The "Mercy" Situation

This idea was from the Megathread. If we were to earn rez I think a resource meter would work. Depending on how much you heal the meter goes up. When it’s full you may rez once and the meter is empty again.

When you stop healing or damage boosting the meter will slowly start to depleate. I say mabye 5-7 seconds. Nothing to bad.

There are problems with this idea for sure, but at least we are earning rez now instead of waiting for a cooldown.

6 Likes
4 Likes

It wasn’t just because of the SR exploit. It was also because it was a valid strat.

2 Likes

That’s one of the ideas I remember that influenced the meter idea

1 Like

Oh, I haven’t been on the forums for months and just have been thinking of that lately while playing Mercy.

1 Like

It was a while back back in Megathread 6 or 7, but a fun idea that might fix things

1 Like

All they would have to do is just add res to a pool and increase Valk length to compensate for multiple reses and bam, I think everyone’s happy:

Mercy now requires “skill” or at least, more of it.

Enemy team can now negate Mercy res pool by mitigating charge

A very good Mercy is now rewarded appropriately with RES.

Valkyrie Ultimate now enables clutch res plays from building pool charge very quickly due to Valk’s Multi-heal/Buff mechanics

Keeping healing rate at 50/s prevents Mercy from being too strong compared to other healers

4 Likes

This is simply wrong. Mass res was the single most ridiculously overpowered skill this game has ever, or will ever see.

The amount of organization and coordination required to wipe a team, the multiple ult use, etc all able to be undone by one player is completely idiotic.

Furthermore, no, the proper response is not “dont ignore the healer”, the consequences for doing that are that players will get healed, not that everyone’s work get completely undone by pressing E.

That…thing…was a monstrosity, and should NEVER return.

The fix to res is to give the player who gets ressed reseffects like every other game in the world with res has. Spawn at half life, with all cooldowns and ult timer reset. That is the consequence for res. The problem is that they immediately come back at full strength, and are battle ready. You make healing the empty hitpoints not count toward Ult usage, and for the love of God, give the player being ressed a confirmation box so they can say no. That makes res something useful at specific times without making a res more effective than healing, which in many cases, it is.

Whilst I agree that mass resurrect wasn’t balanced I don’t think it was overpowered and her effectiveness as you go up the ranks reflects that. Unlike most other heroes, Mercy was the most effective in the lower ranks and the least effective in higher ranks. What kind of overpowered hero doesn’t get picked a lot in high ranks but gets commonly used in lower ranks? Simply doesn’t make sense.

Why are you using multiple ultimates at once when you know that the enemy Mercy has ult?

Not the proper response but still can be taken into consideration when dealing with mass resurrect.

Some heroes will get annihilated when their health is at half and their abilities are all on CD. Also, Overwatch doesn’t need to be like every other game. There’s nothing wrong with being unique.

That would be the least used feature in the game. Unless the resurrect was accidental and was used just after your team lost the fight, no sane person would say no to getting resurrected.

3 Likes

Cleanse isn’t a good idea. Let me count the ways.

1. It doesn’t DO anything, it UN-Does something. It removes PART of the effect that someone else caused. It won’t fix the whole thing, only ‘bandaid’ part of it.

2. Its reactionary. As above, its a response, not a power.

3. It doesn’t help Mercy at all. It affects other players, not Mercy. The idea that cleanse would self-target, or hit Mercy as well as her target is wishful thinking at best.
    This kind of power makes Mercy more team dependent to get value from its existence.

4. “Cleanse” Already exists: Zarya’s bubble shakes/soaks CC effects. You’re sugguesting something that another character already has. With Sym stealing her beam, and cleanse stealing her bubble, we might as well retire Zarya.

5. Personal bias. I don’t want to cleanse you. I don’t want to wipe your nose and clean your booboos. I don’t even want to heal you, and just want to shoot back at the enemy, but I picked a support, and if no one wants to heal you, it becomes my responsibility to avert a team wipe. I don’t want to take responsibility (and BLAME in its absence) for your status effects as well.

6. The temporal nature of status effects.
    Sheildbash and flashbang; Do you SERIOUSLY expect a player to have perception AND reaction to anticipate, witness, respond to and avert a momentary stun?
    Are you insane?

Stop sugguesting cleanse. Its a really bad idea. Its the worst sugguestion I have ever heard for Mercy, its plain stupid, it doesn’t add anything, its reactive, and I am driven to irrational levels of antipathy for the proposal to further gut and devalue a character that is already suffering.

ITS
A BAD
IDEA.

STOP.

6 Likes

Good reasons! :+1: but beware, the community is going to strike back even harsher…

Irrelevant, she shouldnt have the ult, and thankfully, she doesnt and never will. No one healer should have that train wreck. The consequence for ignoring a healer ult should be that you face a short period of enhanced survival, not a time machine.

The idea that ignoring Lucio’s ult should result in 3 seconds of decreased effectiveness, Zen would cause you to endure a short sustained attack, Moira tickles her opponents and heals whoever is in a straight line, Ana heals and does a little better than Mercy’s right click, and Brig adds some armor, but doing so with Mercy should be a reward for her total failure by undoing everything your team just accomplished is the epitome of “so far out of balance that you cant get a radar fix on it”

That’s right, risk…the reward being that they can contribute numerically if careful, but are at risk, that is the whole point.

Some DPS have ultimate’s that can wipe entire teams. Why can’t Mercy, a support, have an ultimate to revert that?

That would make the ability way to situational and would unnecessarily punish players in the Mercy’s team for playing certain heroes. We don’t need more one tricks getting punished for no reason whatsoever…

9 Likes

It would take an ability which is currently way too powerful and universal, which is the entire point of this thread (res is the cause of over reliance on Mercy), and give it some risk and thought and the appropriate level of consequences to make her fit in with the other healers.

I am getting pretty amused by the Mercy brigade, proclaiming that res is the problem , then continually offering suggestions to enable them to keep it in it’s current form or even go back to the time machine days.

^ I would love a response too. <3 We’ve waited patiently for months, been ignored, had a skit made in poor-taste (Sound familiar?) about us, endured toxicity, had our constructive threads locked, I could go on.

I would love an answer instead of being blatantly silenced or framed to be “defaming” by speaking out. If you can’t rebuttal, at least say it. If you just want to keep Mercy broken and boring because you’re lazy, say it.

Communication is a beautiful thing, and that way we wouldn’t need videos like this. With communication, we can move on as a community and not have this toxic company/consumer relationship.

11 Likes

Because that isnt healing, that is rewarding NOT healing. No other healer in the game has anything even remotely close to ressing an entire team, and frankly DPS ults dont generally wipe whole teams by themselves, and have considerable counterplay.

2 Likes

I don’t want to keep the current iteration of Resurrect. I want a rework.

5 Likes

Which is why most other healers are garbage in comparison to Mercy.

5 man Resses are extremely rare.

Give mass resurrect a cast time?

7 Likes