The Demon Hunter Sombra controversy still hasn't been resolved

Original discussion thread.

It was previously stated that:

The in-game items for Overwatch, StarCraft II, and StarCraft: Remastered will also be available separately in 2019—further details will be announced at a later date.

Shortly after, Demon Hunter Sombra was removed from the PTR and moved into the “Legacy” skin category—skins that are never intended to be available again (i.e. Pink Mercy, Noire Widowmaker, Nano Cola D.VA).

While there is still time in 2019, this issue was clearly swept under the rug, and I don’t think it should be forgotten. It’s straight-up false advertising.

Edit: This is speculation, but perhaps it will be released alongside the announcement of Diablo 4 at Blizzcon?

48 Likes

I believe there was a dev response at some point saying that the skin wasn’t going to be available after all.

6 Likes

If you or someone else could find a source for this that would be great, if not then no worries

3 Likes

There’s no controversy. It was a piece of the goodie-bag. If you didn’t get the goodie-bag, you didn’t get the skin.

5 Likes

Does huntress Sombra is out now? I haven’t played Overwatch since April 2019.

Care to source that claim?

I try to take any opportunity I can get, but still don’t have any news on this.

31 Likes

It’s September. I mean, they technically still have months.

My bet is it’ll either be out during Halloween, some Diablio immortal cross promotion, thrown out during Christmas or forgotten :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

They made an official post saying that the skin would be available to the public through other means in 2019. So no, it was not intended to only have a $50 price tag.

24 Likes

The skin will be available during Blizzcon. I guarantee it.

I don’t have any sources or information on it, but they said 2019. The most likely date would be during Blizzcon.

2 Likes

That does make sense. They’ll probably release it with the announcement of Diablo 4.

It didn’t have a $50 price tag.
The blizzcon goodie-bag did.

2 Likes

Try telling that to the people that complained their $50 skin was on the ptr for 1000 coins :rofl:

1 Like

Don’t be pedantic. The only way to get the skin was to buy a package that was $50 total.

14 Likes

If thats true, then we cant realy trust this devs at all, especialy if they said it gona be added then decide “nope, we not gona do it anymore who care what we said” XD

9 Likes

If they bought a skin that was promised to be added to the game at a later date for $50, that’s on them.

11 Likes

I’ll gladly tell them.
Not to mention the PTR by it’s nature, is subject to change.
They thought about it, and stuck to their precedent, clearly.

I didn’t even get the skin, I’m just tired of the vocal minority whining and moaning about something that they had plenty of time to prepare to get.

1 Like

I’m more in the boat of ‘you brought a goodie bag, you got it, had it for months, now it’s time others can have it and enjoy it.’

Like I wasn’t jealous when Oni and Officer got added to the lootbox haul. I knew that was a timed exclusive. I had my time with it, enjoyed earning them through HOTS and now others can get it :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Well, it may not even have been the devs decision. It could be a marketing decision.
A LOT of people were refunding the Blizzcon 2018 virtual ticket soon after they realised the Sombra skin will be available later this year at some point.
Infact so many people were requesting refunds that they are no longer accepting refund requests for the virtual ticket in the future now.

Think about it, if you are only into Overwatch, what was the point in buying last year’s virtual ticket? I mean you can just watch the panels on YouTube for 100% free 1 week later and if you have a bit of patience you will also be able to get the Sombra skin potentially for 100% free aswell at some point this year.
It was a complete waste of $50. You may aswell burn that $50 in a fire.

I’m thinking Blizzard is worried they will not sell as many virtual tickets this year because people may assume the same thing will happen to this year’s in-game goodies, so they may have backed away from what they said in the fine print.

But still, It’s false advertisement if this is the case.

4 Likes