"Stuck on applying update" since Anniversary Update 2020 (HF-5, HF-1, etc)

alright i was finally able to get it to fix.

my anti virus required ANOTHER update after the one i did previously, and it required a reboot. after that, my game works normally.

so, make sure your anti-virus isn’t pending another update and reboot after that update. it might help.

3 Likes

Glad an update worked for you. I did recommend that players try disabling their antivirus to see if it’s blocking the install. Whenever the game client updates, it’s viewed as a “new app” by Windows or antivirus in some situations. So the same whitelisting/permissions need to be added to allow the install.

1 Like

guys i don’t know, but with the last update of my antivirus I wasdesactivated the protection and my game its work normal again :smiley: I hope you all fix your error (I used “eset nod 32”)

1 Like

The same thing has been happening to me too

1 Like

Wait at the main menu for 30 minutes. If you get HF-501 error you’re internet is just too slow. Applying update will work if you don’t get HF-501 error.

1 Like

Hey y’all,

Updating this thread title to get more people here. We’re going to make this the main thread for the error codes mentioned above.

Some folks have mentioned that setting up their phone as a mobile hotspot, or using a VPN client, allows them to download the missing data. Does that allow you to work around this?

2 Likes

so with using a vpn am i soposto stay in the lobby for 30 mins or just load into a mach or something?

Just try to load into a match and see if it works.

1 Like

i just attempted to use a hot spot but it didint work
so do you know of a free vpn?

Any updates on this? I’ve uninstalled 3 times, deleted every file associated with OW, everything is up to date. I’m missing out on the whole Anniversary event because of this.

2 Likes

Im playing on ps4pro ,just updated and it stucks on applying update for a few seconds then error ,disconnected hf-504,then hf-2,im trying yo go practice range
Please im so hyped i just bought mercy dragon skin

1 Like

i have not gotten anything to work yet tbh

1 Like

You guys gotten anything to work? I’ve tried every fix on this thread and from a few other threads and not much luck. There was a fix that worked for a day where you enabled the secondary logon service on windows but beyond that no luck.

2 Likes

I tried to make a unique thread because unlike everyone else here, I can’t even get into the game in the first place. The update straight-up refuses to install, it makes no progress for a few minutes and then gives me an error. Trying to scan + repair also does nothing besides giving me an error. I can’t uninstall the game either, every time I try nothing happens, and my computer for some reason won’t let me manually delete the files from my hard drive. I’m completely, 100% shut out from the game and no suggestions I’ve read are working. It’s beyond frustrating.

2 Likes

What AV do you use? I just use Windows Defender.

2 Likes

i do but when i disabled it it didint work

1 Like

We’ve got the devs looking into this but nothing we tested works consistently so far. Has anyone tested a VPN, and if so, did it work? As we do not make VPN clients and there are a ton out there with different features, privacy policies, bandwidth limitations, etc, you’d need to look up one online to find the best one for you.

2 Likes

Hey there,

Just poppin’ in to say I’ve been having the same issue since day one of the anniversary event. When I try entering any type of match - whether it’s QP/practice/custom - I still get the applying update message followed minutes later by the HF5 error code.

I’ve tried all the methods suggested in this thread to fix it but nothing works for me either. It’s a real bummer.

My router recently died, so I’ve had no choice but to use mobile hotspot for gaming. Most of the time I don’t experience any problems when using hotspot, until now.

I’m unsure of what to do anymore… :frowning:

1 Like

I use mobile hotspot too,but its NAT type 2,

A lot of mobile connections don’t have enough bandwidth to download very large update files like this, or they may have temporary limits on file size to keep network congestion down. These are part of why mobile connections don’t meet the system requirements for Overwatch.