Team Average MMR, becoming the "higher MMR" on the team?

I just pick up on patterns of what I saw.

When I was tanking near high silver, every other game I was the only silver and everyone else was gold (enemy team had only one silver), then the next game everyone was silver. This happen until I got to gold. Then I was the only gold everyone else silver.

I would joke to myself (gold vs gold). And now sometimes it’s plat switches with silver. But if I lose too much then it’s silver switches with gold.

Then I would think it’s tournament style cause the people who were the “higher ups” or “lower downs” are on the other side when I play the next game.

Every other game.

Not trying to convince anyone but trying to see if anyone else notices patterns like have. Because even with random people I thought it odd the my place in the mmr pecking order was not.

No, its completely random based on my observations. You can be lowest mmr guy one game and highest next one.

2 Likes

I think that is mostly due to the 1k SR difference that is allowed to be put together in a match.

When I was at 1970, I had Silver, Gold and Bronze players in a match. When I was at 2005, I had Golds and Silvers, etc. The closer you are to a certain rank (whether a higher or a lower one) you start seeing more and more of those at that rank plus those who are in your current rank. It has been like that since forever.

I had Plat, Gold and Bronze on my team as well as on the enemy team but that it because they were grouped up.

1 Like

4 times out of 5, I had the highest on my team. Got tired of the sloggy grind, so stopped playing comp. Feels good.

Competitive gaming isn’t for everyone

1 Like

I think OW competitive gaming isnt for everyone

Some people can figure it out, others can’t. There’s nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Certainly not, if you make a puzzle.

If you make a game thats part of a business it may not be sustainable and weird things start happening. Player base will dwindle down, multiple accounts maybe created outside the creators intentions, in the sequel you might have to drop an entire character role… yea it not everyone can figure out, I think you want “enough” people to figure something out.

I measure that on the first thing introduced, replay the tutorial and compare that with current game and see if that “helps” how to play. You might see a “couple” of knowledge gaps.

And then throw in this system that swears it perfect, a community site that may or may not actually talk to the developers of the game. An attitude of not pivoting (season 1 vs Season 2-28), lack of content for a span of time, a focus on team stacking, a focus on OWL instead of playerbase.

Oh yea the Game Director might leave under weird circumstances… yea stuff like that.

• aww man sometimes I do wonder why I still play this game… lol it IS the puzzle that keeps me going.
1 Like

The matchmaker is too lenient and will try to adjust out bad play from smurf activity for around 4 games then makes adjustments to MMR and SR in larger swings after such times, becoming “volatile MMR”. After 3 or 4 games you seem to be boosted or dropped into the next “tier” of play, I’ve noticed.

So… kinda. It’s a way to “weed out” smurfs and limit good/bad days.

I have a feeling that Mike Morhime just offered to pay him more. It seems to be what is happening with his new company - just poaching talent.

2 Likes

Like what is your gain with these topics?

I saw you posting 2-3 different topics in less of an hour. All of those topic +/- talk about the same thing.

I am not trying to be a hater nor am I trying to diss any of the topics you made. If you feel like I am being a hater than I truly do apologize. It is honestly not my intention.

But then again I gotta ask. You have 4 or even 5 different topics and one that you replied to after 9 days of posting it and since no one actually replied to it, you bumped it up. There are some issues you clearly want to talk about, but since no one is actually replying to you, you either bump the old topic or create a new with the same meaning but different words.

What is it really that you are trying to convey here? Those MMR/SR topics you keep posting seem like a diversion topics, you trying to bait people to agree with the same fact that some of the other ppl here are talking about, how the System is against you.

Why don’t you come out and post about the things you really want to post about? All of these topics are hilarious in a sense how you, very badly, try to conceal what you really want to say. Just because some of the people you agree with have gotten s* talked by talking about the same thing that you want to talk about oh so badly, does not mean that you will get s* talked as well.

All this “me trying to be nice while at the same time trying to point out the things I consider to be wrong in this game” is not fooling anyone at this point.

Just because you agree with Receipts but are not trying to be like him to avoid the public flaming does not mean you should not be allowed to say the same things he is saying.

Spare us all from your hilarious MMR/SR topics and stop considering everyone else on here to be stupid and just say what you really want to say.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t over think it. And trust I’m running out of questions, starting to form concrete conclusions on how to rank up outside of vods (which I still do and appreciate - but I know the grind is too real). I do vods on what I feel is a plateau, or maybe new char I picked up.

Sometimes… I ask different aspects and the thread gets hijacked (much like this one!) And instead of staying on topic I feel a new thread asking a different question, evolved question is needed. Also people don’t read and usually by the time you get so far down someone just writes to the first point or to the off topic.

Ultimately I am figuring out the only way to rank up. Every time coach mills says heeeeellllloooo everybody it just makes me want to ask more questions to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Starting to feel gameleap is cool but with actually looking into the mmr/sr system it’s only scratching the surface.

Hope this answers your question in my thread. I do think the game is rigged - and I think we all agree it is, however I believe it’s still possible to climb - but not by “getting good, and vod reviews to GM. ”. It’s knowing the system you’re in, it’s the game playing you - but I’m not in Russia.

One last point as to why I make “these” posts. Its to show representation of patterns I feel. BECAUSE there is one more aspect that really annoys me about OW vs other blizz games is the lack of direct developer communication.

If some white knights are not developers then I dont know who are. But to just let the “white knights” push a flawed product without some feed back I think would be unrealistic. So yea I try to figure out how many people feel team mmr vs role averaged mmr. Or How often do you feel like your the carry.

I see one pro for devs hiding is that they can be snarky and mean without Blizz punishing. However a con comes off as “all knowing” and just as speculative. Lets use Zax as an example, who said team average vs group average would increase queue times. I have no clue, nor care if Zax is actually a developer. But to say it would is almost ignorant without actually knowing. And then to challenge how would you expose to everyone… well A/B testing is how the industry does it… Maybe I just enlighten the developers (They’re human too - I am one for another company!).

So I ask these questions to reveal cracks in the system that I want to know more or doesnt feel right and get a litmus or to help me rank up.

Definitely this was my experience.

And using “my” own observations, is how I made up ground in my climb.

1 Like

It would increase queue times substantially just by virtue of how matchmaking is handled for groups. If comp no longer had groups then the matchmaker wouldn’t put, say, a gold player in a bronze game - there would be no need for role specific matchmaking.

However, grouping with friends seems to be highly valued by the development team and if you had ONE single person who groups with you then the queue time would increase dramatically. The matchmaker would need to match that group size as well as find an exact match for the enemy then balance the games MMR across the board. That would take at least several more minutes to accomplish.

1 Like

Yea I read this awhile ago and its resonating. I even made a post about it.

By adding value to bypassing their own system maybe on principle doesnt seem to sit with me. Call me a Recipt on that one. If you offer two products and say if you bypass one our products to enjoy the other one even better… thats beyond bad business.

Also as a developer, just saying it will do X “I simply cant do it”. That also doesnt sit with me as I got my masters in algorithm analysis. Any system dealing in fuzzy logic - adjustable thresholds - no algorithm is NP or even bad - they could say we implemented it but if you wait long enough it will throw it away is better than we cant.

Lastly, I DID duo with a good friend - and no I am not GM, and for me to hold my own in Plat solo until the system “flipped” I feel I can be in an elo where people have better game sense.

So yea the MBA in me is screaming and the developer in me is sad.

Mean while as a solo queue should I just give up hope then?

No, you can advance in solo queue. It may not be as easy but you can do it.

1 Like

Then alas - I may have more questions but no worries, the MMR/SR is bit exhausted and I know the team thing is a “way around it”, but knowing the system cant be too bad?

Also as solo queuing, I like a challenge, maybe thats why I am addicted and keep playing.

Most questions can be answered here:

and for things not covered there I’m always willing to talk about the matchmaker. I’ve done quite a bit of testing on Overwatch over the years from MM documentation, when the game didn’t have private profiles, to the punishment systems.

I encourage you to read as much as you can about it but please don’t take Cuthbert or Receipts seriously. Their fanatical devotion to “the matchmaker is holding you back” is ludicrous, at best.

3 Likes

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT

I’m so sorry - I like algorithms and part of this whole thing was to figure it out and ultimately any algo is based on math.

So MMR is from -3 to 3 in std of .5. Thats 7 spots, -3,-2.5,-2…3

SR is from a range of 0-5000

Divide 5000 with 7 and you get MMR / SR thresholds increments of 417.

Coincidently @500 SR and 2500 SR.

So if your SR is around these bands and lets say your the “low” MMR, you will see folks in the higher MMR. So I was always struggled around 1700 and 1900, coincidently that’s 1667 and 2083 is -1 MMR to -0.5 MMR.

I think there has to be a factor on top of that where you will constantly be a MMR high, vs an MMR low. and depending on your rank the “average” MMR band will reflect in the SRs you see.

At this point if your with a group or solo queue’rs I dont know how it figures it out (maybe time on fire…(who knows?!)), but it does. For example while in bronze near 1400, next notch is not till 1663. I’m usually the “lower” MMR person and get more silvers (even tho its possible to play all bronze but I NEVER see that) Or golds if I am near 1600 - but until I cross 1700 I get more bronze than gold.

Anyhow, again a little excited so excuse my writing style - I hope this makes sense. I dont write I talk. This helps me make sense of it and it was so damn simple. Enjoy free math.

How did you come to that? Why there should be only 7 stages? Sorry dont doesnt match my climbing and SR gain/loss experience. I think it doesnt.

I think MMR is basicly accurate number as SR, but invisible.

I am on mobile now so i cant check my data from many games I played. I will when i get home if i will notice something around that SR milestone.

2 Likes