Symmetra should return back to the Support category

I 100% agree, symmetras team supports her then sym supports her team back, is that not what a support hero is?

1 Like

In my experience, the space she “owns” is the floor, with her corpse, as a host of other more capable characters roll over her like a speed bump in a parking lot.

Is that to say that’s the outcome consistently? No, but it does happen far more than I’d like. She’s too squishy to utilize her primary beam, her secondary orbs are just slow enough to not be a reliable source of damage to an aware opponent. Her turrets are easily dispatched by someone with any sense of situational awareness. Her teleporter is a shining beacon for where the enemy should direct their fire.

Yep, that’s exactly what a support hero should be. She assists her team in cementing kills. Her turrets slow them down, making them easier targets, as well as setting them up for precision one shot kills.

If only the healers on the team saw her as a valuable asset to be healed! (Or maybe they do, they just can’t react fast enough due to the squishy nature of Sym)

1 Like

I’ve made rework idea for a non-healing support symmetra at the bottom of this first post:

Here.

I usually don’t post links like these, but since people actually liked my idea non-healing supp might actually be possible.

Edit: can’t even link to correct post properly lol.

1 Like

Then my only suggestion I could give is to play her more. Like seriously I have over 1000 hours into Sym at this point and I can attest that the more you play her and really get a feel for her matchups against opponents and heroes at different skill levels, you get a feel for when/where you should do something risky or sneaky.

I disagree that her beam can’t be utilized (and the PTR buff is gr9), again, you just have to be choosy and 2.0 was even more choosy in this regard. One underestimated change to her beam is how particularly subtle her beam is when attacking a target. You hardly have any indication that Sym is attacking you, especially in the thick of things, while her old beam was extremely loud and you knew immediately Sym was on you.

Plus, you cannot forget that even at full charge, her beam is still sustained damage which is just by design worse in this game than burst damage. I agree her orbs aren’t reliable, but they weren’t reliable before which is why I practiced like hell to land those slow globs of Doom because of how necessary they were in order to win any 1v1. That translated over to 3.0, and I’m usually fairly accurate with them when I need to be. Are either of her methods of firing perfect? Not at all. But as I’ve said many times, her turrets existence gives room for her gun to be inconsistent and Torb is the same way.

I also agree her turrets are easily dispatched, at least by some heroes. Others are extremely susceptible to getting picked by them. Reapers for instance won’t realize the single turret on the floor is actually a turret bomb, and takes several shots to kill it while usually Wraithing away in a panic or dying. McCree and Widow are also very susceptible to them. Doom almost always dies if he finds himself in some turrets and doesn’t have his ult or has already used slam/punch.

Sym has always been a learning process and the only way you can learn and get a better feel for her is by failing miserably.

1 Like

Fixed so you don’t show up at post 78 :smiley:

1 Like

no, you weren’t

the turret placement, right-click aiming, positioning, and awareness needed are essentially the same

2 Likes

Are you serious? Her turret placement is nothing like old one, so is positioning. She turned from a second objective placing character to a spam damage dealer.

1 Like

You’re right. It can be exactly like the old mechanic but far more dynamic simply because Sym can unify her turrets damage.

Do you know what’s scarier than a six turret car wash? Three turrets stacked into a bush or palm tree, where as old Sym could only place one in these areas for a measly 30 dps.

3 Likes

Honestly, other than her primary fire, Symmetra is pretty fine. That being said, I do dislike the fact that we lost a support. :disappointed_relieved:

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.

I’d like to think 100+ hours is sufficient time to learn a character. I’ve been playing since Beta, but unfortunately I’m a working stiff with a family and priorities don’t allow for the time I’d like to invest.

Add in the fact that I’m “ancient” by most gamer standards, my twitch reflexes aren’t what they used to be.

That was one of the reasons I liked Symmetra as much as I did on the 2.0 iteration. She wasn’t nearly as twitch dependent as she is now. All the same situational awareness applies, but now you’ve got to have reflexes like a drug addled Capuchin monkey.

He is extremely good with her, though. My greatest regret is we will never see him play her in OWL.

Nope, when Symmetra was in support. People got confused and switched off a healer for no reason.

I agree she is more twitch dependent now, but like I said, I spent a lot of time practicing her old orbs so I was already used to her being somewhat twitch based. But back then you had to do massive flicks off in a random direction and get a ridiculous read on your opponent just to land it at like 10m away, so I adjusted to their new speed very quickly.

A huge complaint I see now is “Sym can’t defend herself at close range, nobody is scared of getting in her face.” But that’s user error. Her orbs are scariest at close range, because at that point they’re essentially dealing 150 dps if you’re melee’ing with them and very easy to land. You can make people be afraid to get close to you, all it really takes is reading enemy movement.

For example: If you read your (unaware) enemy is going to move right and land an orb due to the unawareness, there’s a solid chance that shooting another off to their left will be strafed directly into as they’re turning around in response to the damage.

This isn’t 100% accurate, but as I said, playing her a lot gives you a better feel for these reads even on aware opponents (which if someone’s aware of you, you should be firing around corners, pre-firing if you expect them to chase etc).

2 Likes

That feeling when Torbjorn 2.0, Soldier 76 and Sombra were better supports than Symmetra 2.0.

symmetra players were always spamming orbs in the backline and only used primary when needed unless they were fighting against bad players that let you walk up and microwave

turret placement is the exact same and all the placement spots you used before still work, and now you have even more spots to use since symmetra isn’t horribly limited anymore

Lol agreed. At least every iteration of Sym has been a better DPS than Sombra :yum:

1 Like

Funny, I don’t ever recall any of those characters saving the team from a Barrage, Self Destruct, Seismic Slam or Earth Shatter.

1 Like

Sombra does all those things.

1 Like

No, she just delays them.