Symmetra Rework Opinions from a Symmetra Main

Okay listen, I’ve been a Symmetra main since the first few weeks of Overwatch and I’ll be honest, I really like the changes to her

Primary Fire
They basically turned her Microwave into a Shield Killer, which is fine! Reinhardt/Orisa Shields begone!
But the removal of her lock-on is kind of weird, it’s pretty iconic to be honest

Secondary Fire
Yes… They actually changed her Secondary Fire! No longer is it simply a Spam Orb (It still kind of is), now it deals Area Damage and it charges / moves faster now!

I’m really glad they changed her Secondary Fire, before you had to pray that someone walks into the slowest projectile in the game, now you have a better chance of hitting them!

Turrets
Arguably one of my favorite changes, I no longer need to manage my Turrets or have them all destroyed and waiting 60 seconds to get all my turrets back up.

Throwing your Turrets is neat, but the buff to it’s damage/slow is great

Well, I guess I have to say goodbye to the Car Wash, but it’s time to Hose people down!

Teleporter
This is insanely good, teleporting entities and teammates without mobility? Sign me up! Time for surprise Gravition/Nuke!

There’s going to be A LOT of Synergy between her and a bunch of Ultimates

New Ultimate
It’s pretty cool, gives your team some breathing room and allows them to safely traverse the battlefield (As long as an enemy isn’t on your side of the barrier)

5000 Health is a lot, but the barrier is “infinite in size” as the devs would put it.
So couldn’t someone just destroy the Barrier without being in line of sight of you or your allies? Say a Junkrat or Bastion, they deal High Damage to barriers, or even the entire enemy team?

Also apparently you can place it from a large distance

But one question if a Dev sees this, does Sombra’s Ultimate work on this barrier?

It’s sounds like a great Ultimate, but I want to see it in action on the PTR before I give my verdict for this one

Moved from Support to Defense
Honestly she feels more like a Support than ever before! She can destroy barriers quickly so your Offense Heroes can bring the hurt, Teleport Allies without Mobility and Surprise Ultimate Combo enemies, Slow Down enemies more, and give your team some breathing room with her powerful Barrier!

But if the Devs think that she belongs in Defense, I’m not going to argue, I just feel like she can stay in Support

Removal of Shield Generator
I really liked Shield Generator, giving your Allies 75+ Shields is great! but, I guess we won’t be seeing her Unique Choice of Ultimates anymore, it was fun while it lasted!

Anyways, thank you Devs for looking at my/our favorite Indian Tech Support! Hopefully she won’t be classed as a Troll Pick anymore…

98 Likes

This is something that is very unfortunate. I liked not having to aim, and I liked not having mobile heroes be able to escape from incorrectly engaging into a nest. Hopefully they won’t remove lock on, but just restrict it to a hit zone comparable to that of moira.

I think it’s a rather concerning ult. If you consider how fast reinhard’s shield goes down (less than 2 seconds), a 5k shield ult that enemies can just simply walk through seems to be ineffective at best. They probably should’ve just kept a variant of the shield gen and then ALSO added this as a second ult.

The thing that really kills me the most is simply the fact that she can no longer defend herself with a photon barrier. So I really hope that the damage she will deal will be high enough to out-dps most close-ranged heroes, otherwise there’s literally no point to playing her over a better area-denial off-dps.

15 Likes

Yeah, the removal of the lock-on is disappointing. I tended to see Symmetra as a decent anti-flank hero with her microwave beam able to track a fast-moving target. I guess Brigitte takes over that spot now. Hopefully they’ll at least give her new beam some decent range.

12 Likes

Nice, constructive post.

One thing I will say about the lock-on, I think it is one of the things that was holding her back. Personally I am glad it is going, but I know a lot of people are really sore about it.

16 Likes

I’m mostly sore about the lock-on because I’m a fan of “hard counters.” Winston is a decent hard counter for flankers, for instance, since he’s tough enough to slug it out with them, has a weapon they can’t dodge and has enough mobility to pursue them. I used to use Symmetra in a similar fashion, harassing flankers and then retreating into a Turret Trap.

Upon reflection, her lack of mobility and range made her not terribly good at that, and the frankly ridiculous damage of her charged-up gun made her unnecessarily deadly to tanks and other tough heroes. Like I said - moving to a straight beam rather than a tracking one isn’t necessarily bad if it comes with a range increase.

6 Likes

What? Where can I find PTR patch notes?!

It is no longer Melee which is also the key component of the gun.

It is no longer thread the needle style aim, which is a key component of her Alternate fire.

No will argue with your there. The current Turret mechanics are clunky and Sym mains wanted them to be improved.

It no longer has infinite horizontal mobility. THe mobility has actually be DRASTICALLY CUT.

Photon Barrier which we used all the time to personally defend ourselves is being removed as well.

Nothing is left, other than Symmetra’s hollow shell.

This is a New Hero and I demand that Blizzard add them as Hero 28.

#SaveSymmetra

9 Likes

The only one of these that I hadn’t already heard about was her move from Sup to Def. This makes a lot of sense, I think. Huzzah to the rest of the changes as well. A complicated character to balance – let’s hope new Sym is fun and fair!

In the PTR region of OW in the blizz launcher (Sym rework hasn’t been released yet though if that is what you are looking for).

Not sure what you are meaning by this.

3 Likes

I think they’re saying you can place a teleporter anywhere on the map, and the spawn will automatically get an entrance. So theoretically, you’re not limited to range of effectiveness with the current teleporter.

I am under the assumption that the new teleporter requires Symmetra to setup an entrance and an exit on her own, but may be limited to range because I think she has to place it in a hologram field within her field of view, similar to turrets.

As far as I understand from what the Devs said. Sym can place a TP up to 23m away and the second one drops at her feet automatically. To activate it, you need to trigger it via input key. It can go both ways, but with a short individual cooldown after use.

NOTE: I get it now. I thought they were referring to the new TP.

If that’s the case, the teleporter will eventually be limited to that 23m range, whereas before, you could put a teleporter right by the enemy spawn and link it to your spawn.

I hope this makes sense. I’m just trying to understand OP as well.

Correct. Now it is less of a quasi rez system, and more of a tactical mobility tool.

1 Like

He current beam should be her secondary fire but with CD

• She can use it to fight flankers
  • or to charge her beam faster

because as a DEF hero she needs a reliable dmg.

#About the SG
It would be nice if they give her the choice between a TP or a small SG

New sentries are unfortunate :confused:

Here’s what I learned using Symm in an experimental custom game:

• symm’s constructs can go through the teleporter
  • turrets cannot be eaten or reflected
  • teleporter can be used as a dodge mechanic, spammed between the two. This is crucial for characters like Ana, Bastion, and Zen
  • bastion can move through it in turret mode
  • teleporter can break when put on destructive items like a railing. It will trigger the cooldown however.
  • you can teleport while slept
  • Sombra’s ult destroys her shield
  • her turrets can stick to anywhere in the environment, have fun sticking it to roofs to pester Pharah and Widowmakers
  • Saving teammates in grav is tricky. If Symm is in the grav herself I don’t think it’s possible to teleport people out.
12 Likes

I just tested it with Sombra to respond to this post, you beat me!

I also tested with Bastion to see how quickly the barrier would go down, and it stayed up for a good amount of time. It’s definitely a good ult, just gotta watch out for Sombra.

This is great, thanks.

As for the removal of the lock-on, we tried to make it work but there was no way to realistically increase its damage potential while still allowing that kind of lock-on targeting. On the plus side, it takes longer to lose charge on the weapon now so you don’t have to be crazy accurate to build up charge. You just need to be able to stay alive long enough to build it, which has always been the real trick with her :slight_smile:

131 Likes

I kinda figured her range would be longer; even with more damage, 10 meters just feels really short.

12 Likes