The 'Black Girl' Hero & Apex Legends

Apex League of Legends marketing crew working overtime.

The fact that any character gets nerfed or buffed isn’t a refutation. The only way Brigitte got into the game is because Blizzard consciously put her there.

It would help to read my entire post, namely this part:

Why would I make a case for an argument that you’re putting into my mouth? I’m not playing this little game here.

You’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. I know that white people tend to be inundated by their own race.

That isn’t my problem though. If you’re going to be making a product for a diverse and/or international audience, the fact that your life is racially homogenous is not an excuse for creating insensitive material. We are in an age of unfettered access to global cultures. You can learn how others live by just Googling it. Even Disney takes the time to research its animated movies regardless of where they take place.

White artists don’t deserve a mulligan for screwing up non-white characters, diverse locations, or products intended for international consumption just because they’re white, especially when that wouldn’t fly in the reverse.

Good thing I never said that or you’d have a point.

But Blizzard never intended to put her in the way she was, presumably. That’s what I’m referring to: Not everything in game development is a conscious choice of which all consequences have been considered and calculated.

“Sloppy and naive” is completely different from “Not in tune with your specific world view”.

But that’s the game you HAVE to play if you want to push representation as some kind of mandate or requirement, or that lack thereof is some sort of slight or failure on the part of the dev team.

But that’s not what I am talking about. I am talking about the idea that the lack of a specific minority is not evidence of active exclusion, and that this can occur naturally without malicious intent.

Um?

2 Likes

Which again is not the argument I’m making.

The argument I’m making against this ridiculous notion that games, or any art, are somehow just born of random cosmic happenstance. They aren’t. They’re created. As such the creators are directly responsible for the outcome regardless of their intent.

You’re trying to peg the argument as one of intent. But intent doesn’t actually matter; the outcome does.

No it’s not.

Saying that “media representation is important because it increases the breadth of storytelling and outcomes in quality of life for minorities” is a different argument than saying “x title is objectively required to include minorities.” You’re trying to conflate a general advocacy of inclusion with some weird strawman that Overwatch needs to be forced to be better, and again I’m not willing to play that game with folks where they try to peg me as saying stuff I’m not. There’s plenty of other places online to tilt at windmills.

Ultimately, you can make whatever exclusionary piece of art you want to. Freedom of expression and all that. If you want to make fiction that only features and caters to straight white men, God bless you. Make whatever makes you happy. But in an increasingly globalised world where people who aren’t straight white dudes are becoming bigger and bigger shares of the market and bigger voices in our cultural conversations, no one is obligated to pretend that such a default isn’t boring or unappealing.

Again, you seem to think intent matters. It really doesn’t beyond making a moral platitude about any given creator, and frankly I don’t really care to know what’s in Blizzard’s heart. The creator’s soul is irrelevant. I care that- if they’re going to include ethnic minorities in Overwatch- that it be done with the same level of quality as the white folks. That’s the beginning and end of it.

Once again, do you think games just randomly sprout from the earth or are they created by human beings with direct control over the product? It’s one or the other.

I don’t give a damn about diversity but I do want to play as that black woman with white hair that it was seen in one of the first overwatch trailers, her design looked amazing.

So let’s collapse everything on this because this discussion started with YOUR accusation that developers are INTENTIONALLY excluding minorities from games. I said that was bogus. That is what this discussion is about. YOU moved the goalposts to some sort of bigger societal goal.

No, it’s not. That’s a dichotomy that you envision in your mind, but it’s not actually true. Specifically, there’s games that BANK on it not being true, like Magicka did. Emergent gameplay is a thing.

Devs have a concept and execute it, but the quality of that execution can create new ideas or make things fail to come together. Your idea that devs are somehow omniscient and have EVERY single eventuality completely plotted out in their heads is a complete folly.

2 Likes

I’m just going to make a third person observation and say that Firellius is on point and the other dude(tte) is just being paranoid

Yes, because literally the only way games are created over the span of years is through a conscious effort by a group of tens, sometimes hundreds of human beings. However, that doesn’t mean that group of people intended any direct malice or hatred towards the groups they excluded.

This is what I mean by separating the outcome of a product from the subjective intent of a product. A creator has direct control over what they put- or don’t put- into their own work. Of course you can’t account for how an audience will receive the work, but that’s why criticism is a thing and it’s why calls for representation are so vocal. The road towards better media is a long process in which the moral alignment of the creator is irrelevant. But progress won’t be had when folks try to stifle the effort because they assume every single time someone criticises a product on that front they’re calling the creator a bad person. It’s not about them at all.

Remember when marvel had like no female super hero movies, just side characters.

Then the DC movie universe finally made 1 decent movie which was wonder woman. Then suddenly Disney went into a rush to get a female super movie and the tone changed to ,“we felt it was the right time”.

Yeah I was vocally in favor of a black character in OW, expect them to start working on one now.

YOU wrote “Carefully crafted TO EXCLUDE RACIAL MINORITIES”.

You CAN’T separate that from intent, that is a full accusation of malicious intent, that is the entire crux of the statement and that is what I responded to.

TBF, DC actually has an extremely popular superheroine that’s on par with the male heroes. They also released Wonder Woman at a time where superhero films were a safe bet.

Until Avengers 1 landed, the whole Marvel thing was a crazy experiment that needed to hinge on the big hitters, and they still faced doubt after the fact when introducing nobodies like the Guardians.

Again: Do you think the inclusion or exclusion of any given demographic in a game is controllable or uncontrollable?

super hero movies always did well, they just had more garbage ones for a period of time compared to good ones.

DC’s fatal flaw was trying to dive into the deep end before slowing starting from the 3ft end of the pool. We’ve had a superman batman movie every Decade. Marvel actually built franchises with each movie they released. With Dc releasing garbage like BvS, Suicide Squad, and man of steel being debatable. Wonder woman make or break for them.

Before Iron Man, the superhero genre was kind of Z-tier trash. Yeah, you had the Christopher Reeves Superman films and the Clooney Batman films. But the other attempts like Daredevil and off-brand superhero films like Blankman were relegated to the junk pile. Iron Man, by conventional wisdom, should NOT have worked. Same with Thor 1 and Captain America: The First Avenger. These are kitschy cartoon characters.

I agree wholeheartedly. They wanted that Marvel pie without putting in the work Marvel did, which is insane to me because Marvel literally laid the path for success out in an easily-observable straight line. All they had to do was copy it.

It also doesn’t help that Snyder is a mediocre director. ><!!!

great minds think alike, i could not agree more.

So you didn’t read anything I wrote, did you?

I know I don’t but in terms of game design a political message ranks pretty low on the priority list (as it should).

Well yeah they’re not going to say “we don’t want this kind of feedback” could you imagine the backlash? There’s already backlash over simply not having a specific hero, the backlash from blizzard basically saying “we don’t care” would be enormous.

I don’t know what ads you saw for this game but I never saw any marketing of inclusion.

Yeah that also makes no sense. Wolfenstein is an over the top shooter, having a discussion of real life politics and ideologies in the forum’s of those games makes no sense at all.
Also I just wanna point out I never said “you shouldn’t discuss this” I just said complaining about it is stupid. If you just want to ask for a black female hero go ahead I’ll support it all day, but if you act like it’s something overwatch needs then it gets very annoying very quickly.

Well then explain how it’s somehow valid.
Just because an artist doesn’t spread a certain political message doesn’t mean there’s anything inherently wrong with the art itself.
See my world hunger example.

Sure, wanting, not complaining about a lack of it.

Education systems in a nutshell. All I remember from history class is hearing the word alamo on repeat for 2 hours.

Well have different opinions here but if you want to see things from my pov it’s like a company making less money because consumers didn’t like how little the color green was in the movie or game.
It’s an unnecessary detail that doesn’t need to be there.

Sure it is. A simple sentence of a character mentioning that it’s a problem will inject that idea in a person’s mind. Like those sad music “save a child with one penny” ads, it just refreshes the idea in a person’s mind since it’s an easy problem to forget when you’re not actively affected by it.
If 1 million people get reminded that world hunger is an issue it’s very likely that atleast some of them will decide to donate to a cause.

You didn’t address the kind of criticism I was referring to. The whole point of art is to either entertain or send a message, if an artist wants to send a message that’s not diversity is that a problem?
Do you think it’s an issue that the game dead rising doesn’t have a black female hero in it?
If you do think it’s an issue then should literally every piece of media have to have atleast one black female hero?
If you don’t think it’s an issue that dead rising doesn’t send a specific political message then we agree.

One more time for funnsies, if an artist wants to make a piece of art with no deeper meaning or political message they should be allowed to without being pressured to add one. Or if an artist does send a message but it isn’t about diversity that should be fine to.

I’m not trying to take away their right to say something on social media. All I’m saying is they shouldn’t be taken seriously. Or at least they should be taken just as seriously as someone saying “this film didn’t mention world hunger and that’s a flaw”.
My opinion is that complaining about this is stupid, not that it shouldn’t be allowed.
But I do wish people would back off of artists and stop breathing over their shoulder whispering “you should make that character black and female, oh your adding another white guy? No make it (insert blah blah) or we’ll complain and sells will tank”
People really do go as far as suggesting a boycott and that’s ridiculous, artistic freedom should be more valued today than it is.

To be honest though I don’t think either of us is going to get anywhere, we may just have to agree to disagree.
In my opinion diversity is (while nice) not a necessary thing in art and should be viewed as such.
And people who complain and moan about the lack of (insert whatever ridiculously specific identify you can think of here) are just hurting artistic freedom and trying to make an artist send a message they didn’t want to send.

Obviously you have a different opinion but neither of us are particularly correct it’s mostly just a matter of opinion.

Edit: I forgot to ask a question.
Do you think diversity should be required?
Do you think the lack of diversity is a flaw in something?

Representation doesn’t matter. If you want to be bland and project yourself as a character, go play an RPG.

1 Like

The major thematic elements of the game do not rank low, nor should they, because that is how you have a coherent game design and continue to please customers. This is why they have an entire library of heroes predesigned just waiting for kits.

No, but they could be radio silent about it like many brands that aren’t including this kind of thing as part of their marketing.

They instead went out of their way to get attention on this issue, which has the no brainer consequence of receiving feedback on it. They write letters to gay teenagers, wear Rainbow flag pins to Blizzcon, talk about the importance of diversity, etc.

Blizzard is not facing blacklash because it comes up as a topic of discussion every now and then. There are no calls for boycotts, no consumers leaving over, no giant Twitter hashtags demanding anything, etc.

They discussed it length in many of their panels and to news sites prior to the launch of the game. You can see some of that stuff in Wyoming Myst’s thread. The press blitz they did to sell this game very much played that up. Many of the ads focused on hero design and lore rather than gameplay, as well.

Yeah, it does. Wolfenstein has a clear political message.

Oh please, that is a distinction without meaning. Discussion means that people should be able to talk negatively just as much as positively, or it isn’t even worth doing because free expression isn’t encouraged. Nobody is being stupid because they care about something you do not, and do so in a way that is honest to how they feel without regard to whether or not you personally feel annoyed.

If you are annoyed, that’s a you problem.

Your world hunger example is poor because it requires an extensive altering of the game’s message. Changing the skin color of someone whose race has no bearing on them as a character does not.

And you have had numerous explanations of why representation is important and why people care about it. All of them are backed by academic studies and research, as well as history.

There is absolutely nothing invalid about complaining on a forum that is designed in part to understand customer complaints. What is invalid is going to a place designed for that kind of feedback and complaining that people are giving out complaints that don’t suit your personal worldview.

It does need to be there, on the aggregate level. And you have been given many reasons why. If you feel it’s the same as that, then you clearly haven’t been trying to understand why it would matter to someone. Because if you did, you’d understand why it’s a big deal to some people even if you disagreed with them.

This would require altering scenes. Or a character’s personality. That isn’t true of representation. Soldier 76’s reveal is a good example. Literally nothing about that scene needs changes if Vincent was Valerie. Nothing.

No. They should be prepared for any and all criticism, and it comes with making art for the masses. If they want to speak to the public, the public gets to speak back. That is how the free exchange of ideas work and it is integral to good art.

Artists know that, and are free to choose what they agree with and what they do not. If the public is tired of seeing something, that’s good for an artist trying to make money to know before the project fails due to lack of consumer interest.

No.
Yes. And for numerous reasons: psychological (backed by research), economic (job opportunities for poc) and social (backed by sociologists). It isn’t a flaw for every work, and it isn’t a flaw to not include everyone, everytime. But the media as a whole should better reflect the world we live in.

1 Like

Every piece of triple A or blockbuster media is specifically designed to appeal as broadly as possible to generate as much revenue as feasible.

That is just a simple fact, it’s just business.

Which means that whether you want it or not, a Black Female character is coming.

I for one simply hope she’s fun to play to be honest, I believe that instantly relating to a character simply for sharing your skin color is a ridiculous idea but both sides of this argument disagree with me and my radical notion of valuing the character traits, backstory, feelings and all that actually makes the character.

On one hand you have the people who claim “A black/asian/LGBT character exists without a reason” to whom if you need to explain why that is wrong and dumb, at this point would be like trying to teach a tiger not to have stripes.

And on the other hand, you have people who want to make Triple A and Blockbuster media even more of a soulless cashgrab and eliminate the traces of artistic integrity it may have.

I’d love to see a new Character, I’m just more excited about her/his gameplay and role rather than her/his skin color :slight_smile: