Suspended for playing Torbjorn

I like the new torb and enjoy playing him, but people seem to rage from the start whenever I pick him. I lost count on how many times I’ve read “report torbjorn” on chat and that finally seemed to have an effect, because I was suspended for a day.
I never throw games, never flame and have a positive win rate on the hero. Even when people flame me I never answer, just report and block.
So why have I been suspended? There’s no reason left other than playing Torbjorn. If playing a specific hero can get you banned, then please blizzard add this rule somewhere, because my suspension looks pretty arbitrary right now.

Ps: I’ll keep playing what I like. If that gets me banned, I’ll just uninstall and move to something else.

18 Likes

Sorry to say but, the discussion of account actions is NOT permitted on the forums per the forum Code-of-Conduct. I won’t speculate why you were suspended, but in most reports like yours, I have seen the users often makes the excuse of their hero picks to actually be toxic. (Click here for an example.)

If you have been silenced, suspended, or banned from Overwatch, you need to handle the matter with Blizzard by starting an appeal ticket. By starting an appeal ticket, a game master will review your account and will either overturn the ban or provide reasons for why the ban is enforced.

3 Likes

report system does nothing but ban off meta players

13 Likes

Hush, either contribute to the thread or buzz off. People want to play Torbjorn and not get banned; Would like to see genji getting suspended for troll pick one day, that would make my day. :robot:

11 Likes

Exactly. Why did blizzard even bother with the torbjorn’s rework if you’re not allowed to play him in competitive?

2 Likes

He warned the OP that he’s breaking ToS, which can lead to further penalty.

What, exactly, is wrong with that?

6 Likes

I got suspended for playing brigitte only :frowning:

Funny thing is I got 2 friends that literally throw every day for HOURS (they started at diamond and they are bronze now) and nothing happened to them.

I was playing brigitte 1 trick without comms, with a 70%+ winrate and climbing real crazy and when I hit diamond I got suspended.

After that I just picked whatever for a while, not caring about anything. Then stopped playing that account.

4 Likes

Sadly, many people file false reports, and Blizzard is not generally investigating reports to determine which are false and which are legit

As a result, a lot of innocent folks are getting suspended while those who submit false reports are getting away with it

I am confident that Blizzard will at some point start to address this, as it is in their best interests, but what I dont understand is why they are still not doing so, many months after the problem became quite evident

5 Likes

Half of the problem seems to be game masters not understanding or not even reading tickets by those actioned against

leading to more issues

4 Likes

Contribute to the thread or you can leave if you want, he got banned for an unjust reason and deserves to be able to talk about it.

9 Likes

First, new torbjorn sucks. And I know because I loved him to, before…

Second, the reporting system is dumb as anything. All characters should be viable in the game and if they aren’t, its Blizzards fault, not a players.

But the reporting system does get players to blame each other for Blizzard’s inability to balance characters. And sure enough, people fall for it.

2 Likes

to be fair - WM is in my opinion the most honest and caring forum member I know of, and I respect him above all others

but

I do disagree with him on his statements regarding how banning is handled by Blizzard

4 Likes

If you notice, he’s not giving his opinion on how they handle it. He’s simply providing people a recommendation on what their best chance for a positive outcome is going to be, and providing a basis for why it isn’t the best approach to make forum posts about it.

I don’t like it, either, but WM is spot on with the information he’s provided. He has carefully chosen his words to remain neutral on the issue.

2 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t really care about the report system. I got suspended for playing Hanzo. I got 53 elims and we still lost, so they reported me. I was then suspended.

5 Likes

In clarification: He has done so in at least one other thread concerning this same topic (unjust automated bans)

Ahh, my bad. I assumed it was based upon this thread alone. My apologies.

Carry on. :stuck_out_tongue:

no problem, I should have been more clear in the statement you replied to

I don’t really care if my forum account gets suspended or the thread gets locked. I just want a a response from blizzard to my question: is playing a specific hero bannable?

3 Likes

This is exactly what CONTRADICTS Blizzards stance about “Players can play what they want”. Someone who is playing what they want, probably being an effective Torb, and still getting suspended purely because people dislike his hero pick.

I love the new Torb too. The same thing happened to me on my other account when the Sym rework finally hit!!. I was suspended just because I was playing Sym, I ended up getting 64 elims and 35k damage, and people assumed that I was a troll/one-trick based purely on their prior experiences before the rework.

The report system needs a serious rework.

2 Likes

It is not,i had the same thing. Just open livechat with a GM and get unbanned.