"Stuck on applying update" since Anniversary Update 2020 (HF-5, HF-1, etc)

:frowning: That sucks. Thanks for also letting people know what didn’t work to save them some time. I’m hoping this thread gets attention soon to get a fix.

1 Like

ya same… i was really hyped up for today but i havent been able to play

1 Like

Same, I uninstalled and reinstalled, same problem. It sucks, because I see tons of people on my friends’ list on but I can’t play w/ them. Off to another IP for tonight I guess…

2 Likes

I know right there nothing we can do But think about it this way at least we can still get skins with the credits we saved up went ahead an got myself lifeguard mcree an grafiti tracer But it dose suck that this isnt getting any attention many people have this bug id say 0.01% an with how big their player base it its alot

2 Likes

Ya… hopefuly they fix it soon i want to play some comp and climb…

1 Like

That error means there’s a local install issue, has nothing to do with the servers.

1 Like

how do you repair it?

1 Like

i tried it out and when it got repaired it scaned it said no problems found so could i have deleted it incorectly cuase it still dosent work

yeah we all have already tried this we even reinstalled we went into local app data we have done everything an nothing is working

3 Likes

Thank you for just now giving this some attention many people on here have had this happen but nothing you have said has worked for us we have done everything from deleting the folder in local app data the reinstalling blizzard an the game nothing is working we need a fix fast we really want too play you all game because now is the time too do it with all the skins available the loot boxes too gain the player base is raising so faster ques but us? we cant we have this same bug over an over again an it honestly just it making me and Im sure lots of others bummed we need a fix now!

Edit: And with covid we cant contact the support team its way too unrealistic too expect someone too wait that long for probably no response from anyone that knows how too help

4 Likes

I’m a volunteer and I don’t work at Blizzard.

I’ve learned from reading staff responses on the forum, as well as the support documentation (the one I linked), that this issue is caused by a local configuration problem. Server errors are quite specific and say things like “server error” in their message. Additionally, this problem doesn’t seem very widespread.

Other tips I can suggest are:

• Double-check the directory where Overwatch is being updated/installed.
  • Make sure your drive has enough space for the install.
  • Disable any antivirus or malware apps that might be blocking access to the directory.
  • Disable services that sync your folders, like OneDrive or Dropbox, which can sometimes block additional apps from writing to those folders. (see this)
  • Diable any proxies or VPNs.
  • Change your DNS to Google’s 8.8.8.8, or another free DNS.

Their team is also suffering from working around COVID restrictions etc, and sometimes waiting for a ticket response is your only option.

3 Likes

So all we can do is just use the tips you gave us (which I have tried most of them with no luck) and just wait for it too fix its self

1 Like

with all do respect I am thankful for your help its just nothings working and we dont know what too do I can try support but they wont get back too me in at least a week which is way too long beacuse of the timed event I mean Me an a decent bit of players are in a huge pinch an there is just nothing we can do

1 Like

I can officially say Ive done every single thing on that list with no luck Ive scrolling through forums trying too help people with this cause though you say it isnt very wide spread there is at least 50 people I have seen just on forums alone with this problem sure thats probably not much in the whole player base but the point Im trying too make is people have this problem people want too play the game but they just cant Ive tried everything you said. Nothing worked an im sure others have tried as well what are we expected too do?

2 Likes

ya i saw some guy on reddit with the same problem

I’ve also been looking through the forums for recent reports and only see four threads since the event started mentioning this issue. The lack of posts suggests it is not widespread, and perhaps you and other posters here have something in common. Whether it’s your ISP, a piece of hardware you all share, a common application… I have no way of knowing those things. And I’m afraid trying to collect all that data in one thread is way too messy.

I really do think your best option is to open a ticket to see if the staff is able to pinpoint another problem. Who knows, maybe in the meantime, they will have some information to share here… I can’t tell the future :crystal_ball:

Also, I recommend consolidating your posts into one reply. Continually replying to yourself could be seen as spam by the forum software, plus, you’re pinging everyone in the thread with each reply.

1 Like

I initially tried the uninstall & reinstall with no luck. However, I did your process and it worked!

1. Press Win+R
  2. type %localappdata%
  3. Open Blizzard Entertainment folder and open it.
    –heads up, mine had a “Blizzard” folder and a "Blizzard Entertainment folder.
  4. Find Overwatch Folder and delete it.
  5. Open your Blizzard launcher and go to the Overwatch page.
  6. Just above the advertising/news windows is an options cogwheel, click it.
  7. Several options will drop down such as forums, patch notes, and so on. Click “Scan and Repair.”
  8. The launcher says it may take 5-30 minutes, mine took 5 minutes or less.

Thanks for your help Nicole!

2 Likes

Tried the scan and repair with no result but tried something else that seemed to work.

Go to Program files, click Overwatch, click retail, delete the Cache folder. Then I just restarted the bnet launcher, launched the game and it let me load into training area where it wouldn’t before.

edit: closed the game, and did a qp match with everything still working. Hoping it helps y’all too. GL!

2 Likes

After letting the patch try and download overnight, still stuck at about 50%, troubleshoots haven’t worked either :frowning:

1 Like