The flawed opinion on handicapping

It doesn’t exist though. I can’t find a single forum post (that isn’t this one) with the word “gunslingers”.

So the following:

We don’t know who the person even is?

Again we don’t know who they are and where they said this.

And your argument rests on it? Kind of ironic you can’t provide evidence for your character attack.

4 Likes

Post is quoted in topic. I just rather not look up things for you.

2 Likes

Yes and if we click on that post and do a search, keywords like “gunslinger” don’t get a hit. Why isn’t it coming up? Can you at least quote a snippet with that word? It’s kind of critical to your post.

4 Likes

This is the perfect example of “I was not rly talking about you personally” but somehow he finds himself in the post, being called out so he has to reply.

Gotta keep that rigging up theories otherwise ppl might start to ignore it so if that happens my mission is ruined.

4 Likes

There ya go but with this I’ll leave discontinue my replies to you based on past conversations.

6 Likes

Well I am implicated because he is trying to character shame the authors of posts about MMR rigging, a device the devs have said on record tries to ship matches towards 50/50 in expected outcome. A device that is backed by a company that holds several patents on rigged matchmaking, some of which feature Overwatch by name and screenshot.

EDIT thank you for at least pointing us to the correct thread where “gunslingers guild” or whatever shows up. I found the quote. It doesn’t seem relevant to proving or disproving handicapping, but if that’s the ammunition you want to use to discredit everything someone has written, here it is for people following the thread.

4 Likes

I do not think he was talking about you personally. I think he even pointed it out.

But you taking it as you being called out says a lot. I think that he was talking about Cuthbert more than you. I do not even think he referenced you in any way.

You feeling like you have been called out again says more about you. I mean I get it, at this point it is basic human reaction, you needing to react to smth that does not agree with your point of view and you have to be there to make them seem otherwise.

5 Likes

And you feeling like you need to come into threads that don’t concern you and try to guess other people’s feelings says a lot about you. Or maybe it doesn’t, because feelings will always lose to math, logic, and reasoned out arguments that don’t ground themselves in ad hominem.

3 Likes

You are right.

I guess at this point when it comes to the forums you are either allowed or not allowed to post depending on whether someone deems you worthy to reply.

If it does not concern you, you are not allowed to post.

If going by that logic you should not have replied at all. He called someone else out not you but you still felt compelled to reply to it.

So did I.

Compulsions are hard to get rid of, aren’t they?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t call random opinions and math, Logic. That’s just insulting

3 Likes

When I saw your name I could sense a familiarity, then I looked at your Overbuff profile and it says you have played today.
Then I remembered that I saw your name on my team earlier today while I was playing Lucio in 3900 SR, I think we played on Ilios. Good game homie!

2 Likes

o ye i remember , sry for inting lol gg

3 Likes

I don’t remember you inting homie, it was a good game, well played! =]

It wasn’t clear who was being called out, for what and why, which thread (and writer) they were refering to, etc. And the entire post still looks like a character attack. Try again.

MMR rigging isn’t some random opinion, it’s provably sourced by developer commentary. Rigged matchmaking isn’t some random opinion, it’s an algorithmic process protected as intellectual property, licensed for active-use in products like OW. The semantics of rigging and handicapping aren’t opinion, they’re word-for-word compliant with definitions outlined by all major online dictionaries.

5 Likes

Even if it does exist, then explain to me why the people ranking up are most of the time people who actually put the time in to learn and improve their play instead of blaming others and random factors for being hardstruck?

5 Likes

Because that has nothing to do with hidden performance calculations (MMR), and rigging a “fair” match towards 50/50 outcom expectation.

Rigging and handicapping doesn’t stop your mobility or progression, it taxes it. The MM artificially contrives matches (rigging the contest), instead of naturally and naively shipping players into a match around the scoring function, ranked payout, and ladder system itself (SR).

4 Likes

Receipts has never proven it or sourced any real evidence. Simple as. He’s made sock accounts, lied and insulted people but never proven it.

4 Likes

Except we have, time and time again - the dev commentary, the patents count as evidence towards a belief (probabilistic proof). What evidence have you got that shows non-rigging?

Recall:

There are several official sources provided for those claims, see the referenced post(s).

5 Likes

You know if they randomly queued people together you would get WAY more stomps, since you leave everything up to RNG, as in 1 team could get the best players, while the others have the average/bad players.

2 Likes

Absolutely. And that would be true, unadulterated, unrigged, non-discriminatory, raw competitive fairness and integrity at play. You rise/fall against the backdrop, which averages out for some SR band. You ship only around the scoring metric (narrow SR band), putting people that convert wins with/against people that convert wins.

Rigging for non-stomps and adapting matches to hidden performance is anti-competitive.

Do casuals need rigging to smooth things out for them? Probably, yes. But rigging most certainly takes away from unadulterated competition. You can make a case for it in casual modes, but I don’t think it has a place in comp when you’re calling the comp system path2pro esports.

5 Likes