The Ladder Experience

Win a match
Thrower in your next match
Leaver in the next match
Lose next match, but that’s okay
Thrower in next match because tanks wouldn’t pick what the thrower wanted
Repeat

It’s next to impossible to climb and until OW fixes it, your rank doesn’t matter.

9 Likes

It’s not impossible to climb, but it can be pretty frustrating for sure.

I’ve had 4 leaver’s in my past 10 games. Unless you are a smurf (Which is also causing problems in comp), you will not win 100% of the other 6 games either. It’s getting more and more difficult by each passing day to climb because Blizzard won’t fix one of their only IP’s left that actually has a chance of staying around.

6 Likes

Patterns like these are effected by Match Making Rating, which is used for algorithmic handicapping in every match. More information:

5 Likes

The only reason I can see why they don’t do anything, is that they want to keep their monthly user numbers up. Surely it wouldn’t be difficult to automated systems to ban consistent leavers and throwers.

2 Likes

My theory is that all of the blatantly-ridiculous stuff that holds players back is a form of grind, the same kind of grind you’d see in other games where you’re artificially made to throw too much time and effort at reaching some in-game goal or to get some piece of loot. Leavers, throwers, alt accounts, smurfs, etc, are just all forms of grind – and if it keeps people running on the hamster wheel longer, so be it.

6 Likes

For me it’s getting matched against two or three level 25-40 accounts pretty much every game. This season I haven’t been playing a lot of Competitive, but it’s just more cancerous than ever. For now - even though I’m taking breaks pretty often to not mald into eternity - I’m at 25% match win rate. I’m honestly done being spawn camped or being full held in half of my games. I’ve been playing since season 7, started in Silver, went up to super low Masters (I think that might’ve been an accident), I’m currently struggling to go back to Diamond. Within all these seasons it’s never happened before for the struggle to be so real.

Losing games is okay. But losing games to level 25-40 accounts while being unable to do anything is not okay.

4 Likes

Your theory is probably not too far off from the truth. This has always been the case. Their system is very good at putting players where they belong and then making them hover within that SR range… a cool test would be to put a GM player on a old seasoned account with thousand hours and see how long that takes to get to GM

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve started to just give up on Comp. With the amount of people that have left this game, the rankings aren’t right anymore. Not to mention every single high elo account has at least one alt account now. Both of those combined with the lack of response from Blizzard to fix these issues make it next to impossible to climb ladder’s. It’s better to just create an alt account yourself.

I’m not sure about that because skill levels have changed so drastically over the past few years and OW is still using the same algorithm they used when the game came out. I have an alt account in Diamond that I hover between diamond and plat (Nothing to brag about), but then there’s my main account (This) with all of my skins that I can barely get past low gold due to the amount of leavers, smurfs, and throwers.

1 Like