Symmetra Suggestions - Defining her place as anti-barrier

It damaged the barrier when it pierced it during 1.0 and 2.0. Same way melee attacks hurt both the barrier and the people behind it.

what a great post, i love these ideas!

the 2 things i kinda disagree with is the turret changes and that sym is an anti- shield.

to me the turrets will seem weaker than on live. while 7 seconds is a very long time, a change like this punishes placing turrets in anticipation and encourages people to hold on to them to get max value. placing 3 together is going to be a big no and im sure people that get ambushed by them will appreciate the reduced damage. the 2 second reduction would be nice on live turrets but i think the 10 seconds would be fine in this rework

to consider sym as an anti-barrier hero she would need a few different changes. to me she is a hero like sombra, in the dps slot but unique. shields feed her but she is not good at breaking them, her range is too short (on live) and the damage is too low. i like that this rework adds piercing orbs and that the damage type changes when when it passes through a barrier, i think thats so cool!, but i think this change will cause sym to feed the healers on the enemy team.

ive been thinking that if sym is mainly fed by shields, she should be able to put that energy to good use outside of just her gun. letting her gain personal shields
the longer she leeches would be nice or if the shields she absorbs charges a resource meter, like old torb, and after a certain amount it would be used to power up one of her right click orbs - letting it pierce.

Have the devs confirmed this because imo she’s not. Her barrier destroying just enables her primary to be more effective in close quarters.

I think her kit is mainly designed around taking and holding space

the secondary fire is good, but removeing splash dmg would be a out of this world nerf

IKR, every time she takes one step forward she takes two steps back when it comes to 3.0! And with 2.0 they didn’t even TRY to buff or tweak her! What are the devs thinking when it comes to symmetra, it’s extremely annoying?

2 Likes

I liked when sym was able to use her secondary fire through barriers. I think that, along with the following changes should occur:
Teleporter now only lasts 8-10 seconds, and is on a 7 second cooldown that starts when TP is last destroyed.
Teleporter deploys and is usable almost instantly, or at least as fast as reaper teleport
No cool down on mobility through the teleporter
Turrets are now halved in damage, and slow does not stack (dunno if this is already the case, haven’t tested since the slow change)
70/110/140 damage ramp up primary fire
Double primary fire damage to barriers
(as stated before, secondary fire now goes through barriers again)

Symmetra feels really unrewarding to play. You leave your teleporter in a really passive location or from spawn, you treat your turrets like claymores in COD, and you hide behind your shields and get up to max charge and burn down the tanks. It’s a boring playstyle, and not skill based at all. Let sym’s teleporter be her mobility and let her have some fun while the things that everyone hates about playing against sym get eased up on.

this is from my post on a different thread a few weeks ago

I love this, I really hope someone at Blizzard sees this and at least gets some ideas to better enforce her Anti-barrier play style and really help her carve out her own niche.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really say carve out her own niche tbh. because from what I can see, sym rn is too niche in needing literal bastion tier pocketting to function

In my example, the splash damage is only removed when passing through a barrier. In all other ways, the secondary fire is normal.

This is similarly restrictive to old Sombra’s timer on translocator, being forced to leave the engagement with the enemy is an awful feeling and the infinite teleporter alleviates this, but the cooldown is the largest issue.

This would be incredibly powerful, an immediate, reactionary 30 metre escape is unprecedented in overwatch and I doubt a close range character like Symm would ever get this. It would be incredibly unfun to play against too, with the possibility of 6 enemies appearing next to you in 0.1 seconds.

This would mean that Symm can charge a secondary fire and during a fraction of a second, teleport, release secondary, teleport and take 0 damage, also not fun to play against.

This is a very extreme nerf to turrets, maxing them at 75 DPS and 20% speed reduction is not the way to go. Yes, a damage and speed stacking change could, but by a lesser degree.

This is quite low damage, a McCree headshot deals 140 damage by itself and his primary can fire 2.5 shots per second. While the starting 70 damage is nice, the scaling pattern makes the third level beam rather weak.

280 Barrier damage is very high against smaller barriers like Winston’s and this is why I didn’t suggest strickly doubling the damage, but another multiplier could work depending on the three-level damage scaling.

This is one of the largest problems with the infinite teleporter having the cooldown start on destruction, 100% uptime sounds great, but is never useful when the fight is always moving and strategies changing mid-match. Totally agree.

I know I’ve just gone through a lot of your suggestions and given my opinion, I don’t want to shut down other people’s ideas but I felt these just missed the mark for specific circumstances and I understand why you suggested each of them as they worked for some of her overall problems.

I do too, and even if they don’t use the ideas, hopefully it’s a basis for some of their own.

1 Like

why would you make tp temporary AND have a near nano long cd start from destruction when old 3.0 to was 10s duration and had its 12s cd start from cast? i.e the old 3.0 tp was better and wasn’t OP at all. why get a tp that’s worse?

2 Likes

and it’s not just the devs too. like I suspect people as so used to their hero being fine that any sort of change to a hero that actually needs a bit of help they think the hero needs to have some sort of compensation nerf because they think they were fine before. like no, that wasn’t the status quo and having a compensation nerf for a buff they needed isn’t going to have a net improvement in their balance.

Finally, a thread that isn’t just a list of increasingly more ridiculous balance changes.

These ones are reasonable :+1: I like em. gj OP

P.S: I wish we could have non-infinite TP back…

I never thought of her having a place as anti-barrier at high levels of play. Too easily punished, baited, exploited. Her laser is extremely tunnelish and telegraphed. Her laser was usually a late-stage/cleanup rather than a big engage or midfight carry. The fight had to be less hectic before she could realistically extract value from the max charge M1 laser. Otherwise it was a bit of a deterrent.

I typically thought of Symmetra as being a flanker/space support dps who projects utility/value to different areas of the map that isn’t direct damage, direct tanking, or direct dps carry. Sorta harassish and supportive, like a lighter more mobile zarya. Thats what she was always, drifting from support to utility dps (offcarry) role.

Nerf the laser and give us shorter tp cd (or shorter self cancel cd). Sym is now back to near 3.0 status, being less upfront oppressive and useful outside of shield meta.

I agree with the view that sym is more of a mobile area denier, but I don’t think the laser should be nerfed. defs give her low tp cd (like that’s just blatantly necessary) because she’s literally like as if the rework didn’t happen without tp being on demand to cast.

Like sym’s primary literally isn’t oppressive. like we have a whole year showing how it wasn’t oppressive and showing how niche it is. the only thing making it seem that way is double shields being played on both sides.

because now she’s using it as a movement ability, even if you need a small cooldown on tp usage it would be very minimal. She’s able to deploy it almost instantly and go through it and back on a very short cooldown. I just want her more skill based and that comes with cooldown management on her movement just like everyone else.

I don’t see how old 3.0 tp didn’t require cooldown management that you’re seeking tbh. like it wasn’t like it was instantly back when you place it down. having that extra clunkiness of guaranteed 7s or so without tp seems like extra punishment for no reason tbh esp when we know that old 3.0 tp worked fine and was balanced in terms of cd vs duration etc.

What her slash is so bad though. It’s barley noticeable

I’d take old piercing orbs any day