The problem with a barter system

is that people may not be interested in what you are trading. In this case, Blizzard is offering either a loot box (once a day) or 25 credits to queue up for the least played role. Incenvitizing the least played role is a good step towards getting people to play it and lowering the queue times for everybody. Blizzard has the right idea, but the wrong solution.

Insert Currency
The system that actually replaced the barter system for many more reasons than just the one above. It is by all accounts simply better in every way, which is why it replaced the barter system entirely.

Instead of giving a loot box or credits, create a separate currency which can only be gained through playing the least played role. Additionally, create a shop where players can use this currency to purchase goods they may be interested in. Such goods can include but not limited to:

Loot boxes
Skins
Golden guns
Exclusive queue currency only cosmetics
Fast queue pass

The added benefit of a currency system is that it can be adjusted to exact amounts. If not enough people are queueing for tank, the amount of currency given can be increased until the right balance is found.

This feels like microtransactions with more steps.

Give me a coin-to-gold gun-exchange anyway.

Microtransactions require that you spend real money to receive some in-game game item.

This is just simply playing the game to receive some in-game item. (you actually do this already).

or we could just go back to No Limits with a robust LFG system QoL for the LFG

I actually like this idea. They’d have to do a huge cosmetic drop to make it worthwhile though I think. I don’t remember where I heard this so take it with a grain of salt but it was something along the lines of “competitive doesn’t have the most unique players, but it’s played the most by players” - which if true implies they need a solution that works for people that already have everything they want.

The idea of exclusive cosmetics for people who fill other roles is cool. I like it, but I know a lot of people probably won’t.

As long as you can’t pay real money for any of those rewards it would be a good system. But the moment it’s monetized, it’d be garbage. Especially if you could pay for those fast queue passes (I don’t think they would let anyone do that though.)

Yes the whole point of the system is to get more people to queue for the least played role. If you could bypass it with real $, then it would defeat the purpose.

I think everybody can benefit from a fast queue pass, as time saved is something that everybody benefits from even if you have everything else in game. Exclusive cosmetic items would also address that issue.