The new matchmaking system is unbearable

While the forced 2-2-2 is a good thing, the way the new matchmaking matches different skill levels in the same team is unbearable.
Expecting a game composed with 1 diamond, 3 golds and 2 platinums to be enjoyable is quite frankly ridiculous and idk what got into the mind of game designers.

I am a high-plat/low-diamond tank and after the new matchmaking system most of the time I end up with diamond healers and gold damage dealers.

WHY?!

Most of the time the dds have no idea about positioning, they just stagger themselves with the most disparate hero picks and having no awareness at all of the game.

That is really frustrating and I am considering stopping playing Overwatch, few of my irl friends already stopped for that reason. Unfortunately we are all tanks/healers player and none of us likes to play damage dealer, all playing since the launch of the game.

Of course you can still grind and get back on top and win those games, I am not whining about loosing. Simply playing yolo-queue is not fun anymore due to being matched with people with wide different skill level that plays considerably differently from you.

Of course that is my (and friends of mine) point of view. I’d like to ask other if you feel the same way and if the OW devs are aware of this unlucky situation.

EU-EN topic link! (wow, the EU forums are really abandoned…)

6 Likes

Could be Blizz loosening SR requirements across roles because of the glut of DPS players in queue. Or you could be queueing off hours.

If the former is true, expect to get dragged down or up into matches on Support and Tank.

Diamonds should not be able to group up with Golds.

The skill difference between those two ranks is just too large.

Make it so that players in a given tier can only group with players 1 tier above/below them.

3 Likes

I just had a game where i had 78 elims, judging by the opposing DPS’s season best for elims, at best they had the same amount of elims as myself… although combined… and it was still one of my hardest games yet… like how? The matchmaker. Theres so many people that hate 222 just because they dont realise 222 shows the matchmaker off in an even worse light that before. It’s not that 222 itself is bad.

1 Like

I agree.

“But my queue times!” is a common rallying cry and if the forums are to be believed 99.9% of Overwatch players can only play DPS exclusively because reasons.

Bigger SR gaps in a match across roles might become a thing. Worse case scenario they start matching the roles in parallel. Gold Tanks vs Diamond Damage vs Plat Supports.

Just speculation.

I had games with masters diamonds and plats.

3 Likes

I think its better than what we have now, although that thought can always be ruined if people are in incorrect ranks… but that’d never happen! Right?

But this is what people want with MMR reset. Rememeber that.

People will get into their correct ranks. It will just take around two seasons of this. An MMR reset would have been far worse though.

It’s clear that some predictions were close on role sr and some are waaay off the mark though. Overtime I believe the ranks will get more consistent as the boosted get a reality check and the E-heroes rise to their proper ranks by carrying
enough of the said boosted.

1 Like

I just created a new topic about that my friend u can check this! 3.4k dps here,i was same team with a 2500-2600 mercy who before the role que,he was gold…GOLD…On 3.3-3.4k game! GOLD.GOLD. At least before with the chaotic comps if u put the boosted persons out of the conversation,everyone was at the exact game for his rank.It was more balanced i can say,from the side of game sence

1 Like

That may be true, to an extent. It does require the system being able to work “eventually” and to a close enough mark. I dont think it will get to an acceptable range unless changes are made.

Idk, I mean don’t think this is an MMR problem. Sure if a plat damage dealer sucks hard it is an MMR problem and eventually its MMR will be correctly set, but getting matched as high-plat/low-diamond with a low gold means that the system deliberately allows such team compositions and actively builds them up. That is the real issue in my opinion. I assume OW devs decided to go this dark path to lower matchmaking times which already are very high for dds. Still, I am considering stopping playing OW.

1 Like

Atm doing low diamond games and… even there queue times are ridiculous.

222 creates vacuum, simple as that.

I tested all of this on an alternative.But if this thing continues im legit considering to quit OW too. It’s not fair.

1 Like

Well an alternative could be group finder which allows to set a maximum skill gap between you and who’s entering the room. I think I’ll give it a try again, hoping not to encounter someone with unbalanced MMR :rofl::rofl:

PLEASE JEFF HEAR OUR CRY!

No time for group finders,i just tried some games from the hotel im curently working.But a group finder might be a good idea actually! But as for the solo… Its painfull story unfortunately!

I think what is happening is that this is some machine learning AI trying to very aggressively figure out where player belong.

If I want to find a thing, say a rank, from 1 to 10 where the player belongs I guess “6”.

6 isn’t right they are doing too well so I guess 9 but that i way off, they do worse. They do better at 8 but not as well as they did in 6. So I try 7. They do as well as a typical 7. That is their rank.

But instead of numbers from say 1-10 me deal with SR from 1-5000. I wouldn’t be surprised if the system isn’t overestimating or underestimating by as much as 1000 SR, but overtime and games it will get more accurate faster as it closes in on players’ “true” ranks.

The SR now is based on purely statistical data in an environment of a lot of variance (6 DPS comps, 6 Tank Mains on the same tam, etc.). They need a data set in the new environment with less variance, and things will improve rapidly.

We just need patience. It hasn’t been a week yet.

I have patience but dude! As a diamond 3.4k prev seasons im expecting to have a diamond team right?Not a plat rein who was never out of plat,or a gold mercy who just hit low plat now,with the role que system.This thing is bringing toxicity in higher ranks can’t you see that? I had a rein who was charging an orisa 24/7 instead of wait his team,press W and walk through the shield and kill them.I also had a gold mercy who couldn’t stay alive for more than 4 seconds.And while i was literally carrying them as hanzo with 140 ms(and im not talking about medals,im talking about killing them all every fight and still somehow losing)but i still tried to communicate and when we eventually lost i just witnessed the feeder plat rein and the former gold mercy player typing: bg,their dps are just better. At least before,noone was toxic,even when we were losing,just leave and go next. But then as 3.4k player i was placed on master games with players of the same skill or even better.Now,a 3.4k player has to carry plats and golds to get a win…My point is,how do we expect a player to get better when he has such teams? If he even manage to climb up at masters or above,he will be trash lmao.Dps is literally the worst role to play right now.Especially solo. You will fall many sr because of that

2 Likes

You literally have to find other 5 people who they are diamond/masters to avoid getting placed with plat/gold teammates thats ridicoulous

1 Like

I think, situations like those described above, are simply not fun to play, regardless if you win or loose.

1 Like