Stop putting golds in masters games and masters in high GM games

Yesterday for 3 hours in a row, 7 or 8 games, I kept getting put in games wildly far from my SR. I’ve been consistently 150-200 SR lower since role queue but in open queue I’m back where I was before role queue (3700-3900). I know there are golds placing in masters but I’m right where I was before.

Every game yesterday one of two things happened. Either I get put in games with players who are 4.4-4.5k in role queue where I’m getting flamed for being trash. Which, to be fair, I totally am compared to a T500 player. Then next game I get put in a low diamond game where several people on my team are 2.2-2.4k in role queue.

Then it’s me cringing at the actions of my teammates with situations like this happening non stop. People who think the only way to play is 3 on cart no matter what.

kill all but their tanks, we have 6 alive and a Lucio
Me-hey lets speed on their tanks
Lucio comes with me and 4 people sit on cart
We die in the 2 vs 2
Team-wtf are you doing up there?
Me-why did you not come with me?
Team-you were over extended
Me-so you have a mic, you wait until I die to tell me you don’t want to come with me?

6 Likes

I made a post about this same thing! I was told by at least 50 people I was BS, I clearly was making it up that Masters and Gold players can’t be in the same game. I was told since role Q its been a semi reg thing because of all the different sr / mmr settings. Flat out MM is really kinda broken, and Blizz won’t be doing anything until OW2 where they say only change can happen there.

3 Likes

This sounds like the population size in Open Queue is a lot smaller than Role Queue so it has to cast a wider net to find a match.

This would also explain why lower ranks in Role Queue get higher ranks in Open Queue.

The population is so small, it doesn’t take much to be GM there.

LOL. In low elos you trust no man. The whims of people down there is chaotic. Please have mercy on our souls.

3 Likes

Well, you aren’t going to get a gold open queue player in a masters open queue game. But you’ll get someone who is gold in role queue in a masters open queue game. I placed very similarly to my pre-role queue SR but somehow golds and plats are getting into open queue masters.

1 Like

This must be a PC related problem because I’ve never experienced this on console at all, ever. I’m a high gold low platinum player on a good day and I placed platinum in open Q. Like 2700. Be it what it may, that is still a far cry from top 500 or masters. Interesting.

Yesterday I saw some weird combinations in role queue. I’m low gold so I kinda expect to see either silver/gold mostly with the rare game with a low plat but never a silver and plat together. Yesterday I had 3 games with a mixture of silver and plat on teams. I guess the silvers were playing their promotion game and the plats were just hitting plat but still felt like a bit of a skill gap.

You get Masters and Gold players matched up in role Q

Why? Most people in gold and plat face masters and gm smurfs on a daily basis, guess it’s suddenly not funny when it happens to your masters and gm main accounts then.

Most of you brought this on yourselves tbh.

1 Like

There’s a difference between learning new heros and BEING that lower rank you’re at on a smurf acct and the matchmaker thinking “hey, this 2200 player belongs in the same game as a 3900 player”

As in currently ranked, in that mode, golds vs masters? I’ve seen plat and masters in the same game but the plat was 1 win from diamond and the masters was 1 loss from diamond, basically barely 500 SR apart.

Ikr? If I made a call like that, I’d be lucky for it just to be ignored, more likely it would trigger somebody into a rant about why it was a stupid plan and what little semblance of teamwork there is would entirely evaporate.

1 Like

What to say, it is result or MMR/SR reset in open queue :slight_smile: It will be better in few more seasons.

The worst part about creating games with large differences in SR that no one seems to talk about is when there is a smurf taking up one of the low SR slots.

For example, lets say you have a game where everyone on both teams is plat. But one of the teams has a plat who is really a diamond player on their main. It might still be winnable for the actual plat team if they get lucky.

Now let’s say you have a game where each team has 5 plats and 1 silver. But one of the silvers is a legit silver and the other “silver” is a diamond smurf. No way this game is winnable for the team with the actual silver. And these types of games are starting to show up a lot more lately.

2 Likes

Which is why I won’t place my open queue for now. Ended 3680 in open queue and role at ~2800, I either got bad after changing my sens too much or MM is broken. Feels like it’s a combination of both as games are either hit or miss.

6 plats vs 5 plats and a diamond is not as one sided as you think. Unless it’s like six 2500-2600 players vs five 2800-2900 players and a 3490 player. But 2800x6 vs 2800x5 + 3200x1 is going to have like a 47 vs 53% outcome.

The matchmaker ignore SR and ranks in it’s search. If it didn’t it would be super easy to maintain as a smurf in let’s say gold by simply throwing the last point to have a 50/50 win record even if you had the MMR of a top500 player.