Symmetra Rework: Defense or Support?

Look further up the post mate.

You guys are brilliantly creative.
I can see this being really useful on attack even which is great.

11 Likes

Thanks for the updates Geoff. Looking forward to testing the new Sym.

I love Overwatch

5 Likes

No shields for health then? Bah.

Wonderful transparency, Geoff. This new Symmetra sounds awesome, and a lot more fun and versatile than the Symmetra we have now. I can’t wait to see the rework in action!

12 Likes

Ahhh this is so exciting I love it so much!!!

2 Likes

Its actually been super interesting in playtests. There are a lot of different ways to use it and exactly where you place it is super important. You can do stuff like throw it into a fight from spawn like a Hanzo ult, because it spans across entire maps.

56 Likes

This rework sounds both super hot and super cool.

3 Likes

How long does the barrier last? What do you mean by it being “infinite in size”?

Is adding Shield HP gone from her kit entirely then? Torb/Sym/Brig was looking pretty good for a bit.

3 Likes

IMO the lock-on is part of what makes Sym Sym.

2 Likes

Guys, guys, guys…

…Satya Vaswani has just now gone full Portal mode on us.

14 Likes

What about shield gen? Scrapped?

4 Likes

Now I’m thinking about Symmetra using it on Illios and having it appear on Junkertown.

7 Likes

So are you gearing her up to be another anti-tank character that destroys riens shield? Rien already has enough issues.

3 Likes

Her ult seem very underwhelming…Just a infinite size moving shield? Thats it?

1 Like

Now I’m worried about shield gen as an ultimate now, since i can see it as not having a lot of impact. You can’t move it once you place it, you can’t destroy it if its not useful anymore. Now it just feels like a clunky ability, instead of an actual ultimate. Why bother using it when you’re at risk of not being able to use the other one?

2 Likes

Oh I just realized we don’t need her to lob the turrets if the portal idea goes through. Because she’ll be able to reposition herself onto the high ground to get angles behind the enemy anyway.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for all of the details and multiple posts :slight_smile:

Has any consideration gone into the possibility of implementing this as a new hero rather than as a rework?

You’d have a significantly higher development cost to implement this as a new hero but, the outcome might be better overall.

Players that like the current Sym better than the the rework or that like both would be happy at not having their character facing oblivion. (A small portion of Sym players posts that I’ve seen say they need the auto aim to play the game due to physical limitations)

Players that don’t like Sym as a character would probably be happier playing as someone new. (I think a portion of the poor treatment Sym gets is due to how the character comes across to players. She connects with some amazingly well but, she also annoys other players significantly.)

Players that like Sym’s character more than whatever you create that is new that like the new mechanics better would be getting a less than ideal outcome.

Players that hate Sym’s mechanics would still be annoyed with her being present still.

8 Likes

Instead of her lobbing huge energy balls through his shield, chunking him and his teammates for free ult charge, she’ll have to get close to him and wear down his 2000 health shield with her beam without dying. If anything this probably makes her less of a Reinhardt counter.

4 Likes