Tank mains: What do you want?

I want TTK to not be this:

Now if dying in the space of time bigger than a blink is too much to ask, I’ll just stay with Apex.

5 Likes

Tanks are notoriously hard to balance in other pvp games too though. If they’re too defense oriented, their damage is so low that dps can just ignore them to focus on supports, if they’re too aggro, they become better dualists than dps. If they’re too utility oriented, their either too niche, or people complain about their cc.

I am not a tank main, but I play every role.

CC has never bothered me overmuch cuz I saw it as the role of the tank to absorb that stuff. What’s relevant is “am I alive when all the cooldowns are done?”. As Overwatch has matured the answer to that question is frequently No.

So what I want as a tank is to tank. I want to protect my team and deal conditional damage when appropriate.

2 Likes

I think they should reduce storm arrows down to 3 and give his primary better speed. Or make it so they can’t headshot.

Yeah, but instead we get Storm Arrow buffed in January, so you’ll see how doubtful one can be of the devs.

1 Like

I want four things:

1. For Reinhardt to not be mandatory every single match.

2. To not be forced to play specific tanks depending on the team composition/to not have to rely so heavily on the rest of the team to get a thing done/be effective.

3. to not be blown up in less than a second. Tank hitboxes are huge, and a 2 second Defense Matrix isn’t going to cut it when there’s no second tank.

4. for tanks gameplay to be less clunky and have better flow.

2 Likes

I want

Mauga

we want to not be so reliant on our teamates to do ANYTHING
and for damage to be lowered so we don’t get melted when we peak any corner

1 Like

Wasn’t much better as a Prot Warrior in full T6 during BC.

1 Like

I’ll say some of this, no problem. Never dying would be the dream, but most tanks are way more realistic than that, because it’s a sad, often thankless job where it’s very difficult for some players to see our value (similar, but not identical to support).

I have absolutely zero problems sacrificing my life on tank for a high impact teammate/play, the point, or the win condition. If I get exploded by 6 enemies every time I dive a Widow (or whatever, really) that is mashing our team, but I kill her every time and we get to progress, I’m fine with that.

I love tank synergies (aka teamwork) or being able to share in space making/damage reduction/enforcing with a tank partner, but I can’t tell you how many times I have to go Hog because either I’m not getting the support I need, the other tank makes it impossible to work with, or the DPS are pulling all the heal resources with bad positioning (not earning value kills, and our team is suffering for it).

But the game isn’t moving in that direction. In 5v5, what I want is for no DPS to be able to 1v1 a solo tank unless there is a disgusting skill gap (tangentially I’d want OWL on a separate balance patch outside the game, and I’ve wanted that since Day 1), or it takes longer than a Moira 1v1. I don’t care if I get to kill that DPS at the end of the duel or not, but I want backup to come for someone before it’s realistically feasible for that duel to be over (effectively tanking their time/impact). That’s the kind of staying power I’d want a tank to have. If that’s unavailable/untenable, I want to be able to make huge, game-changing plays by either protecting teammates, or denying impactful enemy plays. I don’t need both. Currently, it’s very often that supports are the ones that deny huge enemy plays.

Tanks don’t require immortality or to be so impactful nobody else can do/kill anything, but we do need to be able to exist long enough to set up our team. I get that nobody wants to shoot a barrier all day. If it helps, the tanks I find most engaging are Ball, Zarya, Winston, and Hog (I wish we had more options like 2 years ago at this point, but w/e). All of these tanks can do a bit on their own but they have powerful teamplay options.

Does this help explain/make sense?

1 Like

but this, unironically

That already can’t happen in 6v6 and will not happen at all in 5v5. You already can’t beat a full charge Zarya as a dps. How can you hope to do anything when she also now has two bubbles and is being hard pocketed by 2 supports lol

Oh I guarantee you that it does. Zarya requires multiple (stupid) damage sources to hit full charge, and many of the DPS are tankbusters, some even at long range. A Reaper can jump a (solo) full charge Zar with little threat to him, even eat through a personal. Widow can also 2-tap her in 1.4s and tank headboxes are stupid large for no reason.

I guess it’s fine you hate fullcharge Zarya but I wrote a whole-rass novel, there’s some great things to think about and respond to in there if I do say so myself!

On the contrary. I love full charge Zarya because she’s my most played tank :rofl: . But I remember when Rein/Zarya was the must pick comp a few months back and everyone here kept complaining about how strong her dmg is. I thought she was fine. Nothing wrong with a tank doing lots of dmg imo.

That’s simply because tank mains want everything.

As a main tank player, my fantasy list goes like this:

1. 5v5 to get rid of my useless, non-supportive offtank who’s only there to farm tickets and frag out.

2. Supports who aren’t busy pocketing their DPS friend exclusively, especially if they’re not winning team fights.

3. Teammates who advance when I do and back up when I call, or even be listening to comms period.

4. Never to hear “w3 nEEd a Sh!3lD” ever again.

…who am I kidding? This is the Overwatch community. At this point all you can hope for is that Geoff doesn’t go on a bender and delete half the heroes in tank.

Do supports not count as “real players” in your world?

If you pick a fight with a Zarya getting pocketed by 2 supports, that’s a 1v3 matchup.

Trying to go lone-wolf and fight literally half the enemy team on your own is always going to end badly, no matter who the heroes involved are.

4 Likes

Yeah I felt the need to inject a bit of reality into the situation. 1v1 situations are pretty rare especially with tanks since they usually have a support glued to their side.

More tanks like D.Va/Hammond/Winston/Roadhog. I can’t wait to see how Mauga plays.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/ab/f5/03abf5b17bac0fa82761929ad19ccc61.jpg https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/upload/c_fill,w_912,h_516,f_auto,q_auto,g_auto/shape/cover/sport/5ad769afc461220627000006.png

I think having a similar kit to the heavy assault units would be a nice tank/brawler.

Because these are the forums. Everyone is as mad as ever on the forums. This is the part of the community that is impossible to please and it’s far from just tank mains.

I’ve been a tank main since season 3 and I love what they’re doing with overwatch 2. I have no complaints as long as they buff tanks enough to make up for the loss of 2nd tank, and I’m not gonna lose my mind because it’s not perfectly balanced 8 months before launch.

1 Like