The community in this game is killing it

To me, what damages the experience is not being able to play or talk because I did some light trash talking in a competitive online game where EVERYONE trash talks. Also, getting perma banned after spending a lot of money on an account because of harmless trash talking is absolutely ridiculous. They need to focus more on balancing and hackers. IMO, they shouldn’t even be involved in chat when players have so many options to handle it themselves. What is considered “offensive” or “toxic” is highly subjective too.

I think yeah that’ll be some clans for sure. They’ll definitely be “super positive 24/7…or else!

But I don’t think every clan would be the same and I think why toxicity is an issue is because you’re paired up with so many different people with different tastes, temperaments and personalities.

For example, having someone who is blunt and direct paired up with someone who needs more supportive comms is going to end in disaster. However if you take them both and place them in clans that have like-minded people, they will have a better experience. One will be around people who are forward/direct. The other will be around people that understand they need less harsh comms and something more supportive.

Using myself as an example I’d love a clan that doesn’t mind some banter (even if it is a bit rough sometimes), that want to win and aren’t afraid to mix things up with weird comps or try something that probably won’t work but has a shot. So I know full well if we lose, people on my team won’t start throwing blame around and having fits of rage but understand this is what our clan does, we try out different stuff and sometimes it doesn’t work.

1 Like

No game community wants trash talking in there game.

Also there is a big difference between banter and abusive chat.

There is a big difference between banter and abusive chat, I agree. Who decides this though? Jeff? Some random GM? Some random player? It’s so subjective. I disagree on that “no game community wants trash talking”. Really? Then why do sooo many people do it? Have you ever played online games before this one? There is ALWAYS trash talking. It’s not a big deal. It’s so very simple to hit the mute button and move on. It takes literally less than 3 seconds. Poof…no more problems. Toxic trash talker gone. Why Blizzard has to be involved at all is a mystery to me. You know what it is? People aren’t satisfied with just not hearing the toxicity anymore. We have bred a generation of people who think their “feelings” are so important and that it’s a crime to offend someone or say something that they don’t like so they want to know that a person has been punished for daring to offend them. That’s all it is. Validation. It’s a joke.

Not to this level. Other games don’t require 100s or 1000s of report before action is taken.

Sports have regulations and referees. Video games have their support groups.

It is not a machine’s job to moderate player behavior. Peoples’ behavior.

So when you make an excuse that this level of player abuse in a video game platform is somehow “normal” I cannot help but cringe man.

Because we honestly can do much better here other games have already done so.

BS. It does not take 100’s or 1000’s of reports before action is take. I have been silenced by no lie, less than 12 reports before. I just don’t get it. There is a language filter, a mute option, a block option, an avoid as team mate option. Why is it so hard to just handle it yourself?

If the person takes offence to it then its not banter. And then saying oo they just need to grow up and stop being sensitive cus then that is being more toxic. That is when you stop being a prick and just go okay i went to far and not keep on going and calling them names.

The problem with this is people report people for EVERY little tiny thing. It’s abused. Heavily. I don’t call people names. I don’t tell people “kys” and all that other nonsense that trolls do. I just call people out on bad playing and curse a lot in general, not necessarily directed at anyone. This is not being toxic to me. My whole point is that if you don’t like it, just mute me/block me and move on. Blizzard shouldn’t be involved in chat.

Lol ok here’s how subjective this is: I am offended by the word “the”. Should I really expect you to stop using the word “the”? You can’t prove that I am NOT offended by the word “the”. Are my feelings less valuable than yours or other people who are not offended by the word “the”?

1 Like

I shouldn’t have to do anything of the sort. People don’t even warn you before they report you, they just report you. It’s like I said. People aren’t happy with just blocking someone and moving on. They need their feelings validated. They need to KNOW that someone was punished for having the audacity to say something they didn’t like. It’s a joke. Society is no different. Look at all the snowflakes who think their feelings should never be hurt or never have to hear anything they disagree with it. It’s a joke…just like this game and the overbearing chat police.

It’s not just that, non-meta players get reported left and right or if they don’t play what’s meta, people also throw games cause of it. I don’t mind toxicity cause you can’t really stop it but Overwatch is really toxic when it comes to the community.

1 Like

Honestly, the only reason I have ever reported anyone is because people report me for stupid things and I get silenced so I started reporting everyone for every little stupid thing just because. I could care less what a person says in a game. I have thick skin. Like literally NOTHING you could say would bother me to the point where I actually felt the need to report you. I just simply don’t care. Cursing doesn’t bother me. Even major inappropriate trash talking doesn’t bother me. It’s a game. I’m not going to get someone banned and make them lose access to an account they spent money on over chat ffs. It’s stupid.

Anyone can mindlessly blame the players.
But we all know it’s bad balance, horrible design, terrible development, limited communication, a refusal to accept feedback, and unbearably slow changes that are killing this game.

1 Like

I agree sometimes people in the overwatch community can be a bit too quick to call something toxic. Heck I been called toxic on these fourms before. I remember one time that I found funny.

I pointed out that I’m not a fan of one tricks. Especially Sym one tricks. So in game if I’m in comp and have a Sym one tricks on my team, I would leave the game before it even starts. I eat the 50 sr lost and ten min suspension. I would then avoid the player. Never say a word to the person or to anyone.

So someone on the boards said that is toxic and they went on a rant how it is toxic. I found it funny.

So yeah some people need to chill out with calling things toxic when they are not. Mute button is there. Heck I rarely join team chat in qp or arcade and for the most part now a days I just play comp with a six stack of friends.

1 Like

Eh, they do have a point that is a pretty mean thing to do just cause the player is a Sym OTP.

But the only person taking any kind of hit is me. I never say anything to the Sym or anyone else. The match never starts and at my elo you can find a game within a minute. I don’t insult the Sym player, I don’t harrass the Sym, I say nothing to them.

I use to way back in the day ask them to switch but they never do. I have become soured on one tricks in general and rather not deal with it. So I just do what I can and that is leave. I put the player on avoid so they won’t be on my team again. All tools blizzard provide.

It is the same thing as in Voltron, I love the show

but I hate the fandom

it irritates me when people want Klance, when they are only friendly to each other

I mean I wanna talk about artwork and all, but I can´t because of this

The people in this community wouldn’t last 2 seconds back in 2012 in a black ops 2 lobby lmao

2 Likes

I occasionally do. But it’s usually only 1 person and everyone else tells them to knock it off

yeah, leaving comp is dump, you just ruin experience from others

I wouldn´t call hidden profiles a good thing, though