The Characters Who Need More Lore the Most (opinion)

These characters don’t seem to have a lot going on and I really like them. I would love to see more lore dedicated to them. The last one is the one I think needs it most.

1. Wrecking Ball.
    Hammond landed in Australia and participated in mech battles. That much we know. But that’s also pretty much all we know. He’s from the Horizon Lunar Colony, but that’s not really important to anything that will likely be done with him in the future.
    I personally would love to see him end up with Talon as a mirror to Winston. Maybe at some point he could get put up against Winston and realize that he might be a villain. Talon needs more members and Wrecking Ball radiates a sort of troublemaker vibe.
  2. Widowmaker.
    What we know about Widowmaker: she works for Talon and she was brainwashed into killing her husband. She also is very loyal to Talon and doesn’t feel any emotion except at the moment of a kill.
    As far as new events, there’s nothing. What is Widowmaker doing? Will she have a character arc? Will she betray Talon after getting her emotions back over time? Maybe she’ll disappear entirely later to be found by Soldier 76 and they’ll battle before she crumbles under the weight of guilt for killing so many innocents.
  3. Lucio.
    What we know about Lucio: his father invented the sound technology he uses and it is or at least was owned by Vishkar. That’s it. I don’t have much to work with here so I don’t have any ideas, but I like his optimistic personality and think he’d work great in Overwatch. Maybe he’ll be a rival to Tracer?
  4. Symmetra.
    Symmetra isn’t my favorite character but part of that is because I know nothing about her. She likes order and hates chaos and she works for Vishkar, but we know pretty much nothing about Vishkar.
  5. Hanzo.
    We actually have good lore for Hanzo, but as far as current events, he seems absent. I want to see him join Talon for a bit in the hopes of restoring the Shimada empire, but later quit or betray them when he realizes he’ll have to fight Genji again. Or maybe he won’t quit and Genji has to fight him even though he really does not want to.
  6. MEKA
    Dva’s got a great personality and I want to see her join the new Overwatch team. But she’s aligned with MEKA which we know close to nothing about. MEKA is super interesting and I definitely want more info on them both past and present.
  7. Roadhog.
    I like Roadhog.
  8. ZENYATTA
    What we know about Zenyatta: He is a monk. That’s it. Do I even need to explain why we need more attention to Zenyatta? The omnic monks in general need more attention. I would love for Zenyatta to travel the world and later meet up with the Overwatch team. I can’t imagine he’d join though. He strikes me as a pacifist. Also, Junkrat seems to love killing omnics. Maybe he could kill off Zenyatta later in the story and that causes Genji to fall back into his old killer assassin personality for a bit. Maybe Roadhog could kill Junkrat because after Genji begins hunting them down Roadhog realizes that Junkrat has caused too much trouble for what he’s worth.
4 Likes

Widowmaker, Lucio, D.Va, and Zenyatta are all confirmed to be in the Overwatch 2 story.

It is incredibly likely we will see Hanzo appear alongside the Yamagami teased from the Kanezaka letter (either Asa or her daughter.)

But why would he join Talon? This isn’t mirroring Winston, especially since we already have an antagonist on the colony in Simon. Simon is suggested to be the one who instigated the rebellion and execution of the scientists. Hammond is just some neutral party that tagged along the escape to Earth. It is also worth mentioning Horizon Lunar Colony is one of the few maps we did not see in any capacity at BlizzConline.

Widowmaker is one of the heroes with the most presence in the lore. She is featured in 3 shorts (one of which she is the protagonist of) and has a prominent role in two comics. She is there is almost every event where Talon has been relevant. She recently purchased her family home Chateau Guillard, which is her base of operations. We have also seen that she has a massive presence in the India mission in Overwatch 2.

We’ve already seen that he joins the team following the Rio mission in Overwatch 2.

You should read her short story Stone By Stone, or her comic A Better World. They explore her character more, with Stone By Stone being a more recent event that explores her character.

He has a number of voicelines expressing the exact opposite of this. Talon is trying to recruit him like they did his father, and he has no interest in joining Talon. If anything, I expect he will appear alongside the Yamagami character. Maybe Talon decided to work with the Hashimoto instead, and he is fighting against that.

D.Va was shown to be part of the Overwatch team in the storyboards for Overwatch 2. Just D.Va, not the rest of her team.

Is about as important as Junkrat. They don’t really have any interest in saving the world or doing anything other than blowing stuff up. I don’t think they’ll do anything important in the OW2 launch story either.

They said they were open to killing off characters. I don’t think its going to happen. Killing off characters closes them off too finally for the kind of game and story Overwatch is. And if you want Zen lore, read Stone By Stone or wait for Overwatch 2. Again, he is in India.

8 Likes

Idk about that. When IGN asked Jeff Kaplan about how they would integrate heroes into the story mode Jeff specifically mentioned Hanzo as a “real edge case” who would have a hard time fitting into the story. If they were planning on having him appear like that, he wouldn’t have been used as an example.

3 Likes

OP: “Here’s characters that need more lore”

Also OP: “Let junkrat kill this character who needs more lore”

Don’t touch my boy zenyatta. :c

10 Likes

Junkrat do what?

Genji do what?

ROADHOG DO WHAT?!?!

3 Likes

Dont forget Zarya and Pharah

Strongest woman on Earth. Has been weightlifter. Chased down Sombra after a deal with Volskaya. Thats it.

Pharah

Helix Raptora soldier. Daughter of Ana

5 Likes

Again, both were shown in story boards to be part of the Overwatch 2 story. Pharah was even rendered in some Toronto scenes.

4 Likes

That still means that they need lore. They have to fill in the blank spaces before OW2 comes out. Zarya going with them was the most surprising but random thing i’ve ever seen (Not a negative thing though)

3 Likes

Zenyatta and Junkrat die? Yeah no thanks

I feel like killing off characters is a great way to help the story feel more real and not just a reason to play the game.

Killing off characters is a gimmick used by bad writers to gain controversy - it’s like the clickbait of writing.

4 Likes

Yeah but it makes absolutely no sense to have them two to die and in that way

There are ways to have stakes without hero death. For instance, Tracer failing to defeat Widowmaker in Alive led to mass riots in King’s Row and furthered tensions between Omnics and Humans in a possibly irredeemable way. We could see a mission where Overwatch fails, and a city like Vancouver or Lisbon is permanently lost to Null Sector, much like Theramore or Teldrassil in Warcraft.

They didn’t need to kill Tyrande or Malfurion to raise the stakes for the night elves, instead they burned their capital.

3 Likes

You are being hyperbolic, right?

2 Likes

Jeff said wrecking ball (and hanso) most likely won’t be playable in the story so they’ll probably only be in a couple cutscenes. I hope more story content is added post launch because I want to see Winston and Hammond reunite.

Pharah and Zarya are the two characters I want to know more about (but we know they’ll be in the story so looks like we will get more lore for them)

Agree with D.Va, apart from the shooting star cinematic she is lacking in lore but we know she’ll be in the story.

Zenyatta (who’s in the story), Hanzo, Moira, Sigma, the Junkers and Orisa are characters I hope we see more of.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how Symmetra fits in the story. Her recent story (Stone by Stone) hints at her future and I think she’s going to play a big part.

It was not in the panel, but the end of Hero of Numbani suggested that she was taking a “Sojourn” abroad.

4 Likes

Sigma. Some personal bias here for I find his setup really freaking interesting and unique i.e. non-villainous powerful person being in cahoots with villains because he basically knows no better but even if he did know he still has his mental issues which could pull him to whatever direction. He quite honestly was the first character that really made me wonder: “What happens next with him?”
The other reason is that currently he’s kind of… detached from the grand scheme of things which is why I’d like to see him more involved. I think his situation has so much potential for character development(s) but I guess we’ll see whether they actually DO anything with it.

5 Likes

Gabriel Reyes, as in, him as a private person.

There isn’t all too much about his background, and especially not much about who the people were he was watching in the Christmas comic.

I’m a little biased.

Also Moira’s background outside of her work life.

5 Likes

I want more sombra lore.

2 Likes

literally all of them exept maybe tracer need a lot

but i really want sonething for mercy cuz she seems SO boring
idk why tho

also dont kill zen please :sob::pray: