The game could use more indicators for team mates to see for less toxicity

People who want to win will communicate at Masters and above. This is not a problem but anyone below people will actively leave group chat channel because they refuse to listen to any coordination or planning.

But below there should be more indicators. For instance. Moira’s healing mist should be a bar above her health bar. People will know if she has juice or not and will not rage if they are not getting “healed”. Reinhardt’s barrier should actually show the barrier health rather than hear Rein say “Barrier is low” so the team can know to move back a bit so he can let it charge.

Zens healing orb on his UI shows the health of the teammate and enemy discorded. The person being healed should have the health orb + heal bar of Zen’s health. To one, know there’s an ORB on you even when full since for some reason it does not show if your health is full (Why?) and two, know Zen is in danger when being attacked. Kind of like how Mercy’s health is shown when healing team mates. If i see mercy’s health going low i know to look to see if she’s being focused.

I’d also like to see Zarya’s bubble indicated with some kind of pink dot that indicated she has bubble. It helps to know to advance or not.

Mercy should have a halo above her head to show rez is ready.

There’s probably a ton of other ideas, to help team mates visually because communication on voicechat should not be the only way people perform well as some people are just anti-social for some reason have music blairing in the background. At least people will know some things without having someone on the mic tell them it’s ready or not, just by looking.

17 Likes

I really like this idea thread.

Kudos.

5 Likes

Yeah, I feel like the UI in game could be a lot more efficient for us scrubs who aren’t pros.

I mean, in OWL you can see your teammates health at the top of your screen the entire game, right?

I know that it takes communication to coordinate and win, but there are numerous people out there who can’t speak due to whatever, so it would be nice if the game helped out with this issue.

That way, like you said, we know why we aren’t getting healed. As a support main, often I have people begging me for heals and I can’t heal them for x,y,z. Sometimes communicating over voice works, but others it doesn’t because people are tunneling and playing in the moment.

I also don’t want the UI to be too distracting, so I can understand why it’s hard to implement. We got the change to seeing our teammate’s ult charge, but it would be nice to see other stuff too.

4 Likes

Don’t think UI clutter will be a problem if done right.

But the biggest games right now don’t even care about “UI clutter”
Blizzard needs to stop thinking gamers are too dumb and need their hands held and casualize everything.

It’s why their MOBA failed and Diablo 3 was shat on day 1. Does LOL, DOTA or SMITE try to remove all depth? No it’s why people enjoy the games?

Fortnite the biggest game on the planet right now has tons of UI “clutter” atleast compared to Overwatch.

2 Likes

Also an indicator to a teammate leaving spawn to stop for one second and pick up mercy…JUST TURN AROUND!!!

1 Like

When someone is hacked there should be a sugar skull above their heads, similar to Zen’s discord

4 Likes

No tools in the world will stop players from being toxic. It’s a them problem.

Less toxic. Not get rid of toxicity.

Some good, practical suggestions for the devs on the forums?!

I love your ideas and hope they won’t fall on deaf ears :grinning: :+1:

Also, add Junkrat’s trap location (and all deployables), and indicator above Reaper when he uses Shadow Step.
Maybe have the healthbars flash or shake when an ally is CC’ed.
Just let us customize our UI colors to avoid UI clutter

This too :

2 Likes

This game has always had the issue of not giving enough information about what’s happening, you can argue it’s a skill gap but I don’t know. It’s always very difficult to even understand what’s happening in some games because it’s so fast paced.

I like your ideas, I only hope Blizzard can work on the in game info, support characters getting voice lines for when they’re being attacked was a good start, but something more would be nice.

3 Likes

The thing at the top of the screen with health and ult charge in OWL isn’t shown for the players, that’s visible in spectator mode to my knowledge.

i know right? seems like they are mostly still in vacation tho.

I wish there was a way (similar to Heroes of the Storm) for us to signal to our teammates that other teammates need help. Not all players have or use voice comms to avoid toxicity, and it would be nice to signal to help people like how you can tell people to defend or attack the objective.

I just want to see if my teammates are taking damage, through walls, like the supports do

1 Like

Unfortunately there are people who still don’t want to win and won’t communicate in masters and above, but there are some nice ideas in this thread

I was about to say this. I’m convinced that one reason why Sombra is considered useless in lower ranks is because it’s too difficult for teammates to actually notice when enemy is hacked. Current indicator just doesn’t cut it, because it’s not very easy to see in the middle of teamfight.

Sombra just seems useless if they are not on COMMS at all. Telling people you hack so and so and want to ult is vital. Ult then shatter is a huge win factor but impossible to figure out what a voiceless Sombra is doing.

Knowledge is a two way street though.

By not knowing you also are somewhat less likely to bash someone/get mad at them.

The people that are currently bashing also aren’t necessarily the most rational. You’ll see people that complain they haven’t gotten a single heal while they have a Mercy beam healing them and that’s hardly subtle.