Suspended after not being able to connect to competitive match

This is super frustrating. I queue up for comp and I endlessly get stuck in the “joining game” screen. After being stuck I get suspended, if the game doesn’t connect it’ll kick me for inactivity when im not even in the game. I also cannot leave and rejoin because it happens at the start of the match! This is the second time and now I am suspended for an hour.

1 Like

Hey there, the symptom you describe is consistent with severe latency issues with your connection to the game servers. This can be caused to issues either within your own home network or externally between you and the game server. First make sure everything in your home network is setup and running smoothly. I see that you are both a PC and a PlayStation 4 player so I will link specific troubleshooting guides appropriately that you should go through first.

Troubleshooting Connection Issues on PC (Battle.net)

Troubleshooting Connection Issues on Consoles

Remember when you go back to test your connection, be sure to only stick with either Quick Play or Arcade game modes. Competitive Penalties cannot be reversed for any reason. If you find that after working through those troubleshooting guides that you are still having issues we can help you work through specific steps to test your connection and figure out where the problem is. Be sure to reply with exactly which platform you are using and confirm that you have worked through the troubleshooting guides.

I now have this issue as well and there’s another report in the bug channel. I don’t think it’s a user-side issue as WoW and other games are working fine for me.

Customs don’t seem to be an issue with joining as well.

1 Like

I played Dota also perfectly fine today too… (So not a pc or internet issue)

I also Tested my latency and connection before comping, it is honestly not the pc (Coming from a person who knows her PC inside out.)

Howdy Niexie,

To clarify, it’s completely possible for there to be a connection or routing issue that is only affecting Overwatch. In these cases it can help to provide a WinMTR test so we can see what’s happening on the specific route to the Overwatch servers, which may be having problems that the route to the Dota servers doesn’t have.

1. Download WinMTR (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 64 bit version.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe as Admin
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    Note: You will want to leave the colon and last 5 digits at the end off and only use the first four set of digits (for example, 24.105.13.114 in the screenshot without the :26535).
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

Note: Break links by adding a space before .com/.net, so you can post them. If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

I’m having this issue as well. Here’s mine:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                  dsldevice.attlocal.net -    0 |  254 |  254 |    0 |    0 |   10 |    0 |
|                               45.18.8.1 -    0 |  254 |  254 |    1 |    5 |   29 |    6 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   52 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                           12.123.34.226 -    0 |  254 |  254 |   11 |   15 |   19 |   12 |
|                           12.122.28.125 -    0 |  254 |  254 |   11 |   15 |   19 |   15 |
|                           12.123.43.197 -    0 |  254 |  254 |   11 |   11 |   13 |   12 |
|                            12.247.68.74 -    0 |  254 |  254 |   11 |   16 |   89 |   12 |
|              ae1-br01-eqat2.as57976.net -    0 |  254 |  254 |   32 |   36 |  118 |   47 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   52 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|         et-0-0-1-pe01-eqch2.as57976.net -    0 |  254 |  254 |   31 |   34 |   96 |   33 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I’ll try this. But the issue only happened once. It isn’t a recurring issue. I played games before and after when the issue occurred.

Im playing on pc and im wired in. I also played Quick Play for a couple hours today and last night and nothing happened. When i went into my 4th Quick Play game today it didnt connect. After saying joining game it took me back to the main menu and allowed me to rejoin. It still registered that i left though when i got back in so it terminated the match and i got an 8 hour ban. Even though i still joined as soon as i could.

You should not be getting Competitive bans if you are playing quick play.

That was a mistype on my part. I was trying to say my 4th game of competitive, but i had been playing hours of Quick Play prior. This issue seems to only happen in competitive.

Competitive can kick you out if the connection is not stable yes. So at this point I recommend running some WinMTR tests while in quick play or a custom game and post the results here to see if any connection issues are present.