Symmetra in overwatch

I think the devs were thinking there was a lot of Symmetra hate and also a lot of “what if Sym could heal? Remember how Sym was allegedly going to have healing turrets in an alpha phase?” on the forums and so they created Moira and Brigitte to be spiritual successors to Symmetra 2.0.

After that, they needed to do something with Symmetra, so they redesigned her into a Tank Buster with too little HP to do the job. Also, tele spam.

Then they see threads on the forums asking for ramp time increases :wink: and then patch in the buffs while players are still re-learning her. The goal here is to buff Sym enough to where it’s nearly impossible to throw with her if you’re trying (much like the Hanzo rework) because she had such a bad reputation as a “throw pick” and also because she countered lots of Dive heroes and people loathe their counters!

In every iteration of Symmetra, she generally tends to melt everything in sight if you leave her alone.

Feel free not to. It’s the internet do as you please. But as far as I see, you are either wrong, or willfully ignorant and have no concept of what you’re talking about

Which Sym did not.

How hard is it to understand that making an assumption =/= facts?

The only facts you’ve provided have proved nothing except that Sym’s pickrate dropped after her rework and private profiles. Woah. Shocker. People don’t play new heroes in comp. In fact, you’re literally stopped by the game.

I mean, I would. Jeff hasn’t made any statements on the rework though, so like, I’m sticking with my opinion and the facts we actually have.

Call it what you like, you still don’t have actual evidence to back them up.

1 Like

How hard is it to understand that these are not assumptions but conclusions based on the facts at hand?

Baseless means: without foundation in fact.

I am using the FACTS at hand to come to a conclusion. None of these are assumptions.

We know for a FACT that sym mains have been harrassed.

We know for a FACT that sym mains were one the leading groups in favor of and supporting the private profile update.

We know for a FACT that sym is the only hero whose pick rate dropped immediately after a rework. Despite a large part of the playerbase at large testing her out constantly for well over a month. The only way this could happen is if we had a sudden drop in information as there is no way you can claim that all of a sudden all the sym mains ditched their hero without giving themselves TIME to see if they can adjust.

Sym was already a very small part of the playerbase as a whole. This being fact means her stats are more prone to influence from even a 1000 players wanting to remain private.

Heroes are picked for different reasons, but it’s not first time such thing happened. If hero stops being fun, which was the case for some players, they won’t bother with adapting and just quit.

Previous time with different hero resulted in roughly 50% of existing hero mains to leave. If part players valued most is gone, expecting them to adjust is a bit silly, as main reason for them to pick that hero is gone.

2 Likes

You’ve missed the point entirely. Its not about if they eventually choose to leave the hero or not. Its about the fact that her pickrate dropped literally as the patch dropped.

That would mean that sym mains would have not even TRIED to make it work before making a decision to stop using her AND everyone else who did not main sym not even bothering to test her as well.

You cannot claim with any seriousness that they stopped playing her IMMEDIATELY upon update.

The only way a drop like that occurs is if suddenly part of the picture is missing. Such as a large portion of the base that plays her choosing to remain private.

Because they already knew, that they have no place on this new Symmetra. PTR changes were known before actual release, btw.

2 Likes

Everyone knows that PTR is wildly different to playing it live due to no one taking it as seriously.

No other hero’s have been deemed “lackluster” on ptr and seen puckrate drops upon launch.

Not to mention the amount of people who actually play on ptr is much smaller.

in context as a hero that does damage she does a lot of it, more than most cast members.

picking a sniper shows you dont care about context and just look at max damage per shot, and assume the sniper always hits that shot.

Room of death, as the name implies, means warding a closed space. That still works today.

Tracer box is supposed to be used in open areas. The idea is predicting Tracer’s path, and then catching her.

True.

No, we know that vocal Sym mains who came to the forums because they were unhappy were one of the leading groups. I don’t think there were particularly many of them though, and I don’t think they make up a particularly large portion of the Sym main community. I could be wrong though, but there’s really not much to go on.

Sym’s rework is on a scale that we’ve never seen before and we’ve still yet to see. Her entire kit was taken and most parts of it were scrapped, with only ability names, appearances and very few parts of her kit (charge based beam, orbs you can charge, turrets) remaining. The closest thing to that we’ve seen is perhaps Torb’s, but that still kept his gun, (which is the exact same as before apart from maybe some damage tweaks) his turret, (which had a few changes) his hammer and even molten core (which has some major similarities to his old ult along with some major differences). He still functions very similar to before though.

Sym’s rework completely changed her. She’s practically a new hero. It’s not surprising that her pickrate dropped considering quite a few Sym mains didn’t like the new Sym. The rest needed time to get used to her due to her entirely different kit and playstyle, which was hard to do on PTR due to its small player-base leading to unbalanced matches. Hence, if she saw playtime it’d be in quickplay.

2 Likes

I perfer her 2.0 rework since that was really Sym.
I wish they could turn back time and give us 2.0 again. :disappointed_relieved:

I am not a big fan of the big shield as ult or the Zarya 2.0 beam. And the TP on E is so dumb.
I liked so much more the E Photon Barrier shield instead and had TP and Gen as her ult along with her 6 turrets and even her auto-lock aim.

4 Likes

If she was bringing something game-changing, that loss of playerbase would have been covered by influx of new players, who either interested in hero or just want to win. But since she didn’t bring such ability, new players were barely interested, and some of old players left.

3 Likes

You should use the way back machine it shows the contrary. Sym was consistently powerful throughout the ranks. She had a 60% winrate in gm. She also had a 60% winrate in bronze. It didn’t actually show any bias toward the low ranks. Sym was only countered by team coordination so the only place she was not viable was owl. The Koreans ran her once but switched after first. But on ladder she did amazing.

I agree that there are multiple reasons that sym had such a high winrate. One was the incredibly strong niche and her being one of the most competent defensive characters. The other main one was how so few people knew how to play against her. In gm there are still so many misconceptions about sym. The entire community believed winston was an extremely strong pick vs sym. Yet a character that only counters one part of someone else’s kit isn’t necessarily strong against the entire character

In my opinion winston was the most predictable and easy to deal with “counter” shield gen completely destroyed Winston’s time to kill and even an ulting winston had a lot of difficulty dealing with shield gen

1 Like

I rather miss shield generator. It was pretty awesome in No Limits mode.

1 Like

The most hate i have gotten about sym were once I stopped playing and went on the forums. People would ignore ideas I had simply because they are unpopular. Even if it was as simple as you can get tons of value with the slow orbs. People would ignore and contest that sym has always been a throw pick. A popular one was no aim no brain. I didn’t even care much about lock on.

But when I was playing I got tons of encouragement for my sym plays. I think it was from my great voice chat use maybe that just how people are in gm. But hell I maintained a level 4 endorsement rating with one of the most unpopular hero’s in one of the most competitive environments.

Those were the days though so many interesting people and games

I really don’t know why my ideas are so quick to dismiss know that I’m on the forums. But it is interesting.

I was actually anticipating the rework. I gave it the best chance I could. But there was nothing that grounded her to her old playstyle. If they had just left photon barrier as it was I would have loved the character if they had

Do you actually think the devs of the game would describe the rework as anything other than a success. They choose the goalpost.

I don’t know if the devs have ever admitted any mistakes im actually interested is there anything?

2 Likes

No other hero has had a polar opposite rework like sym. Stuff can happen man. Your reasoning doesn’t doesn’t mean it’s the only reason or even the main reason why sym has received a pickrate drop

We should also look at that stats to verify that the pickrate actually dropped. What day was the rework

Just gonna pick on this point here. How do we know this? You’re making an assertion based on your own memory and others are refuting it. Unless you provide concrete evidence like links or screenshots, it’s not a fact at all.

Also keep in mind that forum users are a small minority of players. Also keep in mind that even if forum Sym mains (again, a minority) were big askers, it doesn’t mean that you can claim that they hide their profiles more unless you had some sort of real evidence from Blizzard showing that. Not conjecture based on why you think a pickrate is the way it is, but real evidence from Blizzard showing the percentage of Sym mains with private profiles relative to other heroes. Period.

Assumptions are simply never facts and you’ve made two big assumptions and present them as truth. No tangible proof, no fact.

Hell, if we are going off of personal memory, I personally remember that people who were forced into healing when they were flex players who wanted to dps sometimes were the real big askers of private profiles.

2 Likes

That would actually be an extremely useful statistic to have. Wouldn’t sacrifice the privacy of individuals with private profiles while allowing us to get exact data on pickrate.

One thing I don’t know if you have already talked about regarding pickrate. Is the introduction of new hero’s. That is a very probable reason for her pickrate to decrease. Because the people might just enjoy new hero’s more. And it’s garenteed that as the number of hero’s increase the average pickrate will decrease just because maths