Symmetra Restoration Challenge Teaser Tweet revealing possible upcoming MAP!

As many of you probably have seen, a new Symmetra short story was revealed today and tomorrow a new mini-event challenge will be begin, but I noticed something in the @PlayOverwatch tweet announcing the upcoming mini-event challenge. The environment does not appear familar to any of the existing maps in Overwatch. At first glance I thought it was simply Ayutthaya (the rarely seen Arena map), but the architecture is too significantly different to be that map. Could we have been teased one of the upcoming maps for Overwatch 2 perhaps?

Map in the tweet:

What Ayuttaya looks like (and its opposing wing is even more different).

32 Likes

This is the underwater map all over again.

18 Likes

It could be an asset created for the purpose of promoting the event. I doubt they’d put in that much effort just for this, but I can’t rule it out as a possibility.

11 Likes

I won’t get any hopes up for a new map.

That is true GrossGamer but maps are extremely time-consuming to build in 3D and I highly doubt they did it for simply a 9-second teaser tweet.

21 Likes

its gonna be another trash map like busan havana paris. last good map release was 2016 : eichenwalde

Is Sym being “Restored” or “Ignored”?

4 Likes

Havent noticed that but it can be 3 things:

• Nepal getting decorative changes or a rework
  • Ayutthaya will be extended to a full map
  • Its just a mash of both maps for the challenge like Underwater was for Hammond. I mean we havent got nighttime Gibraltar from Bap novel but it looks awesome.

To be fair there are many things pointing at having an underwater map in the future but i think they will spare it for OW2’s updated engine.

Perhaps it is a mix of assets they already had?

Or maybe it is the temple from the story?

They created a underwater scenery for Hammond’s submarine skin. So I still wouldn’t get my hopes up for a new map anytime soon.

14 Likes

I think the temple is the Sanctum from Nepal

I found it hard to tell to be honest.

But you are probably correct.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain they’ve done menu backgrounds of locations not present in-game in the past, so this is likely nothing really

But who knows I suppose

I miss nighttime Gibraltar from Baps novel…

I was going to suggest the picture above was made using a mix of assets they had like the lotuses from ayuthaya, maybe the petra/ nepal pillars. I dismissed it, but seeing that junkrat riptire and the barrels in the hammond one makes me think maybe I could be right?

4 Likes

This might just be Hammond’s Submarine teaser all over again, but who knows

4 Likes

The “new symetra short story” link dosen’t work :confused:

This was proven fake

Does this work?

Huh? You can find this picture in Blizzard’s Overwatch press center.

3 Likes