Supernatural powers in lore

Can we call sigma’s gravity skills and reaper’s darkness as superpowers?

Unlike other characters, they doesn’t seem to have any gadget or items that helps them fight

Same as doomfist. He’s super strong if he can lift up that gauntlet so easily, even tho i wont classify it as a super power.

Some people said that hanzo and genji’s dragons were fake, but after sigma i don’t think it’s impossible for them to be actual spirits at this point.

1 Like

i read on the lore forums that genji’s and hanzo’s dragons could be hard light like what sym works with. “only a shimada can control the dragons”, maybe the tech they use is super high secret and only available to the shimadas? in the cinematic hanzo’s dragons seem to be channeled through his tattoo, so maybe they’re connected somehow?

reaper is (i think) confirmed to have been experimented on by moira, so while him turning into black mist (and being able to teleport) seems a bit magic-y theres supposedly some ‘science’ behind it (+ moira uses a similar tech with her fade)

doomfist just got enhanced by cybernetics i don’t think it’s unplausible that he just added some points to his strength

what i don’t get though is how zenyatta floats w/out any visible means and without making any noise

2 Likes

He is shown standing in the OW2 behind the scenes, so that’s probably just for gameplay.

1 Like

He’s a butterfly

1 Like

Its not the incorrect term, but I personally think superpower has the wrong connotation. When I hear that word, I think of things like the X-Men, Dr. Strange, Superman, etc. The Overwatch heroes are on a much smaller scale than that, and also more grounded and science based rather than alien, mystical or mutations. But that’s probably just a me thing.

Doomfist has a lot of cybernetic augmentations. I wouldn’t call that superpowers. Its no more superpowers than Genji.

Sigma is a science based accident. Spirits are magic. There is no magic in Overwatch (which is where I was getting at from my previous problem with the term and its connotations.)

Also, the dragons seem to appear and behave extremely similarily to Symmetra’s orbs.

Lots of things float in Overwatch, I don’t worry about it much. There are many things with those boosters below them, but there are also many things (notably a couple payloads) that don’t have those floaty levrims or whatever on them that keep them afloat.

He is shown floating in Reflections, so its definitely not just gameplay.

4 Likes

I hope this doesn’t get retconned or treated as a continuity error. It allows one to question just exactly what Omnics are, and if the material they are made out of are more animate than meets the eye.

I feel like they’ve kind of given up on being based in reality, for gameplay. “Supernatural” abilities allow for much much more creative freedom. I do hope they’ll always try to stick to reality as much as possible

1 Like

There’s also the matter of the Iris. Some enigmatic religious/magical force that seems to provide some sort of power to Zenyatta, as well as presenting itself to Orisa.

But, while I could see the Iris as simply being some sort of vast, cloud-based code, its effect on the real world are very close to supernatural. How could the Iris have a tangible effect on the world if it has no creator to design a mechanism to do so?

Although, Zen’s abilities in-game and in-lore may differ greatly. But for some reason, I doubt that’s the case.

2 Likes

I hope Zen’s transcendence is made canon. He could combo trans with Mercy’s Rez to ensure nobody is too far gone to be saved.

1 Like

The Iris is huge
Masteriangamer suggested that maybe sigma’s ability to control gravity have something to do with The Iris. unfortunately he didn’t explained it
And wants to create a video about it in some time, but i think i can guess what he is going to say…
Maybe iris can give you the power to control gravity?
Just the way zenyatta floats?
It would be super cool if Iris affected humans too

That sounds like senseless click bait. There is nothing to suggest that the two are linked.

1 Like