Symmetra as a character

I never really thought about it but sym to me it makes sense why she should be a support. Okok i know she’s a dps and we haven’t gotten her full story and blah blah blah. But hear me out.
so the reason why I think she makes sense as a support is due to how sym wants a perfect world. In the comic she was featured in she talks about how the Favelas remind her of her home of Hyderabad. She wants to fix the world. She wants everyone to have a good life. She helps the little girl and protect her. I’m not saying that yah know a dps wouldn’t want that or a tank. She also doesn’t want to kill people. Not saying that this is revolutionary but still. She does only when it’s necessary and when she can avoid it she will. But her design asa builder who used light to make constructs that help and protect herself and her teammates,her ideology is based on helping the world and making it better. Granted her methods are not the best. But In the end I think that that design, her character and what she’s gone through yah know it makes sense for her to be a support.

Also we need more lore about her. And zen. Especially zen.

4 Likes

She was a support, initially. Also, Symmetra makes it clear she doesn’t kill unless she has to - her energy balls are non lethal in lore. Likewise, I think Echo would make more sense as a Support too, since she was created to help bridge the gap between omnic and human and being a destructive sticky bomb flinging death machine doesn’t quite spell that out to me. However, gameplay isn’t always perfectly going to coincide with lore

3 Likes

Yah true. But still it feels weird how often heroes do not actually fit with their lore. But oh well.

1 Like

Symm was a support but her ability was just a shield not heal and ppl was mad becoue of that and shield was kinda op so bliz revork her that she didn’t work out as a healer now, but idea of making her as a support character? Great idea :slight_smile: I like play as symm but I’m support player.
Also Echo at first was a support but before she appears in game Jeff anauce that Echo is a DPS.
I was thinking how heal ability for echo would look like and first what coming to my mind is symm shield effect but insted of shield she heal and that bubble gives you somthing like Zarya shield for 2-3s, but that could be too much XD

1 Like

I think one of Overwatch’s biggest cataloging problems is the essential reduction of the role itself. In a classic MOBA, the supports are not automatically intended as Healers, and there is a wide range of dps and tanks (long range, fighters etc.). probably in a normal MOBA logic it makes sense to catalog as support sombra or Symmetra. even Zarya is listed as Support in Heroes of the Storm, yet retains all of her OW abilities.

about Symmetra like support, I like your reflection based on her comic, but at the same time we come into conflict again between a hero who “gives support” and a hero who “gives healings”. Symmetra is certainly interested in protecting someone with her means, with shields, defense systems and, if necessary, invade an enemy area with the TP … but it is also noted that she paradoxically does not manage to alleviate someone’s suffering. the way I see it, she still couldn’t cure that little girl and that wound remained.

that’s why I don’t really believe that a symmetra who knows how to take care of someone is in line with her character in the lore. otherwise he would know of the suffering he really inflicts on the people of the favelas, and a contrasting role to that of lucio (a healer) is in my opinion a good contrast that makes their lore fascinating.

I personally believe that Sym’s new ultimate (the photonic wall) is just perfect to describe her role as architect, the one who “rewrites safe areas on the battlefield”, even for how she manages to evoke it. I do not regret having had sym 3.0, the only remorse is that OW has never, NEVER managed to value the nuances of the “hybrid” or “uncertain” classes like the now disappeared defense class. because today symmetra is an excellent defender, as that class was once described.

3 Likes