Syms balance from a high level sym main and how to fix her

This is such a great breakdown of her current state. Well done. You’ve mirrored so many of my own concerns and it’s great to know that they’re shared by someone on the opposite end of the rank spectrum from me. Because they’re such great points, I’m going to highlight the big ones I’ve reiterated countless times myself:

I do differ slightly on how she should be fixed, but this is neither here nor there. Take all my support and likes.

1 Like

Please not. The Sym haters overweight the sym lovers by far. So they would just vote for the worst possible solution.

1 Like

Just revert her to old Sym speed up her orbs a little and give her the turret throwing ability.

Perfect Sym.

2 Likes

I think the problem is that, while massively changing her tools, they didn’t depart enough from the design philosophy they used to reach Sym 1.0 and 2.0, so they ended up with a hero that has mostly the same problems just with a different kit.

• They kept her high reliance on allies to have any value.

• They kept the fact that much of her kit is gimped to make her feel less “cheesy”, even after removing a lot of the cheese elements

• They still didn’t fully commit to her range so her kit still pulls her in too many directions without excelling in either of them - “fake” flexibility that really just makes her overly rigid

I still can’t fathom why, when changing so much of her kit, they couldn’t commit to changing the one thing that needed changing most, in order to keep a semblance of her old personality - the stupid damage ramp mechanic. This is the one thing that probably no Sym player wants to hold onto. Why was that the one thing left untouched? It’s not like it even exists to make her beam balanced, giving it a steep tracking aim requirement handled that.

4 Likes

We need to continue the campaign. I was there when we all rallied behind Jaleezy’s megathread but sadly they are no longer with us on the forums

Sym mains need to unite once again and voice our frustration because it clearly isn’t getting through to the devs

4 Likes

yeah, well, there is that side to it…

I like to imagine there’s one wee dev who is testing stuff for Sym and every week is like “guys, let’s give her the lock-on back” and everyone else is like, “nah”

1 Like

Sorry again I killed the second coming of that thread… I do still talk about Sym every now and then. I do love her and want her to be better.

I’m still here on the forums, just less active for numerous reasons. life stuff, other games, etc etc

I completely understand. I took a break myself. But I remember those days. I was basically one of the founders because of how often I kept it alive

We were at our strongest then. We were too hard to ignore and within a few months we got word of a sym rework

Sadly that rework has barely fixed the issue but we are a shell of our former unity and we need to talk about sym while she is still somewhat fresh in the communities mind

1 Like

I think her TP should stay up until destroyed or until she places another one. At this point it’s the only deployable left in the game that has a timer to use it (translocator, Torbjörn turret, Syms turrets). I don’t think this would be OP, because the enemy team can still just destroy it, but it gives more wriggle room for teammates to use

3 Likes

Her 2 bad points is her vulnerability/lack of mobility and how long it takes to charge the beam.

Dunno how to fix the vulnerability point (shield/HP drain, flat 50 shield/HP more, shield bonus at hit a la doomfist), but a 20-25% decrease on ramp up time would be nice.
Also maybe back to 100 ammos. Sure shields give ammos back, but once destroyed it drains so fast.
Piercing primary wouldn’t be bad too.

1 Like

yo 1v1 me on xbox fam

Then it would just be a bad version of her old ult…

I think her vulnerability is tied to how bad her primary is

If her primary fire was actually good then maybe flankers would think twice before going after her

Maybe you could actually defend yourself against a genji because your primary can hit him through deflect

The issue is it’s so bad that using it is even worse then trying to hit him with the orbs

1 Like

I didnt even realise thos wow. I think its kinda unfair that tp is the only deployable ability that has a timer now

Thats just dumb

1 Like

Not to mention that the teleporter can randomly kill itself…

I hate that this hasnt been fixed

Like seriously come on

1 Like

On the bright side her TP Bomb was stealth buffed. TP will almost always teleport a stack of turrets now, and has seemed to destroy itself much less than a week or two ago.

2 Likes

I honestly think the only changes she needs are the ones OP recommended.

Increase base damage + tick rate, decrease TP deploy time, and 50 more shields.

She would instantly feel so much better. Maybe some fine-tuning to how her TP placement interacts with railings, but that is a minor gripe that would just be for QoL.

1 Like

I would state that a QoL change that would work best for this, is that if the teleporter is destroyed instantly after being deployed, the timer be refunded and allowed for immediate placement again.

This way, the only thing lost is the time dedicated to placing it initially, and not the ability itself.

3 Likes

This would be very much appreciated. I do feel as though the random TP destruction is happening less frequently than it used to.