Starting to believe OW comp rigged

Didnt we establish that the game will provide harder opponents AND weaker teammates (on the other side too - maybe (lets not get into the stack factor)?).

Thats “rigging” and or - matchmaking.

After awhile the game is going to make it hard for you, the only way out is to play “levels above”. Well for the average player that cant spawn skills ranks above, they’re going to naturally get to a 50/50 win rate - AT THEIR RANK.

How does one ensure they reach that? by using stats and ratings and algorithms.

How is it so hard to say one thing yet not accept the other?

If the system is so fine tuned and or faulty (people are faulty - the algorithm comes from a mind of a person, and implemented by people), that a person feels super hard games one time then super easy the next?

Now added boosted, and leavers (two games in a row I had a leaver does that count as a “loss”? should I stop now)… so now I am at 2010 (was 2488) but the game thinks I’m at my 50/50. So now I have to play like a diamond to get out of gold?

2 Likes

It’s literally showcased in my earlier post specifically the part that was requested to be cited - nor has there been any other case presented in this thread with any evidence. I don’t need a “case” when all signs point to one conclusion :slight_smile:

1 Like

People who say it’s not rigged are not the expected carries.

5 Likes

People who say it’s not rigged aren’t having issues climbing.

4 Likes

I wonder if there is any game where noone will have issues to climb. Like if its possible that 7 billion people on earth are CEO of their 7 billion companies. Imagine we would live in such a world.

1 Like

Clash royale solves that, maybe others too. They let people climb but theres a modified latter reset.

1 Like

Then we should all play Clash Royale :sunglasses:.

4 Likes

The whole competitive system is no longer competitive. You can’t and shouldn’t take it seriously, how can you take it seriously with the amount of players that have left OW, the players remaining smurfing on alt accounts, players who have been boosted to a higher SR than they belong and players who choose to throw to keep their SR down… When you factor in these type of players in your games, the match making cannot produce balanced games, no matter how hard it tries.

It’s not rigged, it’s just garbage.

8 Likes

That part is true. How many ppl even take comp seriously? Open que is like training for many

If you know it’s when you’re 1 win away, it’s 100% you and your nerves. Don’t watch your SR for 20 games and play your best. Then check where you ended up, and it’s highly likely you’ll have hit gold.

3 Likes

I looked at the evidence and I’m still not convinced it’s rigged.

What I’ve seen from my own experience as well as watching players do unranked to GM runs it is obvious to me the system isn’t rigged.

It isn’t perfect, by no means, but it isn’t rigged.

The downside of the system IMO is the fact that most players get placed in gold/plat, which for an old game like this means those ranks is a throw up of skill levels.

• Another downside is that you have to play a lot of games to actually be able to climb. If you don’t have the mental fortitude to withstand tilt, toxicity, etc, it isn’t fun at all.

• And also it does suck when you don’t really plan to play many games for the night. And maybe 2 games in a row you get a leaver.

These are LEGIT flaws in the system, it is punishing for casuals but that is the nature of competitive.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s rigged. People on here will deny it until they’re blue in the face. It doesn’t change the facts. Humans are very good at detecting patterns. Some refuse to believe their own eyes though.

3 Likes

That’s worth a try on that advice. Perhaps I am stuck going on discord and finding teammates rather than depending on the stupidity solo que

How is it rigged?

What’s your experience?

2 Likes

You go on a win streak. The game “balances” a match against you. It finds really awful players and puts you on a team with them. It’s like clockwork. There is a reason that so many players have come to these forums and complained about the exact same thing. It’s because this is what the game does. I suppose the matchmaker thinks “this guy is winning so he should be able to carry all of these other people who are not winning” as part of their 50/50 team balancing act. One 90 with five 40’s.

That might be true in a game like Call of Duty. It doesn’t work in a game like Overwatch. There are way too many things that can easily kill you and most characters have very little health. Despite what some of you like to claim, the people on your team affect the outcome of the game. Tanks with bad positioning or tanks that feed. Support that are providing no value to the team because they can’t aim and/or they are playing their character wrong. DPS that can’t aim, don’t peel, and try to flank alone constantly.

Numbers are already really important in OW. When you have teammates like this, they turn your matches into a 5v6, 4v6, or even a 1v6. Anyway, the game will seek out a team like this and place you on it after going on a win streak.

Despite all of this, it’s up to the individual to carry. You have to practice hard and get freakishly good. You can never make mistakes. You have to play perfectly. And even then, your team may still find a way to lose it for you.

Please stop pretending that all of the people who experience this same thing are just imagining what is happening. The odds of that being the case are extremely low.

3 Likes

I am in agreement. I took 2 days off 2 research how to play characters, VOD reviews, Battle.net forums, etc… I come back and get stomped by a smurf. Win 1, lose 1, win 1, lose 1… that exact pattern, today! Having that happen left me worse off than i started out. I can’t even get footing on adaptive playstyles with just 1 character being paired against alt GM accounts, not making it easier to carry anyone whatsoever. Kinda wish there was a learning curve in this aspect to help, but I’d be wasting my wishes, brainpower, and breath to hold hope to get myself out of bronze

2 Likes

But what you mention I do not see happen to players that place in GM. They continue on a win streak until they hit their destination.

What it does take for these unranked to GM run is a lot of time. These runs range from 6+ hours. 6 being actually considered short.

Players ultimately come to this forum and complain because they are losing. We all cannot win. It sucks but that’s the reality. This is a competitive game.

Again, why does the matchmaker think this? It simply tries to balance a team based on the parameters. I have climbed ranks, and I have fallen down and gotten into even long streaks of draw games. Such is the nature of being a casual player. I can’t do anything but focus on what I can do better, and also shoot the breeze with my teammates and against the enemy team. I learn to have fun with it, and stop caring.

Sometimes yes you do get legit new people. That’s because the system DOES place new people in gold/plat. It is very generous, but that’s not good because this is a 7 year old game. You end up with a huge variety of skillsets in gold and plat.

Of course your team mates do. To carry solo games you have to be very good at the game, to make up for the mistakes your teammates do make and carry. I mean ABOVE and beyond, where every ult you do has a significant impact.

There’s games I have crazy stats, and even still I will lose. Shrug! That’s how the game is. In the end of the day all you can do is focus on yourself, or get yourself a premade and climb that way.

As you climb you will get harder games. That’s how it’s suppose to be. Sometimes you get unlucky and get several games with people that rarely queue and bam…you have a bad game. It happens. Just gotta keep playing.

Exactly. It’s a very extremely compeititive environment. That’s how it’s suppose to be. If there is legit proof of players getting this good and making the climb that means if we all put in enough time we could get as good. Do I want to though? Not really. I play this game when I have a craving and after that I’m off.

No one is pretending. I do not see it. I have no reason to pretend either, I’m not some GM or even Masters player.

As for “many people are seeing it”.

There was a case with that with Itunes “Random”(shuffle) feature. People once complained it wasn’t random enough because it would perhaps play the same two songs 2-3 times in a row. What they didn’t know such is the nature of RANDOM, it isn’t really “random” in the sense of what we human’s perceive it as.

You can flip a coin, 50/50 chance for heads/tails. Yet you could get heads 6 times in a row. ON paper this is still RANDOM chance. But to us people it seems not be such, and someone would still be inclined to go with heads on their next guess just because of this.

2 Likes

That’s not exactly what we established.

• A great attempt at misconstruing language to fit your narrative, as always.

A great attempt at misconstruing language to fit your narrative, as always.

• You’re not defining weaker.

Weaker could simply mean lower APM.

• Which isn’t to be misconstrued as lower skill

Less actions per minute to achieve the same value output as another player.

• For Example.

I fixed it for you.

• Free of charge this one time.

Well… Yes, Bob… As you improve at something, the only way to remain stimulated is to seek out more challenging scenarios…

• The matchmaker does this for you :slight_smile:

A game increasing in difficulty as you improve is a natural progression.

If a Silver player is only winning 52% of their games, yes, they’ll eventually climb IF

• Big if, I know

They improve themselves. Otherwise they will continue to win/lose/win/lose and hover within their “current” SR for multiple cycles until:
A. They naturally improve and climb
or
B. The community out paces them and they slide further down the ladder

Yes, Correct.

Because you’re incorrectly defining the event taking place.

Community issue, not a match making issue. The software is only as competent as it programming. Fixing the smurfing/boosting issue isn’t as simple as people think it is in a game like Overwatch.

• I’ve literally proven that multiple times.
  • As have others.
  • Sure you could implement hardware bans but at least 1/10 of your community would disappear overnight. Then theres no reason for any of us to be here :slight_smile:

Yes

Yes

Addictive personality much?

No it doesn’t. Your peek SR is only 2488. That’s hardly impressive enough to hard carry your way out of Gold. You SHOULD be able to grind (over a couple days) back to 24xx (I would “guess” a 55-60%-ish winrate).

• Which is still pretty close to a 50/50. Every few games you’ll get some back to back wins and losses.

Pushing through 2499 will be a new level of difficulty for you (its really not super natural).

Well, its more like you have to consistently play like a 2500 player. When the system sees that you’re putting out stats more closely aligned with players (x-number) above your current SR, it moves you there.

• The burden of proof to show the match maker where you belong is on you.
5 Likes

You do as you are the one making the accusations of wrong doing.

I’m not. because they aren’t.

2 Likes

I am not advocating that the system is rigged, see my previous message above.

However, Blizzard are not transparent with the matchmaking algorithm. I remember and so will some of you, a long time ago if you lost a game it would sometimes tell you “finding a more balanced game” this always rang alarm bells for me, what did it mean by finding a more balanced game? Surely it should be matching groups by SR? Was my previous game not a balanced game created by the matchmaking?

3 Likes