[Still in the game] Mei can be pulled out of Cry-Freeze by Roadhog's hook

ye this happened to me in a game mei got in her block a split second before my hook got there put she still was dragged and i killed her

That’s what we call bad hook timing. These abilities ignore favour the shooter. Working as intended. You’re meant to bait these abilities out, not just throw random hooks and expect a free kill to be handed to you. You realize that due to latency it’d actually be physically impossible to reactively block hooks with defensive abilities if it favoured the shooter.

What doesn’t make sense is why when Mei times her defense properly (which is a lot harder than pressing shift looking in someone’s general direction) it fails and gets put on cooldown.

1 Like

Taken any looks at Mei’s Ultimate?

Here’s a giant laundry list of reasons it can fail.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/mei-fun-facts-about-blizzard/2862?u=greyfalcon-11737

By the numbers, it’s very avoidable, and provides only 1.3 seconds of actual zoning without additional frost blaster freezing.

1 Like

This exactly!
Heros with defensive abilities are balanced with that ability in mind. With a high ping rendering them pretty much useless they end up at a serious disadvantage against offensive heros.

The same thing actually goes for Tracer’s recall or Sombra’s Translocator. I can’t count the amount of instances when I pressed the cryo/recall/translocate key just before dying.

1 Like

Cool, now do you want to take a look at actually, properly buffing or reworking Mei so she can make it out of F-Tier?

I’d love to be able to play Mei in competitive without being yelled at to switch.

Your current PTR buffs do absolutely nothing to address her shortfalls or viability.

This is also an issue of “What happens when two things happen at the same side on the server”

The server has to choose someone to win the outcome when two things are processed at the same time by the server. Games like Super Smash Brothers have this issue with grapples. What happens when two players grab each other at the same time? Player 1 wins the grapple fight.

Overwatch has to create a tie breaker internally for each interaction that happens at the same time.

Latency of course can cause two things to be processed at once, but not be seen as though they happened at the same time.

Thanks for the update! Good to hear :slight_smile:

This happened to me. And on many occasions where I was fully in my cryo for a few seconds long before the hook was even cast. Ping is not a thing when I’m in cryo and a hook manages to pull me out after a long wait.

Also Junk can trap you while in cryo so when you come out you are already trapped.

Fix your bugs.

Blizzard posted a long time ago about favor the shooter and defense abilities. Favor the shooter covers aiming offensive skills for the location of people, but higher priority than that are defense skills like recall for example. That’s why your hook fails against all those other abilities, it’s a very specific intentional design to support counterplay to offensive abilities.

The problem is cryo should be one of those abilities, but it’s not for some unknown reason. There’s never been an explanation and we assume based on the intentional design that it’s a bug that it doesn’t function that way as Mei bugs tend to get ignored for forever.

You’re the best Geoff!
Thank you for looking at this bug.

:+1: I like the quick response my friend please stay frosty. (Also the bluepost tracking tools are going to be great if you guys stay this active. Just a bunch of good stuff all around.)

I do hope they address this and some of the other Mei bugs. She is just slightly UP. She doesnt need a big buff, just these bug fixes

awesome, it only took a year and a half :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, all Mei player has been waiting for this from a lot of time. What about projectile ultimates disappearing if the player is stunned or dies (like Mei’s Blizzard, Tracer’s bomb and probably Zarya’s graviton)?

1 Like

Any news on the rest of her bugs?
us.forums.blizzard com/en/overwatch/t/list-of-known-mei-bugs/1634

Didnt see any of these in the “known” bugs topic so i have no idea if you guys know about them

Oh almost forgot to ask, can we expect the same change for her walls as well?

1 Like

My reaction -> goo.gl/VDvvGE

1 Like

Just want to add that this is not only a problem with hook, but also flashbang, though the time window seems to be smaller

1 Like

are you guys maybe also fixing that roadhogs hook can break when you can clearly see the enemy that it landed on

After almost 2 years, It’s finally here!!!

Ty :heart: