The "Devs don't play their own game" claim

I think the best proof they don’t play all heroes equally, have low playtime, test in a very limited closed environment and/or have very bad perception is Symmetra 2.0

From the moment Symmetra 2.0 was on PTR until 9 months of being on live she had an obvious bug which took me literally 30seconds to notice on my first time testing her…

The bug was that anytime you used photon barrier and went near an object the cooldown would change from what ever number it was up to into a red number 10.

This also paused her cooldown so good Symmetra players who took cover were actually punished making the bug very game breaking for her.

Because the number was red it was extremely easy to notice yet the developers took 9 months to acknowledge it and that wasn’t because they noticed on their own.

If Blizzard had a perception stat it would be 0.

2 Likes

I actually remember an article from a developer how, most Developers shy away with interacting with the community because of the backlash they would receieve in the long run.

Which one tries not to make claims as to what is or isn’t coming to a game, because they will receive the “A-HA!” Backlash, as if the gamer knew they shouldn’t be trusted because so or so claim wasn’t honored.

Its why indie developers and those branching out have a hard time in the indsutry and those who use platforms like crowd funding. Have to watch every word they say.

With that being said, a lot of it has to deal with the backlash a developer would receive for not being vocal but at the same time for not being vocal can backfire as well. Which either way its not a win-win situation for a developer to speak out of subjects that deal with their properties so you always see them getting flack.

so what ur saying is u cant hack in in california?

prolly not if ur quoting racist movies, they dont like ‘your kind’ out here. especially since all u do is sit on ur computer and dream up ways some company far away should cater to ur needs. like i said before, find ur way off this mortal coil bigot.

not to mention the recent-ish infinite tp nerf they put in. it completely doesn’t make sense to implement.

• making her tp really costly to move, i.e. encouraging bunkering down, yet then shift the balance of tanks to reposition teams more often (on top of how often that already happens) as well as bringing in a tug.of war game made (moving objective) on top of the many modes with moving objectives
  • locking away sym’s only independent way to get in or out of her effective range esp when she’s so fragile whilst also contradicting themselves not only in going back on their word about the point of the 3.0 rework but also outright being wrong in calling the change “less restrictive”

not to mention for some reason thinking doubling the beam charge time when 3.0 was first released whilst still keeping her fragile, short ranged and immobile wouldn’t have any viability issues…

like the whole history of sym basically the pinnacle evidence tbh.

It’s not first time they back down on their own promises.

Most disgusting thing about this all, is that they listen to players, who aren’t going to play hero in question, and have their own interest in putting that hero out of commission.

I honestly don’t even know if they willingly/knowingly went back on it or not. because the tp patch had the dev comment saying the infinite tp patch was supposed to be less restricting:

like they’re saying this should make sym more flexible (which flexibility and dynamic was the whole point of sym3.0 rework) yet their actions are the exact opposite. :man_shrugging: :clown_face: :woman_shrugging:

also as a side vent:
like that comment is a straight up lie, straight up wrong, and straight up shows how little they know about sym gameplay.
/end vent

They meant it to be restricting on how many teammates you can teleport. And viewed her teleport as her old sym 2.0 teleport, which was not the case anymore, since she lost her shield as ability.

Basically, they only view effects Symmetra has on her team, and completely disregard experience of Symmetra player.

except even in the pure team use perspective it’s still false because tp is forced to either be stuck in one place for really long periods of time or stuck in cd land.

i.e. with teams repositioning much more often than sym can get back a tp cast, and soon to be more often with the upcoming patch, you simply just won’t have tp in a valuable place unless you bunker down (oh hey an old sym issue rework was supposed to fix).

the only thing it helped were people who still haven’t learnt to be aware of nor bother to even try to track the notification text + tp HUD location chevrons for the past >1 year sym had tp as a base ability because tp wouldn’t move. which is so hypocritical of the community that frequently snaps “just adapt” or so up themselves about skill these days.

I found Symmetra 2.0 to be more dynamic, than…this. Put teleport in some important place, and you are free to go in combat with your shield and beam. Put turrets for extra protection of your teleport, or put them in other place your presence is needed.

They did same to Torbjorn, which made me drop him: they removed ability to be present in multiple places. Can’t create armor supply for my team in one place, put turret at second, and be myself at third, with ult to quickly fix my turret remotely, if it’s under attack.

This is what enters my mind every time Jeff talks about Symmetra.

1 Like

You must be very high or the good Chiba Chiba to type that nonsense. Would also explain why you’ve been white knighting for the devs.

First Captain America, you understood the reference which by your logic going to see a movie turns you racist then you’re just as racist as me for watching Pulp Fiction.

Now Samuel L is super racist for starring in it. So is Bruce Willis. Strange they still work and live out there since you used a generalization to say “my kind” won’t be liked.

And you are grasping for topic grenades. That’s not what my job is. Take a few million more guesses what I do. Not on my laptop or PC right now.

All my replies have been via cellphone while I am killing time.

That’s great that you think I need to move to California as a requirement to make Overwatch stop being stale. I could have thought of 20 more reasonable suggestions that don’t involve must get hired by Blizzard.

You want to troll me while shielding 3years of bad balance choices and ptr bugs going through like quiet footsteps, it’s cool see, it’s cool.

The game is still gonna be stale while you continue to argue about my hypothetical job status to transfer working for Activision…

Or how about I use your bait card. Derp if you think Pulp Fiction is so racist, herp. Why don’t you derka derka move in with Quentin, herpa-derpa teach him how to make movies. Cause that’s how improving things works, derka.

Tl:Dr, at this point ya being so ridiculously I will just go hard in the paint on being silly

1 Like

Back in the day I came across Jeff playing once. I haven’t seen him in awhile though.

From what it sounds like. Blizzard is going to be focusing on Overwatch II. But, throughout the last couple of years. There has been no addressing of the problems. So if they do NOT address the top problems in their next game. Over-2 will flop.

i never suggested that u move to california (that was you), nor did i paint that as the only solution (you went down that tangent). if u reread my posts with an open mind you will see that the only thing i have suggested u do it be positive. help out. not physically be there for the company (that was you). i just meant dont be a mensch. dont sit on some forum pointing out problems like its someone elses job to solve them for you. i said be part of a community that supports and encourages the devs.

white knighting for them? sure. if u call standing up to mean spirited demolitionists like you that want to tear something down thats too big for them to ever have dreamed up.

stop spending all your time on ur phone. look at the world around you. its a beautiful place.

How are they going to do that, is unclear. Most likely they won’t, as WoW went into similar state through similar decision making process. And since you mention Jeff - he was part of WoW dev team in the past.

Dude… Remember the absolutely broke Doomfist? Not the OP one, but the one with 20+ bugs.

The dev team acknowledged those bugs after some user made a post with a gif per bug.

The thing?
People was complaining about those bugs for more than a month by that time, and all you needed to do to replicate 80% of them in under 5 minutes, was playing a custom game against bots. Without even the knowledge that the character was literally broken.

From that moment on, it was clear that they don’t play the game.

You still arguing this? You suggested I go work for Blizzard. So I’m pretty sure since they are in California that I wouldn’t be staying in my current State. Cause that’s not how applying for jobs works.

I read your post and that’s a nice kettle you borrowed from my pot that I think I will call Black when you say I go on a tangent but you been topic jumping in each reply.

Soooooo just want to be clear, you insinuating me being racist is your definition of being positive. Cause you keep using that word but I do not think it means what you think it means.

You suggested I couldn’t hack it in California. I’m no linguistic scholar but pretty sure “couldn’t” is a negative.

Lemme check Google, “ok Google, is couldn’t a positive or a negative word?”

Google: “does this device have a sign that says, positive and negative word connotation storage on my garage?”

Well Google not really and not what I asked-

“THAT’S BECAUSE TELLING YOU COMMON SENSE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE CONNOTATION AIN’T MY FRIGGIN JOB!”

well… damn, oh and that’s racist Google.

Oh wait i was drinking from the hyperbole KoolAid.

Ya absolutely supercalifragilisticexpialidociously right Ninjagear

If only I type happy thoughts the devs would suddenly listen to the community and the game would so not be stale.

The power of love AND PEACE was all we needed today to not have a crap matchmaker for 3 years, or Paris not to suck as a map, or unfun metas that the community, Reddit, YouTube, and this forum warns about but goes live on the PTR anyway.

It ain’t that they are out of touch, don’t listen, slow to change and stubborn to address a fault.

It was my negativity that was holding them back.
If only Dorothy and the witch had told me I had the power to make the devs change for better this whole time with positivity.

We did it Reddit. We fixed Overwatch. We can all go home. Knowing positivity creates change for better is knowing best.

And Knowing is half the battle.

PS. We’re you not listening to the Dude’s story, all day on my phone? That’s like your opinion maaaan. Borderlands 3, and Ganryu my old main in Tekken is back. Ain’t nobody got time for all day on the phone when other games are out.

Dec 10th I’m bout that sumo life, boss

Or you know keep arguing with me cause that’s also positivity. I mean not arguing, happy disagreements :wink:

k

20 characters in this post

The devs balance the game in relation to what’s going to happening months from now. The real problem is that players wants the game balanced according to what’s happening today. While I agree that balance patches could happen faster, you need to respect the bigger picture. Remember, it’s the players who create the meta, not the devs, so they have to wait and see what we do. The devs tried to force the meta when they released Brigitte, and that didn’t go very well.

I think it has more to do with Blizz’s culture than anything. Their obsession to be inclusive ruined this game.

What do I mean by this? They kept adding incredibly easy to play heroes with low learning curves to have more mass appeal. It’s no longer about just skills but rock-paper-scissors, and re-countering the counter heroes/meta’s. This game has been a complete dog sh*t for at least a year.

This is honestly what I see whenever we get certain changes/characters. Instead what it can/will/might effect they look solely at what they want it to effect. Tracer and Genji have been needing mobility nerfs for ages so their counters don’t need to be beefed up monstrosities that destroy everyone else. But instead we got original brig which absolutely destroyed everyone.
They say “We are looking at CC.” and the next hero we get Sigma is 90% CC. It just boggles my mind how poorly they look at things.