The Crappy SR System

So you know how games would be if there was an mmr reset, idk how you’d want that unless you enjoyed having golds-gms in “plat” games.

I was high Masters in FFA, and if you play games like Rainbow Six Siege in which sometimes matchmaking will deliberately put Plats with Silvers, you should get used to this.

And do I like being paired against GM’s? Yes. When you play competitive, you unconsciously agree to taking the challenge, whether you like it or not.

Hey sorry I forgot to answer this.

Short answer: 1600 to gold took me about a month.

Long answer:

My entire first season of Overwatch was spent dropping because I played it like Call of Duty and only played soldier, and I started about halfway through. I actually initially placed at 2350 in s4, but never went any higher than what I placed because I had no idea what I was doing. By the end of s4 I had fallen to 1800 and was sitting at a mediocre 38% winrate overall. My initial placement was a fluke; I absolutely was not a mid gold player.

The first season that I consider my ‘real’ season where I started at a skill level I belonged in was s5, in which I placed 1600. I climbed to gold with Lucio in probably a month after focusing on improving, but I got stuck in 1900-2100 until I joined the scrub cup and was matched with a GM hitscan main as coach who convinced me to play DPS and showed me how to play the role successfully. I finished s5 just barely in plat.

2 Likes

overwatch uses to many factors in match making. That and giving or taking SR. Did you play as good as 100 other soldiers76’s on that match? Did you heal as good as 100 lucio’s on that map? It’s not how you did in the match it’s how others did previously. You might have rocked the healing and still not done as good. Which leads to a serious problem that has yet to be addressed.

Thats great thanks thanks for the response i joined the scrub cup discord server.

And you do realize it’s because they are trying to match your MMR and SR, so if you have too high a SR, then they set you up in matches where you lose to balance it out, for the ultimate good, of course… so it’s not the SR.

i guess that makes sense

This is nonsense, only SR is used to make average team sr’s as close as possible for a match. MMR is simply what one of the devs used to describe SR without decay.

No, there is SR and MMR. SR is your score that represents where you are at in ranked, MMR is the skill rating the game has decided you’re at. If your MMR and SR don’t match, then it will try to place you where it believes you’re supposed to be. This is why you will go on long win streaks and losing streaks before it balances out.

1 Like

You have no clue of how matchmaking works. Why do you come up with such fantasies? Does it make you feel better about your rank? Feeling better about yourself isn’t gonna make you play better.

Blockquote
This is why you will go on long win streaks and losing streaks before it balances out.

Only in your case.

Actually this was how it was explained to the community by Blizzard, so apparently you missed that whole part of the MMR debate over the years, or you’re unaware of what MMR actually is. MMR is used to choose your opponents in Casual, but it’s used to place you at what rank they believe you should be in Ranked. This has been how its worked since the start of the game. How do you think they set your SR after your placement matches?

Actually thats not how blizzard devs explained it and its not me who apparently missed the debate. I bet you just started playing the game recently hence level 150 and 600sr. You must have either had low ability to comprehend dev posts (like some <1500 sr conspiracy theorists here have in the past) or you’ve simply listed to those theorists still active today and liked their interpretation of dev posts. But hey, here, let me enlighten you as to what the devs have meant with what they said. MMR is combined stats/performance rating for quickplay, in no way is it anyhow used for ranked, including placements. SR for first time placements is 2500 ± wins/losses. More consecutive wins/losses increases/decreases amount of sr gained/lost from the base of 2500.
MMR for ranked is what devs internally refer to SR without decay (only applies for player over 3000). Under 3000 there is a modifier AFTER a match that adjusts SR gain or loss by up to 30% depending on stats relative to playerbase (on that map, that hero, etc) performance is not used by matchmaking. Sole matchmaking algorithm is just putting 6 players on each team that average out as same or close sr as other 6 players on the enemy team, thats all.

This could be Gambler’s fallacy, yes, but let’s not forget that if you never leave than the odds are skewed your way anyways.

If you are arguing against leavers, throwers, griefers and the like, it would be much more helpful to actually come up with solutions against these problems than to propose an entirely new SR reset system. Not to mention it wouldn’t fix that issue whatsoever.

Comparing Overwatch to Siege is very disingenuous. One person can carry far easier than in Overwatch. It is much harder to get an ace in Overwatch (kill the whole enemy team with no assistance) than it is in Siege.

Now you seem to be moving your argument more towards it doesn’t help players improve, which is interesting to say the least. Maybe a system that increases the ranges of sr in the games played. Still though, this would infuriate a large part of the community, breed toxicity, and overall ruin sr ranges. An entire reset every season would literally cause chaos. GMs playing with Bronzes in “plat” tier would just result in the team with more GMs to win. Every bracket would eventually be back to where it was. This so called “improvement” you speak of would not happen within a matter of a couple games. Not to mention being able to 6-stack and just bulldoze everyone. I don’t think people realize the difference in skill between all tiers. As one who has experienced pretty much all of them on multiple platforms, the are very big.

just saying so doesn’t really make it true.

I don’t really know how that pretains to the quote but ok. Anyways, then argue against the actual issues at hand. Drastically altering the entire SR system is not going to do anyone any good, and would ultimately result in a cycle of utter chaos, unfun, and back to where we started.

Do you know how stupid that statement is? Just because you count yourself out, it doesn’t mean you should discount the fact that atleast one guy on the other team thinks the same. Because if you think of that, then everyone’s basically thinking it consciously or unconsciously. Its literally a matter of which one can have one more than the other.

Oh, I don’t need to add anymore. I think people should just look this up: Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

Comparing the two is fair when you look at every sense of similarity of it, despite that their directions are the complete opposite. Here’s the flawed logic of being able to solo carry in Overwatch. You’d have to take the role that actually frags/kills/eliminates by design in order to solo-carry. The problem is that the game is way too heavily team-reliant that its hand-holding, rather than actual cooperation more often than not. Have one guy underperform enough on your team then the odds are against your favor. Rainbow Six Siege is literally communication, strategies, tactics, and cooperation. Being able to ace is a last resort that is necessary if you really want to climb, but can be compensated for with other ways such as being able to frag enough to make it easier for the last guy to clutch. In a controlled environment, such as OWL and R6’s Pro League, both are about communication, strategies, tactics, and cooperation. The differences are that Siege demands that everyone is capable of pulling of an ace (whether you’re the support, breacher, roamer, anchor, etc…), while Overwatch demands everyone to be in sync. Be off beat long enough (which can range for a nano-second to even a few seconds in a team fight), and it almost doesn’t matter if your Genji/Tracer/Hanzo/Widow can do anything.

With this, then the community does reflect the game’s intention: a casual game trying to be hardcore. We have threads in this game to not take Competitive seriously, some people complaining about pointless things, and we have threads in this game proposing solutions that are mostly bad… but for every X amounts of bad proposals, there are some good ones. An SR reset would really test if a player deserves to be somewhere, rather than having to buy another account to do so. If he’s not good enough, he’ll go back to where he was. If he really was good enough, then he’d be ahead of where he last was. I’m not talking about placements, I’m talking about maintaining a skill bracket.

Tell that to the many boosted Masters and GM’s that don’t know how to do anything when they aren’t with their booster.

Then you aren’t paying attention.

4 Likes

get wrecked RedElRegnans

You cited a very wordy thread in which the author makes a ton of claims without any evidence about them whatsoever. It’s just another ‘the system is holding me back’ thread.

1 Like

I think I failed to add or specify the context to what I meant by that. I meant that I don’t think I need to add any further, because posts like that thread I linked already has alot of people who are very vocal about atleast one part of comp.

The only thing I hate about the system is how its unreliable in terms of dealing with legitimate/blatant griefing/trolling/throwers. Ever since LFG came in, I couldn’t be happier… though it becomes useless when you hit a high enough rank (simply because players of high enough rank tend to use it less in favor of playing with a fixed set of people via through their discord servers, friends list, etc…), and the problems that LFG solves is negated.

Comp ranking deosnt show your skill especially in low ranks

This system is the worst im silver border basically level 700 and every game i play has lvl 25s. Not uncommon to get 2-3 per game. And no they are not smurfs 90% of the time. These players are hard throwing and shouldn’t be allowed in my games. Sorry if that doesn’t sound nice but i’ve been through bronze and im sick of it.

What makes the SR system really bad is that it is completely undermined by MMR, which is a handicapping system. More information:

2 Likes