The Fault in the Recent Mercy Nerf

Well, two days after this patch was released and I think the verdict is very clear on where the community stands on the recent nerf to Mercy’s healing output. But let’s get a bit deeper into it, shall we?

The nerf itself was completely unneeded and continues to not fix the problems Mercy has (like having resurrect on a 30 second cooldown). When playing this iteration of Mercy, all that comes to many of our minds is; “Wow, there’s definitely a reason they buffed this healing output all that time ago.”
Playing Mercy at the moment is probably the most monotonous thing I’ve ever experienced, and I used to be a Minecraft player that played the game for hours and hours every day. The feeling I have is the same mental struggle I would face if I were to row a boat with my two chubby non-muscular arms through sludgey water. Sending a silent prayer to God himself to just let the torturous task to end.
This nerf’s only accomplishment is making the character even duller to play, which in all honesty I wasn’t even sure was possible. Guess I got proven wrong hardcore!
Now with this new nerf, keeping your team up is nearly impossible. Using Valkyrie does not feel like using an ultimate ability, but using a glorified E ability, whilst Mercy’s real ultimate rests on her E ability. The 50hp/s is not NEARLY enough healing to keep a team up during a team fight, which is usually when you use Valkyrie. It has no use when going in aggressively because most damage will just go through it, and if you even think of using it defensively that’s just a massive joke.
The patch notes say as follows;

This is quite ironic because I do recall, even after getting the buff of 60hp/s, Ana was still the pick above Mercy? The only thing that changed was Valkyrie being added as her new ultimate and Ana receiving a large buff (which has until now basically made her a troll pick). Also, when I see “go-to pick for raw healing power.” I laugh. It’s hilarious that the devs could not manage to think through the reason Mercy had gotten a buff to her healing in the past. Most likely because of 50hp/s not being able to heal anything? The devs have failed to listen to us and can’t even remember why they applied buffs in the beginning.
It’s such a joke.
Mercy is still an extremely strong pick because of her ability to use resurrect every 30 seconds. There is zero skill or pay-off for this hero in this current iteration. A T500 Mercy who has just kited the enemy team amazingly and a Bronze Mercy who stood still and got headshot by the Widowmaker will have resurrect at the same time. Trying to compare this to other abilities is not possible because of how strong this ability in particular is.
The only possible reason I can see the developers putting this nerf in is their last-ditch effort for this rework, this is their final choice. It’s that much of a troll move. I refuse to believe that they will leave Mercy this way, especially when she’s so popular among the community.

This nerf is horrendous and shows how inept the Development team is at this point in time. This game is dying and they should know by now there’s only one way to fix it. That being, listening to the community feedback. When something is said so many times that its DOMINATING the Forums and the opinions of the playerbase. It’s time to make changes based on that. Overwatch League won’t be so important once all your players leave. When people don’t care about your game what will you have left? Nothing.

These problems need to be fixed for the whole community as well, not just for Mercy mains. There’s plenty of other heroes in this game that have gotten butchered by this inept version of the Development team.

1 Like

It’s 10 hps. I forgot the change went live the other day when I played, actually. And I was solohealing a couple of times.

They decided to buff mercy to make her more in line with Ana rather than nerfing Ana. Now that Ana is nerfed, they probably realized that they shouldn’t have power crept.

The nerf hasn’t even bothered me. I like to use damage boost as much as possible and let my off-support handle topping off people. I only heal when the teamfight is getting heated or someone is getting focused, which doesn’t happen too much since my damage boosted Hanzo/Widow/Junkrat/Pharah/Symmetra/Soldier/McCree is getting picks before the team fight even starts. 59% winrate on Mercy btw and I almost never have gold healing

If you don’t have gold healing as mercy before this nerf then you are doing something wrong, I remember when I play someone else other than mercy and my team’s mercy would mostly dmg boost, it felt horrible, I had to play so passively because I know by the time my mercy turn her beam from blue to yellow I would have died. I don’t know what Sr you are in, but many hero’s can one shot you to critical by the time you realise oh I need to heal this person instead of dmg boost that person is gone.

1 Like