Symmetra in overwatch

Yeah I agree with that. But why can’t I enjoy my ladder play. Not every hero has to be designed around owl. We should be able to have characters that are only good causually that’s why I play games.

1 Like

You do realize that their overall accuracy may be less than 50% but that doesn’t mean they aren’t perfectly tracking at other times. You also have to account for the times (especially with heroes like Sym) where you’re holding m1 on something just out of range. Or maybe you got bopped unexpectedly. Or held m1 coming out of spawn to break railings etc.

So many things affect the accuracy stat that you can’t exactly call it a credible tool for measuring how well those players aim.

Why does aiming have to be the fundamental skill for all characters. I don’t care to much on this one just curious on your thoughts

2 Likes

Na the second one was better.

1 Like

But that’s not why she was changed. She just didn’t match the new direction of the game. In which case, her 3.0 iteration also does not match,and will likely change

1 Like

Yeah she was changed in reaction to dive. Little did they know brig was all they needed. Sym 2.0 was really good at dealing with deathball.

Well dive and people that couldn’t adapt so they blamed their problems on lock on. And not their terrible positioning and gamesense

2 Likes

It isn’t for a lot of heroes and it isn’t for Symmetra especially. She has always had to aim, just not as much as other heroes and she still doesn’t. Syms fundamentals are positioning, predicting, and punishing. Always has been. She might have to aim a little more now, but it’s still an FPS.

FPS/MOBA hybrid specifically, but the hybrid nature is why heroes like Winston/Brig/Rein/ exist. To answer your question, it should be a fundamental for most heroes in this game because it is primarily an FPS. Shooter implying you’re putting a cross hair somewhere and aiming to keep it there.

Yeah I know. It’s just moderate dps with lock on was removed entirely. Think it will ever come back

I don’t think her primary fire is worth it compared to the old primary. It’s a lot better for fighting tanks. But I liked the defense mechanics that it use to be. It protected her from the squishy characters walking on her. Genji is a ton better for him now. Orbs are nice but are only required because of the primary change

Symm and Mei are my favorite answer to deathballs but old symm was better imo and was especially good against even brig at launch. :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Yeah brigs launch was hype for my. Not because I play brig but because she simultaneously dealt with dive, synergied with sym a lot and sym countered her well. Sym would have gotten substantially better had the devs done nothing

If the devs were very clever they would have feard sym after brig. And that’s why they reworked her. A good ol nerf in buffs cloths

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it protected her at all since all squishies including Mercy outdamaged her for a full 2 seconds. Genji can still just spam right click and kill her just like he could before, the difference now is you can throw a turret or two out without dying immediately for it which will probably drive him and most squishies away and landing a right click on him (and everyone) is much easier than it used to be.

She remains as unapproachable by lone squishies as she always was because of her turrets. Nobody was afraid of the beam. It has always been common knowledge that if you see Sym her turrets are probably somewhere near her and they didn’t want to deal with the beam + the turrets.

All of these things are minor though, and won’t drastically affect the stats. Even accounting for them, the best accuracy that you might realistically achieve is about 60%, but even that puts Syms damage lower than before. In fact, to get the same damage as before, you need an accuracy of about 67%. That’s not just a “player issue”, that’s a case of “players needing to become gods at tracking”

1 Like

Damage that is supplemented by her turrets. Turrets that are much easier to use and can actually be stacked in an attempt to unify their damage.

She did not have this amount of control with her turrets before, and having that effectively renders any lost damage due to accuracy completely moot. I’m pretty sure her damage stats are higher now than they were as either older iteration.

You also always have the option of trying to land a right click while at level 2 or 3 (and you should), as the burst from the orb+l2/l3 beam deletes most squishies almost instantly.

TP and photon barrier could deploy faster and the beam could maybe be a smidge longer and maybe 50 more shields would be nice.

They out damage you but they ain’t like you. Sym has her consistency so she better use it and have outstanding movement tech. I could juke em for days. Making it delish but yeah it was always a lot of fun surfing for 4 devs to get the kill. That’s the real reason I’d take consistency over potential. Consistency actually is just better across the board as you can focus even more on everything else in the duel and use that to smash opponents

1 Like

Yeah the damage is higher than the old one it better be lol but it’s still extremely low compared to most dps. Sym gets on average 400 less damage than zarya per minute. She has the lowest dps of all the spam and sustain hero’s.
That’s even with turrets

Old sym got most of her value from utility that’s what she was min maxed in it was so interesting. Sadly I doubt we will ever see another hero like that. Who knows if we will ever see something like that in another shooter game in general

1 Like

Consider all the boops in this game and realize her consistency wouldn’t mean much when Hammond just rolls her away from her target, slams, then kills her (much like he does now) or she just gets rocket punched vs now where she can usually connect with something safely from high ground or with her TP placed to avoid being killed immediately.

Most DPS aren’t utility DPS and while her damage as a result is inconsistent, she still has a lot of damage.

And she still does, it’s just that nobody uses it because it isn’t in front of them as soon as they respawn or providing shields without them having to interact with it.

The turrets are so unreliable though that I’m not about to place my bets on turrets helping me out. Some teams totally ignore them and get melted. Others immediately destroy them and carry on like nothing was ever there.

Being better than before doesn’t make them good enough for me to rely on them.

I mean, you still need to hit the orb. So either, you’re amazing at leading projectiles, or they’re really close to you. If it’s the latter, you could just as easily beam them and get it done in a similar time, if not faster.

Yeah those interactions are fixed by having shield gen. I think Hammond would be sym 2.0 bestcounter But you don’t see him to often so it would still work out. And you’d just have to put shield gen in spots that accounts for the enemy Hammond. I haven’t learned those spots obviously but it would have been cool.

Sym 3.0 is a utility dps in the way that sombra is.

Old sym was special though every single thing in her arsenal brought utility to the table her gun had lock on and pierce which created zones that sym could control. Shield gen in tp support. Turrets has slow map awareness and damage. And photon barrier was the survivability. It was a loaded kit and that’s what was so cool about it. She had tons of strengths to use and weaknesses that you had to overcome. It was the most interesting character I had ever seen in a shooter

Now it’s like oi I can tp and throw turrets and my Highest skill ability is blocking hook with a turret pick me guys. Just not interesting to me.

I liked old sym for the theroy crafting you had so much defensive potential in your kit and I learned ways to utilize it everywhere. You had to learn every matchup before and most played out significantly differently. Now you just need to land orbs from a creative angle. It’s a lot more straightforward

I just can’t get into new sym

2 Likes

The only reason I’d consider them unreliable imo is because they don’t have the Torb treatment of targeting what Sym is targeting. If they could do that, you could salvage the moments where your turret bomb latched onto the Hog instead of the Zen by just waving your m1 over him or just get a better chance of confirming kills in general if you’re near them.

Her orbs are easy to land at almost any range if someone isn’t looking at you. It’s why her gun glows so brightly now when she’s charging an orb.