The pros are getting off GOATS infavor of Hackfist and Bunker now

Yes, let the new meta begin “Bunkers Comp and HackFist Comp”

If Sombra and Doomfist becomes popular amongst some pros, other pros will start moaning and whining. And Blizzard will be forced to nerf those 2 heroes because nothing makes them sadder than to see pros whine and moan.

So given that Blizzard is only listening to the 1% when it comes to balancing, having Sombra and Doomfist popular on the pro scene is a good thing for the casual scene.

That’s easy to do when your statistical analysis criticism involves people using stats to backup points that you don’t like.

1 Like

A Sombra onetrick and a Doomfist onetrick and playing their characters in semi-Pro league, probably doesn’t mean much to actual Pro games.

I want to believe Sombra is a good hero. In my elo it’s almost always better to have reliable damage than her utility. Maybe she’s good up at the tippy top but give me a good McCree any day as a teammate. Hacking Rein is cool. Shooting him to death is much cooler

Who cares what the 24 people in OWL do.

But they are still playing GOATS right now.

I have seen it less in Contenders though, which is great.)

So, how the hackfist meta works.

Sombra has a problem. It involves her hanging around the back lines to get ult charge.

She has to get it really quickly because if she doesn’t have EMP, the team loses the tean fight most of the time (she isn’t good in the main team fight so it is almost 5v6)

If she is picked off it IS 5v6, and trying to fight in their back lines at perfect Hanzo / McCree / Ashe range is hard - it is easy for her to get oneshot.

She almost never gets a pick… Just charge.

Ok… With this in mind, hackfist.

If you put doom there as well… The plan changes.

She hacks a target (or some counter to doom), and doom kills the target) She gets some ult charge in the disruption, and both bail out.

They then get a second go ( because the other team can’t push yet) and she can get ult, which they can use when the team fight happens.

It is all about delaying the team fight until Sombra has EMP, by getting single picks in the enemy back line.

While Sombra without EMP is weak in the main fight, Sombra WITH EMP is extremely dangerous.

That is the mechanics of hackfist.

It is very high risk, since any pick on Sombra or Doom will let them push and is extremely likely to lose you the team fight.

3 Likes

You get the #1 Korean Sombra and #1 Korean Doomfist on the same team.

Which is impossible for other teams to replicate.

3 Likes

Which is why the risk in that case is worth it.

Either one screws up, or the other team gets a lucky shot and it is over.

Because the sheer existence of a meta fundamentally defies everything this game was supposed to be.

Want to select from a vast and diverse roster of heroes who all have equal viability in the fight? Tough luck. You need to choose one of these 6 characters for the next 6 months.

1 Like

Currently the game is in a good state since there are lots of metas. Clockwork, Bunker, 2-3 sniper, some dive, bits of goats, etc.

Hats off to the dev team for this. It is truly a golden age.

1 Like

Clockwork is just a variation of bunker in my opinion, but I would agree that the game seems to be in a much better state right now. I’m hesitant to celebrate just yet though. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It won’t last long, that is for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

What ever the meta is will be complained about.
That should be obvious.

1 Like

What we want are multiple vviable comps, not just 1 is so much stronger than the rest it wins.

1 Like

Good luck with that.
It pretty much can’t happen, some comp/heroes will always be slightly better, which is what the pro’s will use.

I’ve said it time and time again, there will ALWAYS BE A META. There will always be those 6-8 heroes that just edge out over all the others. You nerf one or two of those and a new meta forms.

In this case, “bunker” looks like just Orisa + Hog as fragment, and everyone else can run whatever.

Hackfist is Sombra + Doom, as their own fragment.

I suspect we will see these fragments, and composition of these fragments happening until something really strong comes up.

This bunker, isn’t a complete meta.

Unless you want a game with the same character using the same weapons and that is it, you’re not going to find a game without a meta.

That’s the inevitable condition of hero based games. Devs can do what they can to balance things out, but every single adjustment or inclusion inevitably creates or shifts a meta.

Fighting games, MOBA games, even FPS games centered around just guns. If there is variety and competition, there is a meta.