Symmetra in overwatch

Feel free to deny the fact that niche picks and supports wanted private profiles far more.

But anyone who was aware of these requests and reviewed countless posts about it on these forums it was quite clear who wanted them and why.

I try to look at things from others perspectives. I know sym 2.0 was unfun but I don’t think there was nothing the devs could have done. She needed work on shield gen mainly.

I believe sym 2.0 and 3.0 have different skillsets so I don’t see one as taking more skill than the other.

I can agree with you that she is much less frustrating to play against now that is good. I just think there were things that could have been done to 2.0

The biggest problem with sym 2.0 was shield gen that ability was broken and very frustrating to play against. It needed adjustment. I had my own idea for what the devs could have done. That would be to just limit the amount of shields it could provide maybe somewhere between 500-700 who knows where it would be fair to place that number. But shield gen being unlimited was busted. That change alone would have given the enemy some more counterplay and given sym more times of weakness. This would have also worked once teams got checkpoints and you would get a percent of the ultimate back based on the shields given kinda like how old tp worked. Also they had to make the ult charge much higher I got that thing at ridiculous speed

I feel like with this nerf sym could have remained powerful in her niche without giving the enemy the hopeless feelings that there is nothing they can do. It would have given the enemy more counterplay to sym. I have always been a believer that she was very powerful. She needed a nerf to ult but that’s about it.

I do feel like it was one of the worst reworks though. Sym has changed night and day. Yeah parts of the rework are good for the game but at the cost of a character idk. I believe there are things the devs could have done to at least pay respect to the old playstyle. And keeping only ramp up was not that.

Had they left photon barrier one of the iconic pieces of 2.0 I would have been extremely happy. At the start of the rework I was fully committed to trying to learn and enjoy 3.0 and if they kept her one reactive combat ability I would have probably been successful in converting over. I like tp the new gun is iffy for me turrets were nice. The ult is strong but not overly interesting. But yeah I really just needed some grounding to the previous playstyle. She could have kept the whole bait and counter game and I don’t think it would have broken 3.0

But yeah the rework was a bad one.

1 Like

sym dumpsters most dps, obviously not precision heroes like a sniper.
but thanks for showing your level of understanding.

Where do I even start with this argument…I mean, wow.

Widowmaker has a comparitively low damage output compared to her impact on the game because it is all frontloaded. Widowmaker can take out a hero instantly with 1 button press. That still just registers as 200 damage dealt, but is also a kill that the enemy healers had no chance to heal through.

Symmetra could hit two orbs for a combined 240 damage, but it could very easily not be a kill because the enemy healers could heal in between.

Widowmaker has a, relatively, low damage output, but massive pick potential. If Symmetra is hovering in the same total damage region as her then Symmetra is beyond worse of as she has nowhere near the same pick potential.

2 Likes

Widow is rewarded for efficiency not damage providing. A better widow gets less damage and more picks

I don’t know if you say the same for sym. Especially if your using her for orb spam

1 Like

It’s your opinion. I respect it.

As I said, Blizzard certainly could have done changes to Symmetra 2.0 before reworking her from the ground up, but really what they did in the end is what I believe was the best idea.

On the other hand, I would definitely want Photon Barrier to make a return :slight_smile:

Also, one last thing…

Well Symmetra has to actually aim right now, her turrets are less, even though a bit more powerful overall, which means that the Symmetra player will need to be more careful with them to get value. The teleported, which finally requires situational awareness and map knowledge has been replaced with the Wall ULT, which also requires skill in order to be perfectly places, so the skill requirements are somewhat balanced here…

1 Like

It’s hard to name a single hero, which isn’t rewarded for efficiency over damage.

In which case what context are you giving ? Because in comparison to soldier or reaper, she is equal

at what ranges? missing variables here

I’m asking you to clarify your original statement defending her dps. Please clarify what context this is in

Yeah I think new turrets while you have less are easyier to deploy especially since you have tp and can throw them. Old sym had to make quick decisions on the risk she was willing to take when replacing turrets because if she went to far out she could be caught out of position before the next fight. She didn’t have movement abilities I always tried to cut it as close as possible that way you get the best spots. If your too safe your turrets are in more predictable locations. There was tons of risk and skill and time management with old turrets. Managing more doesn’t make it easier it is actually a lot harder

These are just different skills though yeah one has to aim the other has to counter abilities. If sym 3.0 had old photon barrier I would agree with you that the skill required has increased. But since she doesn’t the skills are just too different to compare.

But yeah definitely all for photon barrier coming back I know if it did I would definitely come back to play some more sym

Wow this thread has really blown up

1 Like

I looked on master overwatch for stats on damage values. And I found that Sym actually has lower damage than most of those characters. Zarya gets and average of 400 more damage per minute than sym and that’s including syms turrets

These are average damage stats in comp. they might have changed a bit but I only checked a month ago. I don’t think anything major has appended though to change it

Again, no evidence to back this up. Especially considering forum users are a very small minority of Overwatch players.

You’re making a judgement based upon a vocal minority. For all we know, a majority of Sym players don’t actually use private profiles.

Yeah that’s not how statistics work. If you get even a small random sample size it will represent the total population. This isn’t a small sample it is alright to look at the stats as they should represent the total player base very well

Just a quick Google of “number of private vs public profiles in overwatch” lead to an article from last year on dbltap (dot) com that lead-off with “88 Percent of Overwatch Players Have Private Profiles”. I’d be willing to bet that applies to Sym players as well. :slight_smile:

Yeah and even if 88% has private profiles we can use that 12% to get very good estimates about the total population

That’s still a large enough sample so it should represent the total population

I still remember the day my mind was blown up once I learned how to do a Tracer box.

1 Like

What’s a tracer box I haven’t heard of that?

I use to always orb melee tracer to deal with her

This was my og pc account so I’m the same person as tommysalami

1. Find your usual choke point, where people would expect you to set a death gate.
  2. Place two turrets on said choke point. Preferably, on opposite sides.
  3. Stand in the middle, and walk the distance of a blink. Place two turrets at max range around there, hidden from the main choke.
  4. From this position, walk another blink distance in the direction you believe would be a safe space, and place your last 2 turrets.
  5. ???
  6. Profit

Once you learned the usual distances and you could do those boxes on the fly, it was hard for Tracer to just skip stuff with her blinks. She had to use longer alternative paths, and she was still easily caught if she panic and try to retreat back into her team.

Unfortunately, is one of those strategies that no longer work because with only 3 turrets it’s simple for Tracer to simply break them instead of trying to evade and entangle into the box.

2 Likes

Aww man I never set up turrets to specificity target tracer that’s cool. Still learning things about sym 2.0 to this day lol