Symmetra changes that would satisfy 2.0 and 3.0 players?

God not the turrets, They’re such a pain to play against. They should make them weaker but make symmetra stronger.

I don’t think current Sym is fundamentally bad. She just needs some number adjustments. More damage on beam. Better turret cooldown. Faster TP deployment.

The damage would have to be heavily nerfed if the hit box is increased.

The charge rate of the orb would make it pretty useless.

I’m going to assume that you mean Photon Barrier and not Photon Shield, which was from Symmetra 1.0.

I don’t think we need 4 turrets, just the cooldown reduction.

1. If Symmetra already has SG up, then she wouldn’t be able to use Photon Barrier.
  2. I’d prefer it if SG was an option for her E ability, like how Moira chooses between damage or healing orbs.

I would be fine with straight beam primary fire if they made it worth using

Now, you need to have like 80+% accuracy to even make it worth it

The orbs would need either…
a. Slow charge time
b. Slow travel speed
… to compensate for the piercing. Both of them ruin her ranged potential.

Photon Shield was the one you used to have on E for the purpose of bolstering allied health pool with 25 shields.

Photon Barrier was the “shield” you cast in front of yourself that kept traveling. I often refer to this as the Photon Shield myself, because…silly me… it looks like a shield crafted from hard light.

Pardon me for saying the wrong thing… Read what I meant, not what I typed! :wink:

1 Like

I’m not saying Symmetra is perfect, just that the changes you want aren’t the best of solutions.
The orbs right now lost the pierce but got splash damage, which are not enough to pierce through Reinhardt (which is fair) but still can kill a Brigitte by hitting the floor around her. They can’t go through shields but that’s what her M1 is for (on the plan. As said it do need buffs).
The main problem is the buggy deployment. Once fixed you need less time to put it up. The TP wasn’t meant to be a “quick escape” route otherwise it would be instant like Wraith Form.
Maybe this is a console related problem but I see no problem in the cooldown or charge numbers at all. Faster charging means more people spamming instead of careful placement, which should be the idea. You don’t want to waste a scarce resource.
I said Photon Shield was not ideal, not that was useless.
I admit I forgot some heroes with 3 skills.
Having 2 ults will be too much on how they will work (and some extra coding considering Symmetra already have use for the Double Q). The fact that 2 ults not making her viable don’t mean she needs two, otherwise let’s give multi ults for every unviable hero.

More heroes besides Symmetra are never an “ideal” choice for any scenario and that what makes them niche heroes.

For the Ultimate, thats what I meant. Pick Either SG or Shield.

And secondly, I meant the Photon Barrier from 2.0 and not the Photon Shield from 1.0, thank you.

Thirdly, most Symmetra mains loved the piercing orbs. They were useful at every choke point on attack and defense, but were soooo slow before to be more useful. Either the speed or the orbs, or charge rate would change. You should get what I’m getting at though, and not nitpick because the effect would be the same: bring the piercing orbs back.

And I’m also open to leaving it at 3 turrets if the cooldown was fast enough.

And I’m open to change her primary in a number of ways. I just don’t like how it functions now (even with a suitable charge rate). It just feels…off.

The problem is that this would be a severe nerf to any range capabilities.
A better change would be to have her orbs do less damage when it passes through a barrier. That means it can be used fo area denial but not become too lethal.

And what I’m saying is that Symm 3.0 (with or without tweaks to her numbers) is essentially not the same hero from before. Her identity is significantly changed. Now, if you should want the current version of the hero to work, then that’s fine. But don’t bash Symmetra mains like myself (and others) that actually liked her old kit, but just wanted some changes to make her stronger. We will agree to disagree, I suppose. But, as a day 1 Symmetra main, this current iteration of my favorite hero is my least favorite.

3 Likes

Or just make big balls like 2.0, and turn small useless orbs into strong range option.

No. Lock on is just stupid and just takes one of the most important skills of playing a damage character and throws it in the trash.

What you think you’re suggesting: changes.

What you’re actually suggesting: another rework.

Not only do most Sym mains ask for a multitude of completely unnecessary buffs, you don’t even see how easily broken she’d end up being. That’s why Blizzard doesn’t really listen to the opinions of changes from anyone’s mains, because they typically are not viewed or written from an objective standpoint.

2 Likes

longer living teleporter, liking the buff on the ptr as far as I seen.

Well, at least we’re all so civil about it. We all band together because we love this game and how we love Symmetra as a hero. I’m glad we’re showing our support together for the hero we all enjoy playing. And even giving constructive criticisms to each others’ idea, instead of shooting them all down and putting me down!! :hugs::expressionless:

I like these changes but I suggest one more

Teleporter
Functions like the current iteration of Torb’s turret where it’s a permanent item on the map until destroyed or another one is deployed.
There’s not really any reason for Sym’s telly to be a temporary destructable as it only teleports players and certain items from one place to another. I personally feel like it isn’t too useful in it’s current state and it won’t affect the game overall too much if the timer on it is completely removed since the travel distance isn’t too far anyway. Upon being destroyed it should go on cooldown, like Torb’s turret and Sombra’s translocator.

1 Like

I agree!! Good change. Its hard to satisfy long-time Symmetra fans that really loved Symmetra 2.0 and the people that happen to like the current version of the hero too.

And different players put different emphasis between what is fun/comfortable vs. what is effective/viable while also maintaining the identity of the hero (or lack thereof).

1 Like

Personally if I were to redesign Symmetra (and this is completely my bias btw so take it with a grain of salt):

Primary fire: Bring back the noodle but I like the idea of the soft lock mechanic from Moira being implemented.
Secondary fire: I like the current iteration of her balls, keep that as it is.
Teleporter: I already talked about in my previous comment.
Turrets: Bring back the disposable 1 HP turrets (I honestly love them a lot, the current ones aren’t terrible though but I much preferred the old 6 turrets) but keep the new deployment method of throwing them instead of having to stick them to surfaces.
Photon Barrier: I’d love it to come back, seriously haven’t been able to adjust to it’s removal yet.
Shield Gen: I don’t really mind it being gone forever, I much prefer her giant wall as the ult and wasn’t a huge fan of the shield gen in the first place.

That’s my two cents on the matter, hopefully they’ll reconsider their approach to her sometime soon.

Moira’s “soft-lock” isn’t really a lock on, you have to have your crosshair over the character model in order to be doing damage, the beam just moves to the middle of the character design so it’s more visually clear. As soon as you move your crosshair off the model you will stop doing damage.

Yeah, I didn’t really explain the whole “Moira lock” thing well in my OP. I just liked how Moira’s beam functioned and feeling a lot more than Symmetra’s current beam.

And I get where you’re coming from and like most of your ideas.
However, I’ll always be a fan of SG. That’s why I wanted it as a second ultimate, as an option.