Sym should have been kept as a support in her rework

sksksks and i oop and i oop i dropped my hydroflask

9 Likes

let me use the teleporter to help you sksks and I oop and I oop

5 Likes

They knew they didnt want her to be a healer they tried that and didnt like it

It was autolock it cant get more consistent than autolock outside of increasing the range or having it be 120 dps from the get go

She never had healing and when they tried giving it to her they didnt like it so they moved her to dps since the definition of a support now is a character who’s job is to heal somewhat consistently

But not a small british lass?

Let me rephrase, I just don’t think her primary should be beam-related at all. Perhaps some sort of light shard projectile

Can you link to this

She’s got a huge time machine strapped to her chest which completely protects her heart. I’d call that some form of armor. + her primary is harder to use

You can’t fool me, you just want to skip the DPS Queue!

2 Likes

Wouldnt really make it more consistent but cool idea

Sure

Yeah but that time machine is pretty much just as important as her heart since without it she starts fading out of existence and its completely on het center mass, also Symmetra be using hardlight armor to keep protected while staying fashionable

I meant in terms of damage. Not a fan of the beam ticks

Is this the only thing they tried?

Pretty sure that’s made up lol. If she showed a few more inches of leg I’m sure they would have upped the rating

why on earth would she be a support hero

1 Like

The only one we know of

It is, but it would explain why half her hp is shields rather than normal health, she has regenarating hardlight armor

These developers don’t have the capabilities to improve Symmetra’s shield support side. They ignored all feedback that could of worked, but nope with limited knowledge = a swap to dps land. The fate of creative unique kits with limited knowledge of knowing how to design it.

2 Likes

I wish they had made her into a support.

I remember being happy and furious when Brigitte released.

Happy because I really really wanted an off-tank/off-healer mixed character, and Brigitte delivered that fantasy perfectly.

Furious because Repair Pack was basically the best suggestion I remember people were giving about making Symmetra more of a healer. Ie, some kind of burst healing and overhealing with temporary shields. When I saw that I knew the devs would instead try to make the “turret healing” (terrible) idea their main focus, and she would inevitably end up as a defense hero.

I’m currently double furious because Sigma also stole all our ideas for improving on her old Photon Barrier, from being able to stop it on demand to making it a bit larger.

Now answering OP, I think Sombra and Symmetra should had been moved onto support roles and rebalanced as necessary. Mei and Doomfist should also move into tank and also be rebalanced as necessary. Blizzard releasing 222 with a role imbalance that big (50% of all characters on DPS) was their biggest mistake.

I would be 100% down for support Symmetra but for the record, the devs tried it while experimenting with her for the rework.

The major problem with support Sym, an actually well though-out support design, can be summed up in the following word: Brigitte.

Sym could have been reworked to be a proper mitigation anti-flank support without the obscene brawl potential and meta shatteringness that Brig brought.

Just as a start, Brig’s armor pack could have EASILY been Sym’s E ability to replace the old photon shield from 1.0, just using blue HP instead of armor.

Throw on a 25 shield aura, reworked sentries to be more anti-flank / "sentry"esque tied to right click instead of shift, current photon barrier as an ult, a changed leftclick, current TP, and boom! A hero.

7 Likes

We’ve been caught!

I have opened de wae

1 Like

No, because Blizzard wanted all Supports to be healers.

Well as long as she would keep her much more objectively superior 3.0 kit design along with some stat changes, then I would personally have no problem with her remaining in the Support role…

3 things with making Symmetra a support:

1. Teleporter to bring back allies from spawn was a supportive ult. Teleporter to teleport allies throughout the battlefield is a utility ability, and not necessarily supportive.
  2. Shields are primarily out of combat, so to have her depend on healing through regenerative shields, you’d need to have downtime be a viable strategy for your teammates.
  3. Damage is not a support thing unless there are drawbacks. Symmetra’s primary fire does have enough drawbacks to make it a support weapon, despite it requiring aim (Ana’s weapon requires aim as well).

That being said, here are 3 solutions for these problems:

1. Make teleporter an ultimate again. Instead of creating a teleporter pad at spawn, make it so the teleporter would bring you instantly to the outpad.
  2. Make shields that Symmetra offers temporary. This way, there is no need to rely on shield regeneration.
  3. You can make Symmetra a support despite having her damage the way it is. The idea of this itself is a solution.

BUT LOVE, WHAT ABOUT HEALING

Blizzard wants each support hero a way to heal in a unique fashion. Having Symmetra heal with a passive aura would overlap with Lucio. Having her heal with an aura that activates with her weapon would overlap with Brigitte. So you’d have to have her healing be more unique. My solution would have her healing be based on positioning, rather than activation. Similar to Hammond’s adaptive shield, have her heal her allies the more that are around her. This would make her playstyle require people to group up, and would solidify her bunker archetype.

Here is the concept:

Hardlight Regenerator - An ultimate ability alternative to teleporter (since we all know that teleporter sucks at point B defense)

A permanent ultimate that heals X amount every 2 seconds, multiplied by the amount of allies around it. It would basically be a healing shield generator. Bunker? We don’t know her until now.

Microphone drop, good day