Sym mains please read: Clarity of my opinion on 3.0

I have defended 3.0 endlessly on these forums. Counterarguing against many fellow Symmetra mains about her viability and identity as a hero. I want it to be very clear that I am NOT your enemy and you are not mine.

I like 3.0 more than 2.0 because they expanded on aspects of her that I liked, removed aspects I didn’t, and put some spins on her that made her feel fresh but familiar

But I still liked 2.0 and wouldn’t mind having her back either. I genuinely, honestly, legitimately, and redundantly believe that 3.0 is an upgrade to 2.0 in terms of viability as a hero in general, but that doesn’t mean I don’t miss 2.0 to some degree.

I miss dancing around people with the no-aim beam, I miss shield generator, those were aspects of her kit I greatly enjoyed. But you know what? I also enjoy the fast explosive Orbs of 3.0, and the enormous flashy wall, and TP hopping back and forth to piss off the enemy Orisa

There is no perfect compromise here, Symmetra is symmetra no matter what you think she should be.

Now, it is my bias that we should keep 3.0 since I personally like this iteration of her more than 2.0, but I don’t disregard your longing for the old version.

But putting my bias aside, this is what we have to work with now. And just for once, I want my favorite hero, no matter what her kit looks like, to have proper viability in the meta. Can we put aside this divide for a while and focus on making her viable before we focus on anything else?

And I know you might want to say "reverting her will make her more viable!!! " and honestly… if that’s all you have to say then I don’t want to hear your input on Symmetra. I want to this hero to be strong, i want to be respected by non-sym mains on the battlefield.

Symmetra has always been a weird unconventional hero and she always will be, instead of fighting over what version of her was better, why not just buff her

29 Likes

I like some aspects of 3.0 too like the throwable turrets and the new ult, that could be given to Symmetra as a third ult making her viable on many other situations but personally i dont like this rework. I still think Symmetra is situational, map dependent and now with the new tp, team reliant wich is a big change and created more problems (not everyone gets a team who wants to comunicate and do not see her as a troll pick, that unfortunately doesn’t happen that often). I love Symmetra and i want her to be viable and fun to play because none of that happens currently, at least 2.0 was much more fun.

4 Likes

I am not a Symmetra main; however, I wish we could go back to Symmetra 1.0 as a base and rework her into more of a support. That would be my dream scenario as I always wanted to play her and regret not spending more time with 1.0. She was a just a first point defense monster and I had a lot of heroes I enjoyed playing on first point defense. If I could go back, I would just one-trick her in that context.

In general, I feel she always appealed to players who wanted to support the team without heals. Turning her into a DPS was a mistake in my opinion.

2 Likes

I really have to question how much someone knows about Symmetra if they honestly think this. 2.0 was objectively a poor hero.

5 Likes

Im glad she has a new ult her old TP and SG were bad for a game like this anything stationary for long periods of time to do its job with high costs to create = BAD!

What really hurts is they gutted her they took 2 things core to her that only she could do and removed them one was her shield piercing orbs that was something unique to her and now she just has a slightly larger and slower pharah rocket. the other thing is the removal of lockon that was her counter aspect she countered dive squishies now she doesn’t counter anything by herself and no her turrets don’t count she should be able to counter something not some autonomous thing she has no control over.

i like both 2.0 and 3.0 equally, but currently i think 3.0s greatest weakness is that without her shield she is very vulnerable now and often times cant use her primary fire. While the speed boost to her secondary is very nice its less impactful now that it explodes instead of going through people and shields imo. I think giving her more survivability is whats most needed

This rework needs bug fixes, inconsistencies addressed and some minor buffs, QoL changes here and there and she’d be in a really good spot.

But Blizzard doesn’t think so. At least not yet which is troubling and not giving me much hope at this rate.

See my issue with this rework is that people will still hate on you and report you for simply picking Symmetra. They think that you’re contributing nothing and or throwing the match by selecting her even though Symmetra has been reworked to be the glue to bond a team together with incredible mobility from Teleporter and a solid counter / pressure to enemy barrier users such as Reinhardt and Orisa.

Symmetra is a catalyst for her team but all it takes is one person to decide:

“You know what I hate you for picking Symmetra. I’m going to throw and not work with you at all and then blame the loss on you you -insert any derogatory term-”

Like I can legit swap off to healer and I still get all the hate even though Blizzard reworked Symmetra into a SOLID TEAM WORK BASED HERO and try to UTILIZE TEAMWORK I still get hate.

Which signals major issues with the community more than anything.

2 Likes

Sym 2.0 countered poor teamwork

Sym 3.0 relies on teamwork

Winrate on sym 2.0 70%

Winrate on sym 3.0 29%

I enjoyed sym 2.0 much more than her current iteration. I love the throwable turrets though I thought that was a great change

1 Like

3.0 also counters poor teamwork.

Every character is good with less teamwork it’s just sym 2.0 countered it completely

It’s a fairly useless thing then. That’s just say “she did best against bad teams”.

How often do you get good teams?

Competitive is not OWL

3.0 is way to far superior. Its a good rework, please stop with the Revert threads, this is suspiciously getting annoying like Mercy revert threads.

2 Likes

I guess a good amount, but it doesn’t change my point. Claiming a character was best at going against a team that is bad isn’t a good thing.

Im saying they are different hero’s a revert is a stupid idea I just would enjoy having the old kit back as a different character

I was a Symmetra main. Not anymore with 3.0.
While she’s more strong now, I lack the defensive skills I had (Photon Barrier) and I feel like a potato. 2.0 was very niche, but really strong where she was useful.

Yeah. Her kit felt like a tank in my opinion but she lacked the health for it. I legitimately hope that they bring back elements of it if they make a new tank hero.

1 Like

I solo queue so our matches might be very different. But solo queue sym 3.0 is a nightmare. I enjoy 3.0 a lot but having to rely that all five of my teammates will group up and follow me is not feasible. Sym 3.0 has her moments but when it doesn’t work it is a terrible experience.

I got to the point of sym 2.0 where it didn’t even matter what my team picked I could enjoy the game and do really well.

1 Like

That’s sort of a good way of putting it her kit is like a tank but without the health. The thing is she also had a very small hitbox which had to be abused while playing sym 2.0

I really enjoyed the utility a tank can bring I just hate being a massive target

1 Like

Symmetra 3.0 over symm 2 .0 has one main pro: No longer symm has large windows of time where she provides no damage or value. This is the main upgrade symm 3.0 has and that is because of the throwable turrets and the new orbs