Symmetra rework rant

Thank you for actually replying.

But isn’t her turrets and ult placement also part of Symmetra’s skill? If she place the turrets all around the place where you can’t find them all without being hit by another, isn’t that a testament of that Symmetra player… outplaying you?

If so, what makes that different than not seeing a Reaper on a side room, walking out and murdering your team from behind? Or a Widow that jumped from one perch to another, so that she can shoot from an angle your Orisa shield don’t cover?

If not, why not? The turrets don’t spontaneously sprout randomly around her, and good Syms rarely place turrets “at random”. Why trying to read the opponents intention and preparing the defense in advance is not just a different skill compared to “aiming”?

You HAVE to deal with a lot of stuff in OW if you want to succeed. If there is a Soldier in the high ground, you need to send someone to contest him there, or he will kill everyone with ease. If the enemy have a Widowmaker, you need to be aware of her sightlines full time, or risk being picked. If the enemy have a Mercy, you need to keep an eye to stun her if she tries to Rez anyone. And so on.

It’s kinda like the “we have to play around that hero” argument. That is not unique to off-meta players, or even Symmetra in specific. All the complaints about her also apply to at least half the cast, even some super meta heroes.

1 Like

I’ve never had an issue with that gap :confused: Moreso the cooldown

1. Increasing ult placement range won’t fix overall uselessness. Teleporter will be valuable only if your allies die. Shield gen isn’t that powerful, and both ultimates can be destroyed.
  2. Shape - maybe, speed - no. Core thing about Photon Barrier - it moves with same speed as normal hero movement speed
  3. So what? Shield gen is still trash.
  4. Actually - good, but not for “support” playstyle.
  5. Yes. This is one thing that will actually help her.
  6. Increase range and make her aim - actually good idea. Because of lock-on fire, it may be hard to focus one target from the crowd, because you will lock on other heroes.
  7. Yes.
  8. Good.

But this changes won’t make her good support. She doesn’t have any good role (or anything she can do better that other hero).

1 Like

Thanks for vocalizing this more eloquently than I could have lol.

Her Ults are a huge issue that hold her back.

ITT Symm scared that they have to aim. GOOD.

You’re totally missing the point of the rework. It’s not because omgshesop its because she needed a buff.

If syms beam bothers you so much, you need to reevaluate yourself. Either youre too bad to deal with it or youre some elitist who chose to walk into one of the most casual fps games out there lol.

Because they goal is to change the people’s perception towards her, not making her objectively viable.

Objectively, she is already viable. The presense of many Symmetra mains on GM that are getting reported is the evidence. They don’t just get there by luck. It’s just that many people simply don’t like her thus they are forced to change her.

If anything, it’s those bastards’ fault. They are not willing to cooperate and they do not respect that there are characters that play differently than what they have known before, nor they accept there are people who are good with her.

1 Like

0.00% pickrate in OWL. The best of the best, who could find purpose for torbjorn, pre-buffed mei, broken mei, never had a reason where symmetra was viable decision.

How is a wonky tp ok? How is a measly 75 shields as an ult ok? How is having a stationary destructible ult ok?

She’s “viable” in the sense that she isn’t literally broken. But she’s out shined by others.

It’s not some *&%^ing conspiracy! She’s objectively not good enough! Are these changes the ones that’ll help her? idk, but she needs fixing.

She is not picked in OWL because you could play other heroes with less efforts and less coordination.

In OWL where the goal is for the team to win with the least possible effort. She will not be picked.

But in GM where people could play their own favourite heroes, she is still picked and function.

2 Likes

none of your suggestions would do anything to fix symmetra and her inherit problem.

1 Like

Yup she is outshined. But she is viable.

How are these not ok ?

This is the only rework we need for sym.

For real though I’m excited for the rework.

Well, the teleporter is built in such away, with the charges mechanic, it can cause trickling. If the tp has one charge or 2 left, it’s too risky for a team mate to take it as they might just end up alone. And there’s currently no way of undoing your ult so youre stuck with an awkward ult that wont go away. Now, if there wasnt a cap on players you could teleport, it wouldnt be so bad.

For the shield gen… 75 shields? That was a great ability but as an ult? No. On top of that, its destructible?! Even worse. That’s too low impact and too under-powered to be an ult. 75 is nothing! Shields dont even have the advantage of armors ability to tank slightly more damage. Sure it regenerates, but at 3 seconds, during a fight it wont have enough time to regen. Sure its 75 extra hp in practice since its heal-able but that’s not good enough, not anymore at least. Not when heroes can burn through hp in a span of 2 seconds. It’s just not ult worthy. I’ve been screaming this since the first rework but everyone thought I was crazy. Some even had the gall to say “it’ll probably get toned down once it hits live” LOL funny how everything seems op at a first glance. Now shield gen, in practice, is meh.

I agree with you that many people over-estimated Shield generator’s effectiveness. But for the part of teleporter, I think it really depends on when do you use it. Time it right and you can bring back some of your teammates much faster in the fight.

And it is only a waste if none, or just 1 /2 of charges are used. Otherwise, bringing back at least half a team to the team fight is already a huge advantages for your team, even if it got destroyed early. Also, The enemy team has to put time to destroy it.

For the part that “teammates don’t know who should use the teleporter” it comes down to communication, and communication is the core of the game so I don’t think it is as such a big problem as you think.

But again like I said, she requires much more coordination and teamwork than other heroes. That’s why people are reluctant to use her and OWL doesn’t use her. Because you can put less team effort on other heroes to be useful, which is what you felt and expressed here. But that doesn’t mean she is not viable.

2 Likes

That’s not passive aggressive at all.

No matter how much we don’t like it, it’s coming anyway, Blizz can’t be reasoned with.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t make her a monster like Mercy was when this happened.

passive aggressive mercy is passive aggressive

No doubt you guys deserve to be this way, but jeez. that’s pretty sausy

Think of it this way: Every time Symmetra have her Shield generator active, and someone drops below 75 HP and lives, it was the Shield Gen that saved that life.

Now, how many times are people actively checking their health during a teamfight? Most of them trust their healers will keep them up, or rely on the “gasping” sound all heroes do when they drop below half HP. This means a lot of time, the contribution of shield generator is invisible to Symmetra teammates.

I agree that Shield Gen is not valuable against coordinated focused fire, or high burst damage ultimates (Tire, Barrage, etc). But then, neither is Coalescence or Valkyrie. In some cases, not even Transcendence. I mean, a NanoBlade can kill people inside a Transcendence with a single slash+dash combo.

I think its the opposite. The lack of teamwork on both sides of the match makes Sym kit much stronger. The more coordinated the enemy team is, more coordination is required on your own team to extract value from Symmetra’s kit. When it peaks, like in actual pro environments, the effort required to extract value from her kit outpaces her potential utility.

That’s, and the inherent hate a lot of pros have against Symmetra, why I honestly believe she will not see any OWL picks.

I’m actually hoping she will be, even for a while. And I’ll gladly take my turn in the eternal Blizzard Way of Balance©.

Oh c’mon, the game was terrible when Mercy was like that, but hey, I’ll take a super powerful Sym over all my kills being erased any day😂