the PTR.

Take Mercy. Haters wanted Huge Rez nerfed, mains wanted an E ability to add a little to Mercys kit. And we get the Moth Meta.

These are not examples of the devs listening to player feedback.

3 Likes

Copy n pasting a reply i did the other day:

1 Like

I mean, I hate the changes on PTR.

But they did pull back some of the changes that were initially on there (i.e. translocator being louder and heard from farther, 4m detection radius, etc)

imagines in Symmetra’s voice

I said the same thing some month ago. People responded me as" you are wrong, ptr is there for only for players to find and report bugs" which kinda makes sense.

“Where’s the fun in playing fair?” In Symmetras voice.

Pretty much this. And we can’t expect anything more.

It’s not as if they even bother to keep the patch notes updated for PTR some of the time. It’s difficult knowing what to test when they don’t say what’s changed sometimes.

2 Likes

Then why are bug reports ignored as well? Plenty of bugs go live even though people have brought attention to them.

6 Likes