Suspended for "Applying Update" screen

The game client gets stuck on “Applying Update” before loading the game.

This has resulted in players being kicked from competitive games and receiving a suspension, while their client is bricked from a bug caused by (you) Blizzard.

Accountability for this bug is the first step. That includes acknowledging any suspensions caused by this bug.

Additionally, fixing the bug should be the next step. This bug completely bricks the client, forcing anyone stuck on the aforementioned screen to force-close the game and restart.

5 Likes

I had the same issue. It was only a 15 min ban so I didn‘t care too much but it still sucks.

This happened to a friend. (Could have just as easily been me)

We were in the same game, it started, but they seemed to not join. My friend asks if I am in an “Applying Update” screen. They never left the game.

After about 30 seconds, the match is canceled. They receive a 15 minute ban for an issue that was entirely not their fault. On principle, this is unacceptable.

Regardless of the imposed punishment, there should be no punishment for something that isn’t their fault.

1 Like

I agree. I just had the same issue. It has never happened to me before and I queued for Competitive and was stuck on the applying Update screen. I had to force close the game and I received the suspension. People shouldn’t be punished for an issue with the server.

Another game that punishes those for issues not their own, is Smite. People get banned for hours for “leaving” a game. I would hate to see Blizzard do this. In OW1 you also lost ranking. Does this happen in OW2?

Just happened to me not to long ago as well ://

Please resolve Blizzard. Now I am suspended for one hour. This is the second time this week!

this actually JUST happened to me in que for a comp game, never actually loaded just had the blue banner “applying updates”, I could see the blurry background of the banner screen was the que screen and I did see I got an in-game message assumably an AFK warning message even though I never actually loaded into a game.

Just happened again for me. This is the second time this week, now suspended for an hour.

Same happened to me for the third time this week, is their a solution to this?? I have been suspended for 8 hours this time and I’m taking a break from ranked now till their is an update on this.

yup just got hit with a "appying update as well

You are not alone in experiencing this bug. Here’s a link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I put your thread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban. Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues.

me quitaron 75 de exp por esta porqueria

Good news: the Applying Update bug has been addressed by a community manager. Link here: [Main Thread] Applying Update - #148 by Joynueer.