For the sake of your eyes, I’ll break this down into sections. Click on each title to open/close it.
A TLDR of the most important things I’d like for you to take from this post will be at the end.
My thoughts on the new Sym
After playing with Symmetra in the new beta, she feels way worse than she did in the last beta. I played her for the entirety of the last beta without any changes and I honestly feel like she was much better.
The biggest reasons she feels bad to play:
- Orbs charge really slow and their damage is pathetic.
- Teleporter’s cooldown makes her less mobile, rather than more mobile.
- Her primary fire is still hard to charge with less shields and limited range.
- Teleporter’s range reduction is way too small.
I feel like the goal of these changes were to edge her out of a utility DPS role and nudge her into more of a stronger damage dealer, like Sombra’s changes. But it feels like the developers were too afraid to follow through and only made half the changes they should’ve, so now we’re stuck with this awkward in-between.
Changes I'd like to see
- Range increased from 12m to 14m
You have not made anywhere near enough survivability changes to this hero to warrant a puny 12m beam. For the love of god give us some range!
- Range increased from 22m to 25m.
- Cooldown reduced from 16s to 14s.
- Now plays an audio cue when teleporter is about to be destroyed.
That last one is really important. Back when she last had finite teleporter, we had an audio cue that let us know when teleporter was about to be destroyed. This lets me know exactly how much time I have to be balls-deep in the enemy’s backline before having to teleport out. Please reimplement this.
- Speed reduced from 50 to 40.
- Size increased from .4 to .45 (midway between old and new).
- Charge time nerf reverted.
- Total damage increased to 110.
This keeps some faster speed and requires a bit more aim, but makes her feel a bit better to play. The biggest issue with orbs is the charge time nerf. We should be making the hero faster and not slower. Also, nerfing the orb damage means Symmetra can no longer one shot combo a Tracer which sucks.
Why I feel let down, like we haven't been listened to
And this is an issue Geoff Goodman highlighted himself when talking about Bastion’s rework (I went over this in more detail here). Now how have the developers not come to the same conclusion with Symmetra?
Why has Symmetra been given some limited changes that make her feel so much worse to play instead of proper attention like other heroes in a similar position have received?
As I’m sure you’re all aware by now, another rework is a frequent topic not just on the forums but on Reddit also. Every single Reddit AMA the devs have done, people have asked if Symmetra will be returning to the support role. This was only further amplified by Geoff Goodman expressing an interest in retrying this, yet clearly nothing has come to fruition.
To see heroes like Sombra, Bastion and Orisa get much needed attention whilst my favourite hero still gets the short end of the stick…it’s extremely disheartening.
- Symmetra feels slower now rather than faster due to the compensation nerfs to teleporter and orbs.
- These changes feel incomplete, like the devs were too afraid to go all in and actually experiment.
- Teleporter needs to have an audio cue played to let you know when its timer is about to run out, like it did the last time we had finite teleporter.
I am very disappointed.