SVB says that matchmaking is bad. what are your opinions?

how would you rate the state of the game right now?

what about competitive specifically?

personally i think it’s great in most respects except for comp rigged matchmaking /rating systems being very inaccurate

players often aren’t “where they belong” evidenced by the many multiple cases including my own

6 Likes

I don’t think the ranking system is particularly good by any means but I do 100% believe that a lot of the issues people have with it are either overstated, overexaggerated or come from misunderstanding.

In short, it could be better but it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.

10 Likes

i know this only happens because the player base is dying but my only issue with the matchmaker is that it’s possible to get people you can’t queue with in your games. If the game won’t let me q with a plat player then I don’t want too see a plat tank or a t500+diamond tank pairing in a master game.

This is not a thing if you play enough games. I’m pretty sure you got boosted if you can’t get out of plat. Every time I’ve played a new acc my winrate in plat is 70%+. As a tank main yours should be even higher if you were actually master, that’s literally the carry role.

6 Likes

I think it all goes back to distribution.

In general people are not dumb. People may not try hard, but on average people are not idiots.

And not “people” but folks willing to pay $60 and be introduced to a “puzzle”. That barrier will surprise many that these folks actually are above 80 IQ. And yet it only “clicks” with very few, or you “have to group” to get out of gold / plat?

somthing is wrong.

Either you think the system is working as intended - your wrong for a healthy game or the system is wrong, and it needs to be corrected.

The video is demonstrating how the game is dying… nothing there.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but I found it mindbending to read/comprehend what you’re saying. And I still don’t get it.

2 Likes

Didn’t this guy just recently release a video saying smurfs WEREN’T a problem?

1 Like

I wonder if people are going to flood this thread telling SVB to “git gud” and dismiss all his claims as unfounded.

1 Like

No clue about everyone else, but I’m fine with it all. Probably because I play tank so I get like 30 second queues and usually get balanced teams

2 Likes

So correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like you’re saying that because the game is largely picked up by people who enjoy this type of game, most if not all of those people deserve to climb high? And the fact that people are getting stuck as low as gold is evidence that the system isn’t working?

Because, if so, that’s not really how any of this works.

SR, and any ELO system really, is 100% relative to playing community. This is because any given match is against other comminity members. You’re not going against precoded bots that set some arbitrary level of difficulty that most players should be able to get past. You’re going against actual players. It doesn’t matter how good or smart you are compared to someone who doesn’t play, if you are just an average player within the currently active community, you will find yourself at the average rank. Being stuck in gold or plat when you’re traditionally good at FPS games doesn’t mean you’re bad or the system is rigged/borked, it just means everyone around you is equally good.

2 Likes

Think of it this way.

1. A gm player shouldn’t be gm based on the characters they play.

something is wrong there

1. If I’m better than average in other fps I shouldn’t be stuck in average here.

It means there is something too difficult here that requires me to have a team to prove I’m not average.

1. My theory: there should be a double bump curve. One for average casuals and one for average gamers. One bell curve means your dumping casuals and gamers together = some toxic stuff you see. One bell curve where the peak is low means something is wrong.

Again, you folks can act like I’m saying something illogical but to me the proof is people leaving.

Ideally you want more high level play. You don’t want or need “gameleap” for average info. You want those services for masters to get to gm.

You want a perfect system and people leaving cause of the “new thing” not out of frustration.

1 Like

People are leaving because of no new content. Almost 2 years without a new hero and almost 3 without a new comp map.

4 Likes

This we can agree on.

A true GM should be because they have superior skill, not just because they picked the right hero.

This is why things like balance and PBSR are so important to get right. Simply selecting a hero shouldn’t give you an inherent advantage, and even when you do choose a “good” hero, you should still have to prove you’re legitimately good at the hero and aren’t just being carried.

Now, is this a problem in OW?
Maybe? Kinda sorta? Used to be bad with Mercy or Brig, I think it’s largely sorted out by now, partially because the meta is being played in all tiers, so no individual tier is at a disadvantage.

Not necessarily. Think of it this way:

Say we have someone who is a Mercy one trick, and a really good one at that. They can consistently hold their own in GM and has even been in T500 a few times. Now imagine that person decides to get a new account where they one trick Widow instead. Does this person deserve to go straight to GM on this alt?

Most people would probably say no. While there is some overlap in skills, how they’re applied is completely different, not to mention most would agree that Widow is tougher to play in general.

The ladder works the same way. You might do well in a different game, but at the end of the day this game is its own unique beast to conquer with its own unique challenges, tricks, and community. And with a different community, the bar for “average” is going to be different as well. No one “deserves” a higher rank just because they can stomp 12 year olds in Fortnite or something.

One could argue the first curve is in bronze/silver where casuals just play and sorta do their own thing. The second is in plat, and once you get over that hump into diamond you start being respected as a “good player”.

Thing is, this all happens on the same ladder, so the two curves are foing to clash somewhere in the middle, ie gold. Thats where you’ll have the upper portion of the casuals and the bottom portion of the gamers coming together and “breeding toxicity”. There’s always going to be that conflict between the two curves unless they are 100% distinct and separate (which, admittedly, is what QP is supposed to be for, but we can’t force people into one box or another).

Also, even if there is just one curve, it isn’t low. Gold/Plat is smack dab in the middle of it all, which is where you’d expect the curve to be. That doesn’t change just because you rate yourself higher than everyone else.

How the system works and complaints about it have been largely the same since season 1. People have only been leaving recently due to burnout, something that’s bound to happen when you don’t have any major updates in years. Doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong with the game, its just getting old.

And high level play is in the higher levels. Not sure why you’d expect high level play at the average.

6 Likes

Because some forum members think themselves exceptional when the truth is usually quite the opposite.

4 Likes

Matchmaker punishes you when you stack.
Furthermore there is the hidden mmr system.
Imagine a ranked ladder with SR only without a hidden algorithm calculating mates and enemies.
But thats SO 2016 before all the matchmaking patents like SBMM and EOMM made by activision.

2 Likes

GREAT
I’m having a lot of fun both alone and with friends, slowly but steadily getting better thanks to a lot of great feedback from some great players!
The other day I got a spectacular headshot on a “low level high skill player” (wink wink) on Busan and it felt amazing, I was getting rolled all the game, but it felt amazing anyway (same as beating a souls boss the first time xD).
Damn, I love this game!

5 Likes

In terms of balance?
One of the worst states.
In terms of fun also.

4 Likes

Matchmaking is poor these days. Not necessarily its design, but the lack of decent players. There’s not much reason to keep competitively playing Overwatch these days. Most people have moved onto other games. Leaving us with the smurfs, QP casuals and the toxic minority that hold too much of their self worth in a virtual number.

Have you looked at the Top 500 leaderboards lately? The game is on a decline. Everyone that plays competitively is moving on.

5 Likes

At the majority “people are figuring out abilities and cool downs” aka silver-gold.

At my job I use to do a lot of work automation, and the idea is you don’t want people thinking about low level tasks, you want them thinking at high levels. The goal here is, if you have more higher level games you have a better evolution of strats.

Wow what a dig at an objective topic. I’ll say again. If the game had the ideal distribution but I found my self in the casual bucket, at least Ideally people around me wouldn’t be toxic.

1 Like

Silver/Gold IS the “casual bucket”. Stop coping.

3 Likes

As someone who actually made the journey from Gold to GM on Tank, yeah you’ll climb to where you belong if you play enough. But… it’s still going to take forever on certain heroes.

Look at Shock’s three days of streaming Unranked to GM Reinhardt only. And then he did it again with an old account that was properly Platinum, so it didn’t have the “new account more sr per win” bonus. Took him over 45 games and he was still in Diamond at that point iirc.

6 Likes