The Leaver Issue

It is a community created issue. Why would you play a game if you just leave when things are going bad in one match?

I just had a quick play match on Route 66 where the last three minutes was spent with my team constantly having two less players than the enemy, because people would leave, then new people join, then they leave, the cycle continues. The game was so winnable but by the last minute and a half, the team had no Ultimate charge aside from me because we were constantly swapping around new tank and supports, and an occasional new damage player.

Why do I get matched with leavers when I don’t leave matches, this is genuinely unfair and making this already frustrating game beyond any possible enjoyment. One match this evening and I’m already offline. What a waste of my time :confused:

Rant over.

edit: okay nope this time it’s battlenet being terrible. Okay community this one time it’s not your fault

1 Like

I love backfill. I’d prefer the poor sports leave, honestly. The match is better without them anyway. It sucks to wait for a full team, that I do agree with. I’d rather wait than be stuck with poor sports that leave or troll at the first hint of bs though.

IshT matchmaker and backfilling have permanently scuffed my ego. So ive lost hope.
And leave at the slightest hint of BS.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/alert-server-issues-due-to-ddos-attack/

you were the unlucky one that had to stay i guess :wink:

the ones that d/c’d were spared

Harsher punishments to deter it.

Once you leave a game even if it’s one. 15min ban until you can requeue.

In the event it is rage quit this is a good start.
In the event it’s a personal issue/dc 15 minutes is low enough to deal with what just happened without it feeling like a punishment.

Twice in specific time period and it becomes an hour ban.

In the event it’s a rage quit it will now force the player to take a break from OW.

In the event it’s another real life issue or DC you probably shouldn’t be on anyways because you are having internet issues or family issues.

Infractions after it just keeps being an hour until you’ve gone 4 hours without leaving a match

Punish the baby rage

its nothing but pure insecurity…

and i love when people give me the whole “its not fun to lose” thing because they leave even when they were close to winning 5 seconds prior having had plenty of fun up to that point…

its nothing but fear of the L…as though it actually meant something

and its as bad as it because blizz honestly doesnt do much about it…theres little to no penalty for leaving (nobody actually cares about exp loss really)

I swear there is a genuine phobia of the defeat screen

I leave long before there is any way to know if it is a W or an L. I leave if the other team has widow (always), if the other team has symm on some maps, mei on some maps, junk on some maps. Some heroes break some maps. I leave against Pharmercy on any map - that game is just not going to be any fun.

I don’'t care about winning or losing much. I will leave if we are being completely rolled because it is no fun to be stuck in spawn. I will also leave if my team goes to the enemy spawn and won’t let them out (I know how bad that feels on the other team and don’t want to do that to them). Nothing to do with W or L. Just not fun.

Leaving a lot more recently than ever before because the game is just not a lot of fun outside of skirmish, where I spend most of my time. It puts me into a game every 5-10 minutes and some I insta-leave and some I think, why not give it a go and see, and usually leave within the first 30 seconds because there is a widow or I am tank and they have sombra or I want to play hog and they have Ana+hanzo.

Not everyone leaves because they are losing.

hmmm, while I understand that leavers are a pure annoyance but worrying about it in a quickplay match is just going to stress you out.

It is a game specific issue. Paladins for example doesn’t have it.

I’ve said before, all they need to do is make it so that only the people who are leaving games have to backfill. You leave a game, you have to backfill 2 or whatever - not necessarily in the next game, but when needed by the matchmaker. This way leavers are punished with the consequences of their own behaviour. People who never leave, never have to backfill.

It already does this.

I get as many if not more back fills as I do normal games and I never leave games.

No, they should simply have a stiffer penalty for leaving QP games. Period.

Those leaving for petty reasons (not liking map, not liking enemy team/your team) as well as those because they don’t like losing are all part of the problem.

I feel they should be only able to join the game they left till it ends. If they don’t they will have to wait till that match has ended before they can join another. Repeated offenses should increase the wait time. And they should be forced to join maps with backfills needed first as a penalty for a game or two.

I never leave my games without a real reason to do so. Those reasons being:

• My emergency pager going off for fire or ambulance call.

• Important personal life issue that presents itself during the game.

• Loss of internet/power etc. Though its difficult for me to lose those, as I have power backups in place to prevent an outage in case I’m playing Comp.

If it isn’t those things I listed, I will not be leaving the game till its completed. Good or bad, frustrating or not, I stick it out. I’m not the kind of player to take the easy road just because I can.

Game on.

1 Like

There are harsh punishments for the mode that it matters for, and QP aint it.

Yeah, backfilling sucks, but so does paris, and back-to-back koth.

No thank you.

It is never the communities fault. They didn’t make the game.