The "Mercy" Situation

We all know that after 11 nerfs that Mercy isnt going anywhere sadly. Those who use to play her dont anymore, and those who dont enjoy playing her are told to do so.

Why is this? Is it because Mercy as a character can never be balanced, or is it that a ability that should be a ult is a normal move?

When the rework happened everyone bragged how the witch is dead, and all cheered across the forums and other platforms of communication. Fast forward months later, 10 Megathreads, and a unhappy community. We are now at nerf 10, and we all know more is to come. Next is either damage boost or Guardian Angle, but after that what’s left to nerf that hasn’t been?

There will never be enough nerfs with this state Mercy to help the other healers. This rework is a failure, and will continue to be as long as rez is a “E” ability.

This video is a little something I felt like linking. Ignore or watch is up to you, but you cannot deny Mercy is in a bad place and will not get fixed until things are solved.

Now I dont want a full revert. Mabye changes to things here and there, or even a brand new rework. I dont want this Nerfcy to be around until nerf 20. I want a balanced Mercy for 1 rework.

71 Likes

Its insane to think it has gone on this long. Original mercy with mass res was balanced despite the claims of hide and seek mercy by the community as a select few used it to exploit sr gains in early competitive days amd dps not liking having their work undone ( when they should have killed the healers first anyway) being the main reason for the rework which has failed entirely. Simply add a small cast time and Los requirement with no invincibility during resurrection and original mercy would be perfect. We need to revert mercy we cant just keep nerfing and nerfing

61 Likes

What makes me mad is what you were talking about around 2 minutes.

One of their main points was that it feels bad to say “Wow we combo’d every ult in the game” And Mercy to just nope that.

But that was literally one of the points of resurrect. To punish spamming all your ults in order to take a point. Realistically you could only use 2-3 to take a point (Grav and Barrage work really well together), so if your team plays WELL, they won’t use the remaining ultimates until they’re sure the point is secured.

Not to mention, if a team uses 6 ultimates (or even 4-6) to take a single point, and all while Mercy was either not present or didn’t die, they don’t DESERVE that point. How did no one notice that Mercy wasn’t killed and saved their ults accordingly?

And even so, what ultimate feels good to play against? I never feel good when Blizzard freezes my team, or when Soldier aimbots us all. Honestly most ultimates are really easy to get value out of, and thus I feel no sense of “wow they were really good. I deserved that death.” from ultimates.

60 Likes

I CALLED IT. I knew everyone would seriously regret changing Mercy and here we are now. I’m not really apart of the whole “revert” thing (even though her old ult was 1000x more fun to use) but she needs another serious rework like Symmetra. The only way i can see fixing her at this point would be to bring back mass rez with many nerfs or drop that ability completely and give her an ult that doesnt scream “shoot me!”

19 Likes

I know the devs think they’re in touch with the community and what needs done for this game, but I really feel like they’re not. And it doesn’t have to just do with Mercy. Bastion is a great example (as stated in this vid). Why has it been SO LONG with him remaining as is? Why did they ignore the feedback that he was going to be OP and then push him live, only to nerf him immediately? Why do they blatantly ignore PTR feedback? And let us not forget how long it took for them to introduce another healer after Ana.

And sure, let’s lessen the impact of rez by putting it on a 30 second CD, unearned, and a REGULAR ability (meant to be used often), being Mercy’s utility outside of her ult.

21 Likes

I think they should at least give original mercy a chance in this meta and see what happens. Mass res was supposed to punish players for not considering the healers during a fight as someone already said so it was balanced and just because mercy managed a 4-5 man rez does not mean her team would win that point. They could be killed again due to any number of reasons. By adding Los and a small timer to rez she would be balanced and have plenty of counterplay

12 Likes

Hahahhahahahahahhahahaha.

2 Likes

Explain how it wasn’t so. I literally explained why it was balanced and what could be done to balance it further so please do give your reasons for that reply

7 Likes

Would you prefer something like this, instead of current Rez?

Single Rez, Only available in Valk on Q, less cast time than 1.75sec

There are more things than just valk and rez that the devs can do. Ability ideas like Pacify or cleanse might work. They were ideas in a Megathread, but I sadly cannot find them. Also, 1 rez for every valk just doenst seem like much. That would need to be worked on also.

2 Likes

Current average rez per game is 6, and world class Mercy’s aren’t getting much more than 8.

3 Likes

No not really. :man_shrugging:

I guess that’s true. What do you think the “E” should be if we move rez to valk?

Not sure yet. But the most basic option would be “Guardian Angel - Prefer Beam Target”. That way you can mix and match GA types easily.

There is no situation. When they announced Valkyrie, he said if things don’t work we will revert it. After almost a year of putting earplugs in and going “NO NO NO we weren’t wrong” Throwing every constructive idea into a trash bin.

The team knows the problem is her E. They don’t like being proved wrong.

21 Likes

Dear Devs,

If your seeing this thread can you release a response to the video now that it’s in line with the forums ToS.

6 Likes

Simply give her one instant rez during Valk and a different cooldown. It’s simple and effective. She won’t have her rez all the time and if someone dies, she has to make a choice.

1 Like

That’s perfectly fine, for every single one of you who don’t play her no matter what there’s at least 5 people like me who plays her when she fits on a team comp or map, plus we also have quite a bit of fun with valk!

Well that’s fine, but in the end it doesnt change the fact that Mercy is a broken OP mess, and needs a new rework.

4 Likes

She’s not really all that broken, the change in healing will reel her in just enough for her to sit at a comfortable spot but still she’ll need to fight against those other supports who are able to dish out more healing when played right