The "Mercy" Situation

Then why did nobody want Mercy before Mass rez had invulnerability?
If it was so strong, why was she a troll pick?
Why did I have to deal with people telling me to not pick Mercy all the time and having to tell them to please just let me show them that I can be good enough as Mercy?

Going back to the troll pick original Mercy, with Mass Rez, no invuln, the old levels of self healing and 60hp/s (which was the buffed rate because she surely needed it) and keeping the space boosting from GA will give her the ability to perhaps survive the rez and give her enough mobility to survive without the need for as much self healing. The mobility will be her survivability without all the extra stuff, which would mean the best people at GA sling boosting would excel on old Mercy and people who were just average will show as they will die more often without all the sympathy add ons.

And if Mass Rez truly is so powerful and not pro-active enough, then give her either a mass invulnerability (maybe giving her an AOE heal burst on an E) or single target invulnerability that keeps valk and utilises the original rez system on that, so cooldown invuln with more during ultimate. The pro-active life saving you are asking for. The invulnerability would not heal the target, but would give Mercy or her fellow support to heal the target and give them a reprieve from damage. It would still be in the vein of Mercy to provide this sort of support.

1 Like

yeah i agree with your idea about invul. It sounds right, anything but mass rez.

Almost as bad an idea as the people who want a mini valk on E
Mercy 1.0 had the problem of lacking mid fight potential compared to her competition, she needs an active E of some kind not mobility and not QoL button

Then why did Mercy spend so long as a troll pick when she had mass resurrect?
Why did she only come viable when they made her invulnerable for the resurrect?
OH THATS RIGHT, BECAUSE IT WAS HUGELY RISKY TO MASS RESURRECT AND ONLY FANTASTIC MERCY’S WOULD SURVIVE THAT ULT AND THEREFORE MANY PEOPLE DIDN’T WANT MERCY BECAUSE YOU WOULD USUALLY LOSE OUR MAIN SUPPORT. I spent ages having to reason with a team to show them that my Mercy would not disappoint them and that my Ana would.

There are so many additions that they gave that turned Mercy into OP monster. Original Mercy, before invuln and the higher rate of self-healing passive were in-line and they could have turned her out of a troll pick just by giving her the 60hp/s beam and the GA space boost and that would have been what she needed to fix the original Mercy and not make her what she is now. If she could fly in, rez without invulnerability, a good Mercy would be able to use the sling boost to gain some evasion and survive of her own accord but her self heals would be lower and could still result in her death.

Otherwise, if pro-active is so important then just give Mass Invuln or an E invuln with extra charges on Valk and move on.

1 Like

Honestly if all the healers could rez in the game, there would be more freedom on what healer to use but because Mercy is the only one that can rez, she’s basically too valuable to not have on the team no matter how much you nerf her.

Not being able to evenly heal Winston dmg now is really frustrating with dive. zen, ana are basically effed with their lack of movement abilities. Can’t peel for them as mercy anymore.

I play a lot of supports and even I don’t like the rez mechanic because it’s only on one character and it makes Mercy mandatory for a win condition if the opposite team is running a Mercy.

Her pickrate isn’t going to go down because of rez. Nerfing healing hps on a pure healer character was not the solution.

In a game based on 6v6, having 2 or more heroes who can rez would be overwhelming. In large scale pve games where medics can heal and “rez” (don’t always die, just go down) their team, its fine because the battle is larger in scale and the field is also larger. And those games require a longer rez time.

Having more than one mercy in no limites and mystery heroes demonstrates this problem:

Think you killed one healer? Rezed. Ok I’ll kill the other. Rezed.

Lets kill the tank. Rezed. Ok kill him again. Rezed.

They couldn’t do it, because it will remain only ultimate able to withstand ANY amounts of damage thrown at your team. All currently existing defensive ults can be overwhelmed with sufficient damage.

They continue pushing game into territory, where tanking damage isn’t option: your team won’t survive.

No it wasn’t, at all. Tactical visor has benefits and drawbacks as does deathblossom. TacVis auto aims, cannot crit, often has a reload mid use, can be blocked, eaten, and healed around. Deathblossom is a joke. Hook, bash, rocket punch, shield, etc.

Every ult has counterplay, but Mercy Mairons cant get it through their thick skulls that bringing an entire team back at full health with no counter, no stopping, no consequences is so ridiculously OP that it deserves a spot in the “worst ideas in gaming history” hall of fame.

Thank god it will NEVER return

It had nothing whatsoever to do with the risk of mass res and you know it. Ana was way too strong during the 3 tank meta, and was able to easily keep those tanks alive, no stupid res tricks required.

Your deductive reasoning is wanting.

If I could heal 3 tanks just fine and then also bring them back countering the wipe, all without an Ana on the team and coming out with a victory and yet people still flamed me just because I didn’t use Ana, even though I was healing them and both getting mass rez and tempo rezzing and SURVIVING THE REZ WITHOUT INVULN which many considered a suicide mission and I did it without hiding (which was the majority of ways it was done because to rez as many people as possible was not easily done behind a wall because rez did not have some magical infinite range), the how was she not “OP” then. Even with Ana’s over-powered nature back then, if Mass Rez was always so overpowered then why was it not a “suitable alternative” to Ana at the time when Mercy’s capable of healing the tanks just fine with Rez as a huge bonus, why was it not enough for people? Is it because something must always be over-powered to people who don’t like to change up their style or just like to throw caution to the wind when using their ults? To claim that the original Mercy was somehow OP even though many Mercy’s would go for the mass rez and die or they would not survive the lower regen rates to heal the team put her exactly where she needed to be and she took time to learn as any other character. New Mercy does not and she is given so many things to keep her alive that a good Mercy never needed.

You could even balance mass rez itself by having it be a pre-cast. She casts it before she suspects the team will fully wipe at once, that would commend good awareness by being aware of your teams ults and enemies ults. Maybe while the protection is active, your team glows which means “go find mercy and kill her before the ult saves her team from wipe” or something. Although, this greater promotes hide and seek mercy.

Truth is, Mass Rez without the invuln was more balanced then where we are at now. We are better off reverting and starting from when she wasn’t considered OP and see what needs to be changed from the top. If the resurrect is truly so powerful even though it is just a respawn timer skipper, then why can’t we look at all the suggestions from just a Invulnerability giver?

“No consequences”… Did you even play back when mass rez was a thing? There were plenty of consequences to using mass rez if you played against a team that was competent enough to actually bother to counter it. Even if Mercy managed to bring back her entire team, all five of those teammates would be locked in the resurrect animation, standing completely still, for 3 seconds (which they later reduced to 2.25).

If you played then, you’d know that this could be easily deleted by the following:

High Noon (could lock on before they even came out of the rez animation)
Tac Visor
Dva Bomb
Riptire
Death Blossom
–Even if the enemy Mercy had rezzed a Rein or Dva, with the right timing, they wouldn’t have the ability to defend themselves against incoming ults due to the delay upon rezzing.

So, do I need I go on? Rezzing into a team wipe was one of the most disheartening things to experience as Mercy, but it was deserved because you clearly got outplayed. If you don’t consider that a “consequence” of mass rez being misused, I don’t know what your definition of consequence is.

If you never once had a situation where your team - or you, specifically - deleted a mass rez, then I have to wonder what rank you were playing at. Because I had that happen even when I used to be in silver, where Mercy actually was considered OP at the time.

Let’s not pretend that Mercy 1.0 was ever objectively overpowered. Most of her strength came from 1) her own team enabling her to do well, and vice versa and 2) the enemy team not bothering to counter her. That’s why she rarely ever saw play in high ranks, because she could be shut down so easily. And that’s even with her invulnerability buff.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly Mercy was even considered a troll pick back in season 2 and 3. The only thing that shot her up in pick rate was her invisibility she got after rezing, and Ana got the nerf hammer hard. At least most of Ana’s nerfs are pretty much gone now.

I also love inspecting roof textures while having a weight on my M1! :slight_smile:

wow dude these r some dps main who didnt want to do their jobs and kill the spport first
i can say now that this game is only maded for dps main

guys i will finally say that mercy had this ‘‘op’’ ult bc she has not dmg she cant even heal and dmg the same time so stop complainig about other healers and mostly zen because his ult is almost rez and he has insane dmg ana too lets not talk about brig and moira

Only idiot players thought hiding was a “valid strat”. It was a stupid strategy, borderline throwing. A Mercy player who purposely hides the second they get Rez is throwing, since they’re making it MUCH easier for the enemy to counter her ult.

4 Likes

If Mercy is hiding, she is not healing. If other team has no main healer, why you use all your ults?

3 Likes

Exactly, when you take into account that she got an invulnerability buff and Ana got nerfed into smithereens and we didn’t have Moira yet, that was the only time when Mercy and Rez was suddenly a must have.

If you were to revert back to pre invuln Mercy mass rez and give her the sling boost and 60hp/s, and adjusted Ana to bring her healing up to be more consistent with both Mercy and Moira then maybe we wouldn’t have as much issue, perhaps making her not lose ammo when she shoots a team mate but loses ammo for shooting an enemy or misses so it rewards her for healing over damage and so she won’t lose out on crucial healing in a fight unless she hits too many enemies. This would make her stronger at healing but we won’t have to relive death ball with nade adjustments (unless for her own survival). Maybe even a mousewheel switch for firing modes to allow both shooting through healed teammates and pre-heals.

Maybe this would be a better way to bring supports in line.

Other supports are picked less not because they are weaker. Actual reason, which Blizzard is blind to, is expectations: if you have Mercy, she spends most of the time healing, so in case of emergency she can patch you up with little to none delays.

Now Ana. Most Ana players contribute in damage as well as healing. Even if they have 100% situation awareness, they will run into delays: having to reload, aiming for teammate to heal, or even getting into position. Without scope, travel time of healing dart can be a problem too.

Moira has similar issues: you have to attack to recharge your healing juice supply, so you won’t be healing as soon as someone screams “I need healing!”.
Delays are not significant, around 2 seconds with experienced players, but even with Winston it means, that teammate in question already received up to 120 dmg.

Even before the Moira changes, it wasn’t that hard to be consistent as Moira. I rarely ran out of healing juice before, but now it happens even less.

When I first played Moira, like I did Mercy it was a whole different experience because I didn’t think of how to best manage my healing, but once I had that down, I was easily getting Mercy numbers and greater and that was while she had 60hp/s.

I think Moira is equal, if not greater as a main support in terms of healing and helping a team. That does not mean i don’t want to play Mercy however, I have spent a lot of time on Mercy and in the past she has brought me so much joy to play, but Mercy 2.0 has been down hill and the nerf to her base kit has gone too far now. Even though all my skills are still there, it feels like she does next to nothing in healing now, for a single target main healer who sacrifices damage dealing of her own, it seems silly that they should take away from her base kit in order to keep an ability that shouldn’t be there in the first place because they have to place ultimate restrictions on a basic ability.

I signed up to be a support and if I pick Mercy, I damn well want to feel like a main support damn it. But to actually feel like I am doing that without being a detriment to my team, I may as well pick Moira. :ok_hand: