Symmetra Rework Opinions from a Symmetra Main

Tp is a gap closer.

20 chars

True, guess I should have specified escapes or other mobility, self heals, blocks or temporary invulnerability. The TP doesn’t last long enough to be used to get away, Sombra’s translocator was considered too short at 15 seconds, so a destructible object that lasts ten isn’t really viable for that purpose.

I’m a symmetra main, and I’ve been banned from the game twice for playing symmetra. Even while winning games, and even when getting all the golds on my team. I’m not playing this game anymore until the automated report system/ban system based on popularity issue gets fixed, but that’s a whole other issue.

I’ve been playing Symmetra on the PTR just because I care about this particular issue, and I’m sure the other issue will get resolved sometime in the future.

Symmetra is in the same place she was before the rework, right now on the PTR, if not even a little bit worse off. About a week ago, she did Mega damage, and melted/destroyed everybody and everything in sight. Then she got mega nerfed on her damage, and now she’s little more than a DVA without her mech. Her range is garbage, and that’s the biggest problem. If Blizzard doesn’t want to give her some kind of a barrier or shield to protect herself with, or a viable escape option in the middle of a fight, or more health, then she needs to do Mega damage, to make up for her lack of survivability.

As it is right now though, she has — no survivability, garbage range, and her DPS is meh. And to the person who said she destroys brigette 1v1 right now, that’s the biggest lie I’ve read on here yet.

At least before the rework she had a shield generator to give herself +75 shields (and the entire team) and on top of that, she could jump around like a rabbit to make herself a more difficult target to hit, while dealing dmg with her lock on, AND she had a mobile barrier to advance into melee range without taking damage so she could even BEGIN dealing damage.

TBH, she’s in a worse place now than she was before the rework. And just to be clear, I’m all for taking away the autolock on her gun, because it was always an annoyance to me when it got stuck on winston shields, orisa shields, mei walls, even if they were friendly, like are you kidding me?

Anyway, I can only hope blizzard fixes these issues before they realize they just spent time and money reworking a hero that’s really broken now. Really broken. It was actually viable before as long as the player knew what they were doing with it.

5 Likes

You’re misunderstanding the point - it’s that she had more utility before, though it was spread thin. And that’s not really debatable at this point - like the nonsense with the loss of the photon barrier for that ult…

New Sym appears to be a compromise between Blizz’s desire to increase pickrate and community complaints about her being unfun to play against.

Not to mention people can see you placing it. It’s the equivalent of reaper’s shadow step. You wont catch anyone by surprise.

1 Like

You really think They’ll rework her a 4th time? RIP Symmetra. This is the end. The hero that exists in the game, but will never be played by anyone but real trolls, or people in bronze/silver— Until the hero just gets deleted entirely.

RIP.

2 Likes

Symmetra still says “My teleporter is online” while using it, just so everyone could hear it.

2 Likes

The trick in staying alive with Symmetra was possible because people have to aim to kill her and she dont, now she cant dodge nothing when killing something, because she has to aim too, can you not keep this beam, it doesnt have to be a lock on beam either a line beam, just give her a projectile fire, is more forgiving than tracking like a Tracer god.

1 Like

I want to know the people who discriminate against her,they play sym one times?
and how many players use it over 300hr?
now a version of her is for high IQ players, u must think how to setup the sentry turret trap help ur team effective defense,and give the team which kind of the ULT to win,how to place the ULT let the enemy can’t easy to find it,at last u must think how to use her beneficial factors to kill all kind of the heroes.
that is why the sym is not a only kill kill kill hero,and she isn’t for most players,she must think more than the other heroes.and i like this think more hero.

She needs more hp. Like 100health+150shield.

Also her turrets are awful. They cost to much for such a little value. 3 new turrets deal less damage and slow than 6 old turrets. They fly too slowly, they can be easily destroyed mid air and 10 sec of CD per turret is too much because it takes awful 30 seconds to re-setup all turrets.

And her ultimate barrier should not have limited time and health at the same time. It should have limited time with infinite HP, or unlimited time with limited HP.

Teleport should be also faster.

So in the end only new alt-fire balls are completely fine and fun to use.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s also so your team-mates know you’ve used it. It’s remarkably easy to miss that in your typical Quick Play. The point of the Teleporter, I think, is to reposition your team more so than just repositioning yourself, so it pays to announce it.

That said, the Teleporter needs to last at least double what it does now. Let it stick around for at least 20 seconds so people can use it to move back-and-forth, rather than just once to cover distance. A longer Teleporter duration means there’s actually a point in attacking it AND it means Symmetra can set it up as an Escape for herself, similar to Sombra’s Translocator.

I think that this is the precipice of the argument. With the bug, she was able to melt people very quickly and dealt around the same amount of damage of a soldier consistently hitting headshots at close range, which is a lot of damage. But that’s what you’d expect from a hero that has no way to defend themselves effectively - the TP doesn’t really do that and expecting a hero to pop their ult to protect themselves is ridiculous.

She shouldn’t have a health increase but should definitely be rewarded for doing damage with her primary fire. Barrier, that’s the key.

Wait, Doomfist-like barrier for dealing damage with the primary fire? I like that, actually. Would have to be careful, though - she can do a LOT of damage, so we need to tread carefully about making her tougher. What numbers do you have in mind?

I previously mentioned 5 per tick but that’s really insane, so probably 2 per tick, four ticks per second, maximum +100, so that’s 100 HP, 100 Shields, 100 decaying barrier after 12.5 seconds of continuous fire.

That at least would give her a way to effectively disengage and not make her reliant on a pocket Mercy and a barrier tank moving with her into positions at all times, that is granted, much easier considering the TP but still impractical.

Now, that being said, it’ll never be ANYTHING like the power of the Photon Barrier, which will be missed dearly. It’s truly a shame, really. They could’ve gone the compression route and stuck it in the same keypress as the turrets, like Moira Ball, still giving Sym a defensive option (though costly it would be).

That being said, in her new erratum, a passive that grants shield would probably fix all the problems she has.

I do hope that we get a dev. comment aside from an uber-condescending though well-intended post :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice joke! Though I am sure they realize she needs more built-in survivability.

op are you me ? great post hope they’ll read it.

Oh, yeah, the answer to that is yes :stuck_out_tongue:

Are we sure she still does 4 ticks per second, though? I thought her rate of fire was massively increased while her damage per tick massively decreased. I say this, because people are complaining about Symmetra losing half her damage to armour.

Either way, let’s go with your numbers of 8 Barrier per second of continuous Primary Fire, up to 100 Barrier. How do we handle barrier deacay? Doomfist loses 3 barrier per second, but that might not be a good fit for Symmetra. All of Doomfist’s barrier-generating skills are discrete, so it makes sense for his barrier to decay constantly - he doesn’t have a very fluent, continuous chain. If Symmetra loses 3 barrier per second constantly, then that just drops her gain down to 5 barrier per second since she’ll lose barrier as she’s gaining it.

I would propose considering some kind of buffer period, such that barrier doesn’t begin to decay until 1 or 2 seconds after she stops firing, but then decays more rapidly afterwards - 4 or 5 barrier per second, say.

Also, how do we handle shooting at enemy Barriers, such as Rein/Orisa/enemy Symmetra? Right now, that can be abused to gain high charge at no real cost. Do we want her to also generate Barrier for free against them? Do we want to prevent her from generating Barrier off of those? Maybe let her generate it faster?

I love this kind of discussion. This is what I hoped to run into on the forums, thanks for posting it.

Do we need a button map for it?

Well to be honest it’s a great breath of fresh air. Every “Elite Symm Main” out there threw the rework to the trash cuz “my primary fire” and others somehow hate the teleporter ability for some reason?

It surprises me that some would rather have the current symm even though any change to her is a positive change

(And also I’ve been a symm main in the beggining of the game but have stopped using her because of how easy it is to counter her, and I love these new changes but every time I bring it up an elitist sym main points out that I’m not s true symm main because I don’t one trick her)

1 Like

The reason I personally hate it is linked with the loss of Photon Barrier. IMO, the barrier provides a lot more utility than the party-wide Shadow Step.

But one thing changed my mind, and it was someone suggesting bringing the Photon Barrier back using the turret interface. Ie, when you press Shift, you open a “placement menu” like Moira orbs. If you press primary fire, you throw a turret. If you press secondary fire, you throw the shield.

2 Likes