The Next Witch Hunt: hitscan

Despite the double shield meta, which should counter them, hitscan DPS heroes are the top picks in GM right now. Genji fell to fourth place after his much deserved nerf. They simply outperform other DPS heroes. I’m going to call out Ashe specifically, because any hero who is hitscan that replaced Widowmaker as queen in GM deserves conversation at least. I understand that pickrate needs to be corroborated with win rate, and that some heroes excel in winrates for their situational advantages, but largely and overall hitscan heroes are dominate during a double shield meta. Let’s discuss.

14 Likes

Is it really a witch hunt tho? I know Ashe is one of the best dps rn, same about McCree, and well Widow is Widow so people will always hate her

6 Likes

No no no. It will be a support that is getting witch hunted, as always. And that support is our Haitian medic with the Exo Boots and “no u” lamp.

31 Likes

From what I’ve seen of other Ashe players, I think most even of us agree she didn’t really need the buffs and needs some reverting.

9 Likes

Ashe is the only overtuned Hitscan currently.
Yes, Mccree got his fire rate increased but he also got his Flashbang nerfed significantly. He also has the lowest winrate in the entire game
Soldier is in the best state hes ever been, and he still remains the worst hitscan.
But honestly we cannot gauge the power of hitscans until the meta shifts away from Double Shield.
The reason why Hitscans are being played in Double Shield is because those windows of opportunity to get a pick are so incredibly small due to the Shields and strong Sustain, you cannot afford to miss a projectile.
So to have really good aim and to wait for those moments is the only thing you can do.

5 Likes

Yep.

Ashe needs a proper nerf. She was never weak, she was just overshadowed by Widowmaker. The ammo capacity buff + reload speed was just…why.

McCree needs rebalancing. Revert the fire rate because it’s obviously not helping him, work on making flashbang more consistent, and examine roll to see if he can use any additional distance/buffs to it.

Then re-examine Widowmaker and see where she’s at.

Burst hitscan is why we needed higher burst/AoE healing to compete with the damage, and then it causes the need for stacked barriers to protect against it. It’s a mess.

5 Likes

Huh? Dps getting nerfed? Doesn’t happen.

1 Like

I know this sounds biased and in fact I am quite sure it is, but I’d rather have McCree be meta than any other dps.

6 Likes

Tu veux un pansement ?

McCree doesn’t even have that high of a winrate. But his pickrate is always higher because he’s a simple and popular hero.

I play Ashe in competitive, and I don’t hate her at all. But she has too bloated of a kit imo. She does everything too well with no weaknesses , like Hanzo used to do before his nerfs.

1 Like

Not quite, his damage per bullet is a bit lower right now than one previous buff I can’t remember off the top of my head. Also he isn’t even the worst hitscan, he is literally one of the worst dps right now.

I’m admittedly terribly biased, but I think the kit was fine and balanced out by her reload before the gun buffs. Problem is now she’s just too consistent and has too much uptime.

Oh shut up already

9 Likes

I’ve been going after hitscan pretty much since I started the game, so I’m happy other people are too now.

1 Like

But hitscan needs major toning down. They literally make all projectile heroes useless.

3 Likes

Baguette.

Why tho? We all know DPS aren’t getting nerfs any time soon. Bap still have a pickrate above 2% therefore he is op and will soon find his place just like Zen, Moira, Lucio and Mercy.

Just you wait.

5 Likes

Mercy has a pickrate above 2% also so

1 Like

Ana is sufficiently meta though, so no changes needed.

After everyone is dead, she will suddenly be “op all along” just like how it was with Moira, despite receiving 0 changes before she became meta.

Same for Bap, even after his nerfs he was suddenly op all along and what not.

Every support is op, delete supports. Delete Overwatch.

We can also just out the threshold to 3% if 2% pickrate is barely not op enough.

But remember, 10% on Sigma and Brig is evil.

10+% on Ana is good. Ana is allowed to have such high usage for 8+ months.

2 Likes

I would not mind nerfs to her clip size, hipfire spread, or even her reload speed.

I wanted more consistency for Ashe and for the most part that’s what I got. I’d love to able to tap out accurate shots from the hip, rather than spam my left click and hope RNG doesn’t fail me.

That’s perhaps why I am annoyed with the changes. If you’re good at Ashe, you don’t need more ammo. The most shots you could ever need is 12, maybe 13. All these changes did was encourage bad players to try Ashe, and it’s really obvious who can’t play her.

They just try to flank and throw dynamite, all the time, and spam hipfire to win. It’s no wonder people hate her right now. A good Ashe player will pop your heads the whole game.