The harder i try to win, the more i lose

match maker has more control over the outcome of games than i do

9 Likes

Yeah because if you give it you’re all then the game thinks that that’s your normal and so it balances your team to your new normal which is you giving it your all and now In order to meet the expectations of your normal performance you have to give it your all, all the time which isn’t possible eventually we get tired. So eventually you go back to normal play and the game considers that as below your average and you lose.

6 Likes

Matchmaker has zero control over result of games. Players have control.

If you have troubles with climbing on your own, i suggest to find a coach.

1 Like

Just… let… it… go…

1 Like

Wow, yes, it seems more than prudent to soft-throw your games in order to stimulate your teammates towards better gameplay, amazing

4 Likes

Just don’t take it so seriously. I’ve done better when I was more relaxed. Your gonna lose games you shouldnt. Its going to happen. Just keep pushing

2 Likes

If you’re starting to play too seriously you tend to get stuck on the trivial things.

That’s the point of competitive, not only in a video game but everywhere else. You do good, you get put with better people to see how you do with them. If you fail you go down. Means you are still not ready, does not mean you are soooo soo bad.

I got talked into, by my teamleader at work, to apply for a promotion at my work. So I did and had to do various test. I failed and did not get the promotion. Does it mean that I am bad at what I do? Should I have been fired? No, I just was not ready.

Got the promotion the next month tho.

3 Likes

Happens to me a lot. When I’m in tilt mode, basically trolling, is when I win games, ironically.

3 Likes

this about sums it up not gunna lie

Absolutely. Welcome to datamining, performance analytics, Basic ML classification, etc. Tech from about 2005 finally making it’s way into games.

Matchmaker crunches the numbers and gives a prognosis. It shoehorns matches to within 40/60 - 60/40 odds ratio. You have to deliberately spoof your output for several matches to have it recalibrate your expected contributions. Only then, through statistical “surprisal” - have you got meaningful control. But next-gen player-intent-mining is getting good at predicting when people will sandbag or tryhard.

1 Like

Pfft I wish that was the case. I queue with a friend that I’ve helped get to plat and now he’s close to diamond and 250 SR from t500 OQ. We regularly get games with 2-3 plats and occasional Diamond and we regularly go on 5+ winning streaks and rarely lose. (Unfortunately he’s only able to go online 1-2 hours a day usually).

However I can solo queue silver games and stagnate for days making little to no progress
winning and losing or even start deranking.

This isn’t even a phenomena unique to any particular friend, it seems to be the case across the board. The games matchmaking is suspicious

1 Like

If your friend could play more than 1-2 games online usually then I am fairly certain that you would get out of Silver.

1 Like

Well yesterday we were able to play five and they were all wins. I don’t always get to play with friends that play Overwatch because of my schedule working graveyard shifts, but I just recently discovered the matchmaking phenomenon of playing with friends and I have been ranking up, just that I never took open queue seriously until I started playing with my plat friend so my SR was close to bronze to begin with and now it’s approaching gold.

1 Like

You are feeling the effects of Match Making Rating, which is a covert handicapping system. More info here:

2 Likes

Wow, really wow. Being near Bronze then playing with Plat friends and now you are approaching Gold. An indeed a very rare phenomenon.

I understand what you mean. I was like Gold and had like DIamond and Master friends. Every time I played alone, I would like win one then lose 2 and so on and was on the brink of Silver, but once I started playing with my Diamond and Master friends I got out of Silver in like 3 games, also got to Gold and now I am really close to Diamond. It is just that when they are rly busy and cannot play I always kinda lose games when I play on my own. I do not know why. Maybe matchmaking.

Well to be fair I was already fluctuating between silver and gold on role queue, So I wasn’t entirely close to bronze in a sense. When it started playing with him he was high gold, close to plat.

Matchmaking is supposed to give you random people who are able to play players around your rank my friend was another player who technically could play someone in my rank and the only thing reason he’s not a random person is cuz I know him. It’s not only with my plat friends though I have a friends who are gold and I equally get winning streaks with them. I have considered that maybe I was being carried but the fact that it happens with different people and simply by my own performance in game That doesn’t seem to be the case. That and I usually play just with one other person maaaybe two.

Honestly I do have a suspicion of what’s may be happening, but it sounds a bit ridiculous and cocky. Since I don’t have this like major team synergy going on with any of the people I queue with, The only difference I can see is that I have one person on my team who The matchmaker cannot decide and is guaranteed to be a good player. And if literally having one confirmed good player is all it the difference, then the only conclusion I could draw is that the matchmaker often stacks games against me or I have some really bad luck.

Exacly that. As soon as i start to get lvl 25 accounts in my games… I start to try a lot less.

Lower stats = better teammates in next games. Simple as that.

Just go watch some anime- you’ll believe in yourself then.

Necro’d yet still relevant.

I’m saying, when will the amount of posts become a statistical anomaly?