That thing called "Group up!"

So, your team is going one way, and one way only, running face first into snipers or basically any damage. You spam “group up!” over and over again to tell your team to go the other way, you even type it in chat. Yet no one listens.

Tell me: what do you do when you hear someone saying that you should group up?

1. Are you a dare devil and ignore it?
  2. Do you group up?
  3. Do you have it disabled?

I’m trying to understand the logic behind going the same way and getting mowed down.

This isn’t even rank related, because I see this happening often in GM/T500 as well. The fact these players rush into a Bastion is beyond comprehension. And these people are in voice too, but still don’t group up.

Edit: please read the posts below for clarifying.

4 Likes

Instructions were not clear. I was grouped with everyone else… rushing the bastion.

3 Likes

If it’s comp, then most people use voice and respond to chat, so I usually use that as a way to strategize. If people tell me to group up I say “understood” and I group up, or I am one of those people spamming group up or asking people to go a different way.

QP is quite different though. It depends on how I feel tbh. I might emote until a few people come around. But most people in QP don’t respond to strategy because they want to do their own thing (not saying it’s bad necessarily, most games that happen that way for me end really fast anyway.)

4 Likes

I usually look at the mark above from someone who say “group up”. Fly towards him. But on the opposite, if I “group up”, they do not do the same unless one or two heed.

Are they human or AI?

My absolute favorite lack of game sense is when 4 players are standing outside of space waiting for the last two to respawn. The fifth player runs right by the 4 and attempts to 1v6 the enemy.

11 Likes

sounds like you should be grouping up with them, if they’re all together except for you.

“Remember, look good for the bot’s PotG!”

I think not. I rather avoid being sniped over and over.

3 Likes

so your team should just always do what you say? Okay friend.

nyx has a point, I had a game as well on Busan, every time they took mid. It got to the point where both me and the second healer were begging people to go a different route, just to try it out. So it’s not really about doing what we say only, it’s about strategizing until something works.

4 Likes

That’s not my point. But sure.

you want them to follow you or ‘group up’ when you’re the one not grouping up with them. :woman_shrugging:

Wording might be off but in a simple sense that comes off as selfish.

Begging my team to try a different route isn’t being selfish. But I mean, if you rather not group up and prefer scattering all across the one side of the map you’re dying to, sure, why not.

At a certain point it takes common sense.

5 Likes

For me it’s always like this. 2v6 on point, while I’m just respawning or walking from spawn to point asking for “Group up” (as in fall back, reset/regroup). I see the red crosses appear. The 2v6ers asking for heals but out of LoS. The other 3 are just respawning. The 2v6 die. Me retreating to join the 3 that just respawned. 1 or 2 of the 3 going to 2v6 on point, and so forth.

1 Like

you mean if you dont want to group up?

back on that “them not me” wagon I see :wink:

sometimes you could be wrong too, just saying.

Oof I had a lot of fun with this one last night.

One game had someone complaining that we weren’t grouped up… when they were the one who ran off on their own and died. Then of course, trying to be a decent teammate I agreed to go with their plan next, so we get ready, go in and… they go off on their own again, in a completely different direction from what we literally agreed upon. Then of course they flame the rest of us for, ya know, going how we said we would. Fun times.

The very next game, it got to the point where I was trying to tell my team numerous times to stop running straight at the Bastion. They kept taking turns running down the exact same path straight up to him for, I kid you not, a solid 4 minutes straight.

Like just… why?

3 Likes

If your teammates have tried and failed the exact same thing 10 times in a row, I don’t think you’re the one in the wrong to want to at least try something different.

3 Likes

Yeah, as the sole survivor taking the other route, while I watch my team die one by one because they’re far apart from each other, not all being healed. And the only person standing behind a shield is the Zenyatta.

I assume you’re the anti-group’upper kind.

1 Like

My favorite its getting queued into a team with a 4 or 5 stack and yet somehow we’re still an uncoordinated mess, with 4 of them going 3 different ways, playing Winston/D.Va but never diving to the same place or at the same time, etc.

Like, why did you group up if you’re not even going to communicate with each other?

1 Like

and yet in this case its OP that off on their own :woman_shrugging:

for context what hero/role are you in this scenario?

if tank, you’re 100% the problem.
if healer you’re not 100% but it’s a high %.

my point is you being off solo while your team is already grouped together is the issue lol.