Stop trying to nerf Reaper

Look, I don’t mean to be rude here, but if you are seriously asking for reaper nerfs, you’re either a really bad main tank, or a naïve off tank.

EVERY SINGLE main tank can kill reaper. Orisa has fortify and range, Sigma has insanely high damage, kinetic grasp and accretion, and Reinhardts hammer can kill reaper with minimal team support.

And if you’re an off tank crying for reaper nerfs… D.va, Winston and Hammond do minimal damage and all have abilities to easily retreat from reaper. You are not meant to engage him.

And if you’re a Zarya or hog asking for a reaper nerf idek what to tell you, because those 2 can easily kill him.

And let me make something very clear to everyone on these forums right now; YOUR TEAM FAILING TO HELP YOU AGAINST REAPER DOES NOT MEAN HE’S OP. If your team even remotely helps you damage him, he’s forced to retreat with no kill because HIS LIFESTEAL is not enough to keep him from dying while being shot by 2 people.

You nerf his lifesteal to make him 1v1able by tanks, then what is even the point of him? As well, that nerfs his ability to get ANY lifesteal off of smaller hitbox targets.

People seem to forget that reaper is not good. His ult can be out healed and is countered by everything; boops, stuns, any form of cc, his guns still have ridiculous random spread, shadow step still doesn’t do much in any rank above gold, and wraith form, his “almighty escape ability” can be followed extremely easily.

With this in mind, stop calling for reaper nerfs. Get better as a main tank player, because you CAN 1v1 him. And if you’re like a dive tank…DON’T ENGAGE HIM. YOU WON’T WIN.

Compared to Mei, who essentially counters half the game, and doomfist, who can not only do what reaper does but also get out unscathed, reaper is nothing. People who complain about Reaper are mainly in low ranks meaning 1. They blame everything but themselves, 2. They can’t aim well, and 3. Their team won’t play together, all counters to reaper.

I’ve mained reaper forever, and I’m not about to have my character ruined and thrown back into obscurity again because a bunch of wussy tank players think that he’s “too strong at his job”. Also, to a you saying he wasn’t balanced properly for 2-2-2…NO ONE WAS. and if you nerf reapers lifesteal, guess what? He still does 140 damage per shot. All the pellets hit because you have a big hitbox. And he still has the same exact dps. So he will still shred.

TL;dr: It is absurdly easy to kill reaper with main tanks and every off tank besides Hog and Zarya shouldn’t engage him anyway. Stop calling for nerfs and evaluate yourself and your rank before you say this character is op. Thank you.

2 Likes

Reaper needs NERFED to heck

6 Likes

He really doesn’t. Not at all.

1 Like

My Reaper is fine, it’s the other teams Reaper that needs to be nerfed.
This is really what nerf Reaper means.

1 Like

XD that is 100% true.

I’m having lots of trouble dealing with Reaper now as tank. Maybe OP doesn’t play tank?

I feel like I’m constantly saying “Reaper behind. Reaper to the left. Reaper high ground. Reaper is on me. Reaper killed me. Reaper on me.” And so on. I keep trying different tanks to counter him but if the team isn’t helping it’s very hard to shut down a Reaper on my own.

4 Likes

I do play tank. Rein mostly, and hog. And i understand it’s annoying that you can’t shut him down on your own, but you aren’t supposed to be able to. Overwatch is, very foolishly, built on the concept of hero counter hero. You aren’t meant to shut him down. I understand your team not helping sucks, bit that doesn’t mean reaper is op, it means your team is not paying attention. In that respect almost every hero is op.

It’s not like Reaper is one of the characters keeping Rein and Monkey from being viable.

I guess that’s my whole point is that I wish I could feel like I have a least some counter-play like I feel like I have against other dps, but with reaper if my team is doing something else than just hanging to peel for me then I’m screwed. The main reason I got burned out today was because of Reaper :(. He is showing up in a lot of my games and as a tank if the team isn’t helping peel them I’m toast. I know if I could rely on my team then it’s less of an issue. It’s just a weird feeling when I can do nothing but just die to it.

Winston will NEVER be able to deal with reaper. Ever. and Reinhardt can in fact deal with reaper with minimal team support. -Reinhardts inability to damage with shield up and doomfists insane cc is what is keeping him unviable.

Can a Rein out damage a Reaper 1v1 though? Rein has definitely been my best bet against him but if there is any pressure in addition to Reaper then again I’m dead.

1 Like

I get that. And i wouldn’t mind reaper having a lifesteal nerf if he got compensated, but most people just seem to Wanna nerf him without anything at all, just making him horrible.

So much wrong in this post its insane.

Though i do agree Reaper doesnt need a nerf.

Please feel free to correct. Any extra insight is helpful.

1 Like

or just someone that understand the game has been doing balance passes for well over a year based around trying to break down 3-3 comps…
So heroes like Reaper and also tank armor etc were based around the idea of what would be needed to punch past three tanks backed by three supports.

then the game went 222 and we don’t ever see 3 tanks or three supports anymore. Yet a whole lot of the 3-3 or more so anti 3-3 balance changes are of course still in the game. Reaper’s higher life steal being one of them.

His mobility changes are fine but his life steal needs to be toned down. It just does. If one can’t see it they are doing some classic “Paper is fine, Rock is OP… thanks, Scissors” vibe.
The game desperately needs to move AWAY from rev it up, smash into double shields with low aim, self sustain, higher HP heroes. Opening the door for a wider range of tanks to be played. If for no other reason than to drop queue times.

2 Likes

But do you not think reaper needs compensation for that? May I remind you that even before 3-3 was a thing, reaper was HORRIBLE

~83 dps.

vs

140 per shot + 56 hp healed per shot (assuming bodyshot point blank range) @ 2 times per second so…

280 DPS + 112 HPS.

If it’s a 1v1 and neither miss each other and doesn’t include any headshots then Rein’s damage is fully negated and he’s losing 280hp per second. I’d argue that Rein is not a contender for “easily” killing Reaper with a hammer solo.

Now to get even more technical.
300hp/200ar
So it’s now 80 per shot (4*20 due to armor reduce) for the first 3 shots.
80 dmg + 32 hp per shot for the first 3 shots.

1st second :
300/200 -160 = 300/40
250-83+64 = 231

2nd second :
300 - 180 / 40 - 40 = 120/0
231-83+88 = 236

Next shot by Reaper -> Rein is dead.

I think Reaper being a tank buster is ok, but to say Rein > Reaper 1v1 no team support is fairly uneducated.

2 Likes

why?
The compensation is 1 less tank to battle and 1 less support hero around to keep people healed because of 222 now. It’s absolutely bizarre to keep seeing people act like balance to combat 3-3 or just balance around unlimited any comp is same-same vs 2-2-2.

It’s like packing for a 3 months vacation to Hawaii, then getting the time cut down to 6 weeks and going “Yeah but I have all THIS stuff packed!! I have to bring it with me!”. No you don’t, being the entire trip time has been cut in half.

“Oh where is muh compensation!?! I’m having to fight 2 tanks now and not 3!!! I have to battle past 2 healers, not 3!! How can you expect me to do that!?!! I’m only balanced around there being three of both!!”
It just sounds, lets go with out of touch.

That’s why I Said with minimal team support. I did not say Reinhardt wins 1v1.

If Rein wins with any team support then Reaper easily wins with minimal team support.

The argument you’re making isn’t that main tanks can easily take out Reaper like in your OP

You’re saying team effort can take out Reaper.

Reaper alone can out heal Rein’s damage in a 1v1. That means Rein is going to need a full on support by another player in order to win his fight. That is nowhere near “minimal team support”.

Like I said, Reaper being a tank buster is ok but your arguments are super weak.

4 Likes